H55F countershaft rear nut removal - impact wrench? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
eurasiaoverland.com
I'm tearing down my H55F as it needs an overhaul. I'm stuck on the 36 mm nut behind the 5th gear spline piece on the countershaft. I've got the box mounted on an engine stand, have unstaked the nut on both sides but just cannot break it free with a breaker bar.

The countershaft is held immobile by double engaging gears and I feel like it's not a good idea to shock the whole geartrain with an impact wrench, but I'm not getting anywhere with hand tools.

What do others think?

Thanks

EO

Someone may have used RED Loctite or equivalent in a previous rebuild. Red Loc need heat to release.

Thanks Spike Strip, good thought. With the stake nut it's possible to see down the threads a bit and I don't see any thread lock, plus here in Asia I would be very surprised if the street mechanics who invariably (and usually poorly) work on cars ever used threadlock. There's silicone on every sealing face and bolt (and some of the re-used 30 year old oil seals) but not on the lock nut.

I think I'll try a cheater bar next.

Milwaukee 1/2" Impact wrench knocks that output shaft nut off with ease (as well as every fastener on your Land Cruiser) without putting anything in gear. You wont hurt anything, the drivetrain sees way more torque and load from the engine in front of it
It's 2021, don't use your arms to break fasteners loose

Last edited:
Milwaukee 1/2" Impact wrench knocks that output shaft nut off with ease (as well as every other fastener) without putting anything in gear. You wont hurt anything, the drivetrain sees way more torque and load from the engine in front of it
Ha, thanks. You make a good point - that I don't need to double mesh the gears to hold the gear train steady. It wasn't the torque I was worried about but the shocking of the gear train.

I'll borrow my neighbour's Lucky Star / Golden Dragon impact wrench... it's not Made in Germany but it did break loose a very stiff crank pulley nut...

Thanks

EO

Last edited:
Milwaukee 1/2" Impact wrench knocks that output shaft nut off with ease (as well as every other fastener) without putting anything in gear. You wont hurt anything, the drivetrain sees way more torque and load from the engine in front of it
One of my best power tool investments.

One of my best power tool investments.

I refer to them as my “Milwaukee Holy Trinity”

1/2” M18 Fuel big boi Impact
3/8” M12 fuel stubby impact
3/8” M12 ratchet

what a time to be alive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom