H55F Compatibility (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried a quick search but never found what I was looking for. I am hoping the board can help educate me on the compatibility of a H55F seeing I am selling one of mine off but don't know what all it can mate too (except of course the 1HZ it was mated to originally).

So here it goes with my limited knowledge, feel free to chime in I'm hoping this can help others in the future:

B, 2B, 3B all accept the same spline shaft. What about a 13BT, 14B, and 15B, are they the same as the rest of the B family?

H and 2H would be the same so I assume the 12HT would be the same as well? Is a 2F and F not the same as 2H meaning the H, 2H, 12HT, F, 2F and maybe the 3F all take the same spline shaft?

What I do not know is where the 1HD and 1HZ fall into this. Yes they are a H series engines but I don't think that means much with these two when it comes to transmissions. Can a 1HZ H55F bolt straight up with any other transmission?

you can use B / H and F family with H55F tranny .. it's just a matter of

1. correct bellhousing

2. correct clutch disc and flywheel ( surface )

3. correct input lenght ..

Sure B engines are short so H55F must have longer input to work there ..

H and F engines are longer so short input there ..

old engines are 10 coarse spline input and new are 14 or 21 fine splines ..

thank you for your input. I do not know the year of the transmission but I am going to assume it is post-90 and it is from a 1HZ. That being said mine would be a fine spline and an older engine such as a 2F would not fit?

What is the spline count on a 2F. Is it the same as an F? I would think so.

I know that with the swap of a input shaft and you can mate it to just about any land cruiser engine, I am just curious to know which engines you can interchange a H55F between without swapping an input shaft.

so that would be the 1HZ and 1HDT that are compatible. That is not including a possible bell housing change.

Thanks for the help

3 H55 input lengths.

1) the 3B which fits all B series engines, is longest and 21 spline and uses its own bearing retainer on the front side of transmission.

2) the HZ which fits, HZ engines (and PZ). It is maybe an 1" shorter than a 3B input and uses the same bearing retainer as a gas/2H series. It also has 21 splines- and when used with an isuzu clutch disk fits behind a 1HD-T etc.

3) The 2H/F series which will bolt behind the H-2H-12H-T and F-2F-3F family of engines. A tad shorter than a HZ input and 10 splines.

The 1FZ does not accept the H55 transmission without work.

guessing here ..

If 1HZ / 1HD-T / 1FZ-FE share H151 / H150 tranny wonder why not think it's posible run one H55F comming from 1HZ behind 1FZ-FE engine ..

Wife FZJ80 with 1FZ-FE engine and H151 tranny looks pretty close ( to not say the same without proof ) to my H150 combo that I have in my HDJ80 ..

So I guess there is a chance you can make it work with the right Toyota parts ..

HD-T and 1FZ use 14 spline inputs on the H15x series transmissions.

HZ still uses the 21 spline.

There is no cast iron (H55) bellhousing for a 1FZ engine.

HD-T and 1FZ use 14 spline inputs on the H15x series transmissions.

HZ still uses the 21 spline.

There is no cast iron (H55) bellhousing for a 1FZ engine.

but if it's exist 1HZ - H55F bellhousing .. why not nuse this with 1HZ-FE . ?

Hi guys.

I'm new to this forum... hope you can help.

I have a '90 BJ73 with a 2.5TD VM... not a bead engine but there's only so many times I want to re-fit CHGaskets. I believe it has a H55F gearbox and I would like to swap out the engine for a standard Toyota (3.4?) lump... 3B, 13B.

Does anyone know about spline/input length/bell housing compatibility when it comes to ripping out the (effing) VM and replacing it with a 3B.

Thanks.

And for anyone with a VM engined BJ73 I've got all the data sheets etc etc...

Cheers all.

DD

Can you bolt a 3B H55F(out of a BJ 42) bellhousing to a 1Hz/1Hd without modification/adapters or are the bolt patterns as incompatable as the input shafts ? :confused:

Hi guys.

I'm new to this forum... hope you can help.

I have a '90 BJ73 with a 2.5TD VM... not a bead engine but there's only so many times I want to re-fit CHGaskets. I believe it has a H55F gearbox and I would like to swap out the engine for a standard Toyota (3.4?) lump... 3B, 13B.

Does anyone know about spline/input length/bell housing compatibility when it comes to ripping out the (effing) VM and replacing it with a 3B.

Thanks.

And for anyone with a VM engined BJ73 I've got all the data sheets etc etc...

Cheers all.

DD

To be honest Dan,these are as scarce as hens teeth.You would be about the 2nd or 3rd person to ever visit this forum with one,and maybe you were one of them.

I doubt whether they would have made a special H55F for the VM engine,so its highly likely it will be a 3B gearbox.

The South Africans also had a similar problem.They had BJ73 with an Alantic diesel fitted,basically a copy of a Perkins diesel.
Maybe someone on the S African forum would know,just a thought.
Maybe TMARX might know someone;)

The South Africans also had a similar problem.They had BJ73 with an Alantic diesel fitted,basically a copy of a Perkins diesel.
Maybe someone on the S African forum would know,just a thought.
Maybe TMARX might know someone;)

I wish ! We never got the BJ in any format but the 75 was available with that AAD motor. Sorry Dan. Id Ross is correct then you would require the 21 spline longer shaft than the one found in the 1Hz H55F combo.

Thanks !

Is the bolt pattern on the engine side that much smaller ?

there is a bit of discussion here about that .. but short bolt pathern not compatible and longer input shaft for the shorter engine ( B )

I wish ! We never got the BJ in any format but the 75 was available with that AAD motor. Sorry Dan. Id Ross is correct then you would require the 21 spline longer shaft than the one found in the 1Hz H55F combo.

We did have someone visit here once with an Atlantic powered BJ73 which we were led to believe was a factory jobby.
Of course this is the internet:D

Where do those BJ75 that crop up on the African continent come from? Are they European imports?
And what do they call the AAD 75 series?

European, Namibia ,Bots , Moz etc but they are very scarce

And what do they call the AAD 75 series?

Farmers would say F$%#ng diesel bakkie/LDV ? :D

I am searching for a pic of a vinplate...