H55F - best mod you can make (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.autohomeus.com
I just picked up my Cruiser (FJ60) from Mudrak today. Amongst other things, Gary installed a new 5 speed. I can now hold my head up driving on the freeway - with 31" MTRs and the 5 speed it cruises smoothly at 75 mph running at abour 2500 rpm. This is a HUGE difference in driveability. Also noticed much improved low end bite with the lower first gear.

This mod rates 5 stars *****!

Thanks, Gary.

Mike S

Congrats on your cool upgrade, I hope to get one of those in my rig one day.

A 5-speed manual definately sounds like it would be sweet in any old cruiser even if it has a v-8. my question is though. did you pay dearly for the tranny and install? thanks

MAF has used 5sp/split tc for sale right now for $1700, if I didn't just have to pay for a 2f rebuild I'd be jumping on that. I love my cruiser, but I'm constantly trying to grab 5th when speeding up on my '78 40, that's one thing it really need's, and it's my only complaint.

[quote author=Mike S link=board=1;threadid=8501;start=msg72324#msg72324 date=1070764710]
I just picked up my Cruiser (FJ60) from Mudrak today.
[/quote]

So you're the guy driving the Mini Cooper?

Dave

[quote author=folsom50 link=board=1;threadid=8501;start=msg72364#msg72364 date=1070770171]
MAF has used 5sp/split tc for sale right now for $1700, if I didn't just have to pay for a 2f rebuild I'd be jumping on that.
[/quote]

Inspect it before giving them your dough. Lots of folks have been burned on MAF's used H55Fs.

Really, what has generally been the problem? Just worn out, missing parts?

Just beat to crap.

after much consideration, this is a mod that i am goin to do on my 72 fj40. I have an '84ish 2F, so no worries on that part, but i am concerned about getting a quality tranny/xfercase.

where should i look at gettin one?

i have heard that you can actually get them from a dealer, and i've seen several for sale on this board and pirate, so what are y'all's suggestions.

please keep in mind that i'm in college :D, so i don't want to spend extra $$$ if it's not necessary.

also, i'll be doin the install myself more than likely.

thanks,
jonathan

What was the cost of install? Or how many hours to get it put in?

no problems with my H55F from MAF.

[quote author=drohweder link=board=1;threadid=8501;start=msg72390#msg72390 date=1070775047]
What was the cost of install? Or how many hours to get it put in?
[/quote]
Dan,
It would be a chore on the '55. The H55 uses a split case, meaning no more e-brake on the back of the transfer (or SOR's $450 split transfer e-brake setup). It's longer than a standard 4 speed by about 3" so you've got driveshaft issues to concern yourself with and possible front driveshaft clearance issues depending on how you support the tranny as they are normally supported under the tranny, not from the bellhousing.
For me it was easy because the BJ60's came with the H55 after 1983 so it was a bolt up install.

Cruiser Guy:
:'( you just rained on my parade :p Some day the pig will get a 5 speed....someday. No sense in taking out a perfectly good 4 speed right now. Man I love my pig but they seem to complicate every little thing you do. My mamma always said its hard being special :D

06Dec2003 (UTC -8)

Was yours the white FJ-60 with the 4-speed that had a chipped tooth? If yes, I helped take it out, and I even cleaned out the transfer case when we dissambled it. I even have my skin peeling off my hands due to the hours at the parts cleaner ;)

How do you like your GoodYear A/T tyres? I've been thinking about replacing the BFG Goodrich late next year or so.

[quote author=Mike S link=board=1;threadid=8501;start=msg72324#msg72324 date=1070764710]
I just picked up my Cruiser (FJ60) from Mudrak today. Amongst other things, Gary installed a new 5 speed. I can now hold my head up driving on the freeway - with 31" MTRs and the 5 speed it cruises smoothly at 75 mph running at abour 2500 rpm. This is a HUGE difference in driveability. Also noticed much improved low end bite with the lower first gear.

This mod rates 5 stars *****!

Thanks, Gary.

Mike S
[/quote]

Drexx,

you live in the napa/sonoma area? I'm in fairfield, should be meeting you soon and I plan on doing some PMC runs. Look forward to it.

dan

07Dec2003 (UTC -8)

Hiya Dan! Nope, I live in San Jose (60mi south of San Francisco). I went to Gary to hang-out and watch and learn. Better than sitting at home and watching Speed channel :D When's the next PMC run?

*BTW, sorry if you got miffed about that muffler bearing thing. It's been a good old joke that re-surfaces every now and then amongst forums and mailing lists. It's a perfect snag for somebody new to the group. ;)

The H55f I got from MAF wasn't too beat up other than a crack through one of the bolt holes for the transfer case. But they sent it with what looked like a brand new E-brake on the back. They advertise 27% overdrive for the tranny but I have yet to figure out how to get it. I keep counting revolutions input to output and still get 15%, can I just not count, or are there 27% OD H55's? When all was said and done I kept the tranny because of the E-brake parts that came free. I wasn't real pleased how it all worked out though. MAF tends to be my court of last resort now. Does anyone have experience with the over/under drive gear sets for the split case? good? bad?

New H55F from the dealer(any dealer can get them) will run $1800-1900, IMOP this is the way to go if your swaping a H55 into a late fj60 which already has a split t-case

If I was out shoping for a used H55F and split case I would try to find one from a Japanese Cruiser vrs a Aussie Cruiser, the Jap used stuff should/could have lower miles, less abuse than the Aussie stuff.

[quote author=beanz2 link=board=1;threadid=8501;start=msg72366#msg72366 date=1070770366]
So you're the guy driving the Mini Cooper?

Dave
[/quote]

Yep. Black w/white top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom