H55F B Series 21 Spline conversion to 10 Spline F Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All, so I’m way out of my depth here. I picked up a 10/85 FJ60 that I’ve been going through. Quite recently I unexpectedly fell into a 21 Spline H55F from a 3B truck. Now I’m trying to figure out if I can convert it to fit my 10/85 60. The B series H55F is a 1986

The guys at cruiser outfitters have been super helpful. I know that I need an input shaft and a bearing retainer. I‘ve searched the threads on here and I’ve pulled down the H55F Manual. Being upfront I’m tryin to swing well above my weight here, so before I start of on a fools errand I figured it would be smart to post on here and ask:

1. Is this conversion doable and worth it?
2. Has anyone on here done it and can give me some pointers?
3. What components other than input shaft and bearing retainer are needed?
8D517B9E-8AB6-4F05-82D9-93CAF59A4FF4.jpeg

I haven't done this but I will warn you disassembly/reassembly of an H55 is no easy task, as well as it will require multiple SST (special tools) you'll either have to make, buy or borrow. Impossible without the proper long bearing pullers. IIRC, the only difference is the Input shaft and Bearing retain, both of which are still available from Toyota ($$$) but may be available good used. That's a crap shoot. If you're taking it apart, it would be foolish not to do a full rebuild with a Japanese bearing/bits kit.

I'd say it's worth it if you're confident you can do the swap. If you have to have a shop rebuild and do the parts swap, you're getting close to the cost of the proper H55. And that's assuming there's nothing else wrong with it....

I'd say sell the B-engine H55 and find a F/H Engine one, but that's just my .02

Good luck.

What I have learned about this thus far because I’m in the same boat as you and well an LS would be a lot cooler than a turbo 3b

you’ll need a donor gasser 5speed transmission to pull the shaft out of.

If you have a donor gasser 5speed trans lying around, just use that 5speed

so basically it’s not worth it because you still need to locate a gasser 5speed to pull the shaft to then swap into yours, a lot of work when you can just run the gasser 5speed

find a 40 guy who wants the 3b that transmission and sell it

I think the motto "if you have to ask, it's out of your league" pertains to getting involved with swapping bits in a cruiser transmission.
I'm in full agreement with Spike here. Get the correct transmission or else anguish and suffering will take on a whole new meaning.

When I purchased my 5 speed eons ago, I decided to take my 4 speed all apart to learn all about it - and then put it back together. Guess what? I couldn't even get it apart- freaking impossible with the Snap-On pullers I had. I gave up on it.
Dealing with this transmission definitely requires experience and an armory of specialized pullers

short answer;

the B series/21 splined H55 was(?) a rarer transmission to obtain when I was involved, while the F series/10 splined were readily available.
post a sale/trade thread and forget about swapping bearing retainers and input shafts.

while the job isn't difficult with the right tools, obtaining the tools to use once or even paying a shop to perform the conversion isn't necessary in my opinion.

having "unexpectedly fell into a 21 Spline H55F from a 3B" may still be beneficial, just make a trade and or sale for the correct application.

It is still for sale, I do have a couple of people who say they’re interested but only tire kickers have shown up so far.

Sell that transmission to someone who needs it for their 3B and use the funds to buy the correct 5 speed. Having brand new H55fs that drop straight into an fj60 is a no brainer. Once you invest in parts and tools and knowhow to rebuild the old unit, you’ll be over the cost of a brand new one. I can almost guarantee it. Not to mention the headaches you’ll have when you inevitably screw something up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom