H55F and H55, any difference? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,
My 1992 HZJ77 had a H55F transmission and vacuum shifted split case transfer and I changed the whole transmission with what I believe H55 transmission with standard shifter transfer case. Everything bolted on fine but I now can't get acceleration as before. The car sounds and runs as it is shifted into low gears. In 5th gear I get only 50km/h showing about 3000 rpm. What might be the problem with this? Transmission shift fine but I can't shift to neutral also.
Thanks,
Davaa

interesting post, i just went and checked my stock 1987 BJ70 rag top and it has 'H55F' stamped into the id plate on the firewall

H55 is for B engines, H55F is for F/H engines.

A trailing "F" is for 4WD versions of Toyota transmissions, AFAIK...maybe only when there were 2WD and 4WD versions of the same tranny that had to be distinquished. Probably not universally or consistently used. At least in mini-truck and automatic tranny world, I think it's true.

Didn't at least some Coasters come with H55 2WD trannies?

Steve

Guys,
The seller said it is pulled from a HZJ series cruiser but not sure with PZ or HZ engine. Is there any possibilities h55f and h55 transmissions have different gear ratios or something like that? I suspect stuck transfer too because I can shift the transfer lever only two ways. Push forward shifts to 2H position /short drive shaft not turning/, pull rearward- the drive shaft turning so the 4wd is working, correct? But there should be a middle position to neutral. I can't get the lever into neutral. The lever moves sideways too but not getting into other positions. I need to make a decision. If this transmission won't work for my cruiser I want to pull it and return it to the seller and go look for another one which is hard to find here. But this I got at pretty good price $750US with the transfer and it seems to be a good one. I am not hearing any other odd sounds or vibrations beside the problem I tried to describe above. What do I do now?
Thanks guys.

check the linkage on the transfer. If the high/low lever on the outside of the case is loose it is possible for the internal lever to fall into the case a bit and loose contact with the shaft that moves the high/low fork.

Guys,
The seller said it is pulled from a HZJ series cruiser but not sure with PZ or HZ engine. Is there any possibilities h55f and h55 transmissions have different gear ratios or something like that? I suspect stuck transfer too because I can shift the transfer lever only two ways. Push forward shifts to 2H position /short drive shaft not turning/, pull rearward- the drive shaft turning so the 4wd is working, correct? But there should be a middle position to neutral. I can't get the lever into neutral. The lever moves sideways too but not getting into other positions. I need to make a decision. If this transmission won't work for my cruiser I want to pull it and return it to the seller and go look for another one which is hard to find here. But this I got at pretty good price $750US with the transfer and it seems to be a good one. I am not hearing any other odd sounds or vibrations beside the problem I tried to describe above. What do I do now?
Thanks guys.

I have a Toyota earbox manual somewere and Im sure there is no mention of a H55. I think there is some H50 for Dyna's etc,but these have very short bellhousings

On the manual shift t/case it should be
H2
l
H4-N-L4

My 73 series has a HZJ75 gearbox attached to a vac shift t/case from a FJ73 and it works fine.
Give the linkages on the t/case a good spray with lubricant

Always that I seen ( read on the net ) a H55F, thought it's taking a short reference for H55F .. as same as A442 instead off A442F ..

Tencha in the fireplate, had H55F printed ..

At the t-case problem .. why not trying direct on the t-case levers .. ( crawl under truck and move 'em )

moving the tcase shifter fore and aft is for 2wd to 4wd shifting...

ya gotta yank that sucker side to side to shift to neutral and 4 low. so, sounds like you need to give it a good yank to the left. :hillbilly:

Yup, your 4-low shift lever has fallen apart, is really loose or can't move because it running into the side of the hole??
The travel on these is about 3 inches from left to right at the boot?? if its not shifting and its moving that far its probably the linkage.

BTW; its a real PITA to look at! try looking in just below the passenger door with a good light! and try moving the shifter or pull the t-case shifter boot and see whats up?

Cheers

Lynch and Rosco, you guys hit the nail right on the head. The small lever stub sank a bit into the transfer so the lever wouldn't move completely. Now everything works fine and it shifts exactly as Rosco showed in the post. Now I will have to find a correct shifter knob.
Thanks guys!
Davaa

There is a FJ55 for sale on craigslist vancouver canada. The body is a bit different sort of trunk after the back seat instead of stationwagon. Never seen one like this bdfore

There is a FJ55 for sale on craigslist vancouver canada. The body is a bit different sort of trunk after the back seat instead of stationwagon. Never seen one like this bdfore

This one? Its been cut down,quite common in oz but I havent seen too many NA models cut like that.

01151101040401031020080507659bc5f2300ce341ac0005fd.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom