H55f 5 speed upgrade for 1987 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone looked at going to the 5 speed in their FJ60 recently? Just had mine "desmogged" due to smog pump and EGR issues. Then repainted it. The more I drive it, the more I'm getting frustrated driving 60 mph. CCOT has H55Fs with adapter kits for about $3,500. By the time I buy a bare H55F for about $2,500, pay shipping, then add the shifter, bolts and gaskets I'm guessing I will probably looking at around the same $. I've had good experiences buying smaller stuff from CCOT so probably should be OK. I had intended to put my "extra" 3F w/auto in it, but the auto was a junker after they looked into overhauling it. No joy there. Any suggestions out there.

Pretty sure all you'd need is the 5 speed. I don't recall the need for an adapter Kit? Of course while your at it rebuild the transfer case and don't forget the plastic fitting for the 5th gear oiler. You should be able to order the 5 speed from your local dealer, no shipping.
:beer:

You'll need to order the shift lever, shift lever seat and shift knob too if ordering directly from Toyota. Also the transfer case has a bolt hole that needs to be tapped & plugged with a brass NPT plug since that bolt is no longer used on the 5 speed. Also new gaskets all around and the transfer input shaft oil seal should be replaced.

You'll need to open the t/case to move it to the new transmission. Those are the gaskets they are talking about. If you have original copper gaskets you can reuse with some rtv but if it's been into and there are paper gaskets they are gonna tear. You'll need a oiler nipple...prob included in the adapter kit. and Agreed you will need a 5 speed shifter. Also worth the $$ to get a racer city 5 speed classic shift knob. Consider rebuilding your transfer case while its out. about $250 for a terrain tamer kit. Comes with gaskets, idler shaft, new bearings for the idler, new o ring seals for the idler shaft and speedometer, new idler shaft thrust washers, new bearings for the front and rear output shafts. stake nuts for the output shaft companion flange

I bought a tcase from Valley Hybrids and had it rebuilt and mounted to the H55 and shipped to me in one unit. They have done a ton of them and I was sure it would be done right. installed and sold my existing 4 speed and transfer case locally. I know some other guys here in the Houston area that did the same. Either way, they are a great resource for parts if you dont go the full route with them.

js

H55 is a huge upgrade from the 4 speed both on and off road. Better for highway speed and acceleration and better for off road grunt. Keep in mind that a 2f pig is still a pig even if you put it in a tu-tu.😁

How are you only doing 60 in it with the 4 speed? What size tires do you have?

I wonder if the speedometer is reading low.

Has anyone looked at going to the 5 speed in their FJ60 recently? Just had mine "desmogged" due to smog pump and EGR issues. Then repainted it. The more I drive it, the more I'm getting frustrated driving 60 mph.

why do you only drive 60?
I drive 70 in mine.(when it runs)

I upgraded to the 5 speed and it really is the best upgrade you can do. I like to take mine to a lease about 2 hours away. Going to a 5 speed brings your RPMs down about 500. I only use 5th when I get out on the freeway and you will never see 3000 rpm again. Mine is desmogged as well with headers and a weber 38 carb. Idles at 600-650 and is like a race car compared to when I got it. Dont get me wrong, everyone still passes me, but if I want to get up and go I can, and I can certainly keep up with traffic on the freeway....at least the ones that drive 70-75.

Just put 33s under it with the h42 and 370 rears....you'll end up with about the same final ratio as an h55 with 411 rears and 33s.

I have this in my desmogged FJ55 (swapped 3.7 gears in) with the 4 speed and 33x10.5 tires. It'll run 70mph on the freeway just a hair under 3k rpm, while speedo reads 58mph.

OP, if you have non-stock tires, get a GPS app on your phone and check your real speed.

I have this in my desmogged FJ55 (swapped 3.7 gears in) with the 4 speed and 33x10.5 tires. It'll run 70mph on the freeway just a hair under 3k rpm, while speedo reads 58mph.

You spelled 2500 wrong.

20180621_143311.jpg

So... Is the FJ60 stock rear differential ratio 3.70 or 4.11? I read in another thread that the FJ60 is already 3.70, while the Fj62 is 4.11. If that's the case it appears that my only option is the 5 speed. Or am I missing something? I'm running 31x10.5 tires right now.

Using NocalFJ60's gear calculator; @2,500 rpm with the 31x10.5s, I get 73mph w/H55F and 62 mph w/H42. I got 66 mph w/H42 and 33x10.5s. Kinda in the middle. Gonna have to ponder this a bit.... Thanks for the help guys. Have a safe and fun holiday.

I intend to do the H55 and 4.11's. final drive ratio is nearly the same as the 4-speed with 3.70's running 33 in tires.

Assuming that NocalFJ60's gear calculator is correct, that combo should run 70 mph @ 2,500 rpm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom