H55F on a 1984 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Things can add up quickly, but the 5-speed is worth it.

The bearing retainers have two bearing sizes and I'm aware of two lengths for the throw out bearing to ride upon. The one in your picture is for the larger bearing diameter of the later transmissions. In that respect, it's a match to the one I have.

Things can add up quickly, but the 5-speed is worth it.

The bearing retainers have two bearing sizes and I'm aware of two lengths for the throw out bearing to ride upon. The one in your picture is for the larger bearing diameter of the later transmissions. In that respect, it's a match to the one I have.

im horribly confused, if i get the correct input shaft what else am i needing to modify? i have a split t-case and a 1984 block, but with your input shaft (no homo) i should be done modifying the 5speed... right?

Just the input shaft & bearing retainer is what you need... I think you're okay with the top plate you have. The bearing retainer is what holds the input shaft/bearing. So, that swap happens at almost the same time during a rebuild.

The transfer case is fine, but you should rebuild it while you're rebuilding the 5-speed. If that's the original transfer case to that transmission, it should be a 38 mm case.

Quick question about your picture... Did it come with a bell housing? Follow up question if the answer is, "yes"; is this a cast iron bell housing?

Last edited:
the bell housing is aluminium, and i dont think i need it as i can use my existing bell housing, and i looked into the retainer bearing deal, all the input shafts are interchangeable if the year is later like you said. some h55f and split case tech i have the 1985... im having a hard time confirming that i aswell have the larger retainer bearing, im short on time today and dont have time to check the year on my t case. if im correct they changed bearing sizes in mid 1985 so i have a 50/50 shot -.-

No rush... I can use the bell housing too. From the picture you posted, it's definitely the larger diameter input bearing. The following thread has side by side pictures to show the differences:

Wanted - H55 86-newer nosecone BJ7*

ok so just to be completly clear, we're trading imput shafts, but what about the snouts in that link you posted? will we need to trade those?

Yeah... that's the bearing retainer. I have a brand new one to trade for yours.

Working on mine too... Do you have the factory manuals? Got to pull the bearing to the counter shaft before you pull the bearing retainer that's on the main shaft.

I downloaded one so i should be in good shape, im not looking forward to this part, theres alot of discouraging posts about these... but hupefully i get lucky and all goes well

I've rebuilt a 4-speed and a 5-speed out of a Toyota pickup. I think the toughest part with those was the long-jaw puller. There wasn't much room for the hooks... I used a grinder to modify some I had. I can't find them at the moment. So, I'll be making a new set tomorrow.

When I did this, I used a PosiLock puller that Mudrak had. It made this job a 2 minute effort. The pullers are expensive though.

When I did this, I used a PosiLock puller that Mudrak had. It made this job a 2 minute effort. The pullers are expensive though.

I know... I had sticker shock when I looked into purchasing the SST a decade ago. I think the puller I modified was $15 from the local parts store. I used the modified arms with another puller to make one that worked.

Im at the puller stage. I cant fab up anything to work, it just bends out. I took everything off i could, im stuck at the bearings

there's not much of an opening to get the hooks in. I'm getting ready to modify these.

image.jpg

I got one bearing out with a steeringwheel puller, but the tool is a rental so i cant really cut it up... im about to goto a budy of mines shop and see of he has a puller i can use.

Im stopping work untill i can get the right tool before i break something. I got a gear puller to fit in a unique way but the bolts on the puller broke under load... is the extended bearing/gear puller something i can borrow from toyota?

It was getting too late for me to be using the grinder. I had to quit before pissing off the neighbors, but I'm getting close with one of the puller arms. You may be able to take it to a Toyota mechanic and have them pull it for you. I'd be surprised if they were willing to loan you the SST since it's so $$$$. The SST is on a different level when you compare it to those cheap "loan-a-tools" from the local parts stores.

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom