H55 wont go into fifth gear no warning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
H55 transmission hooked to a 3B 1,2,3,4, and reverse work fine fifth is now locked out no warning at all, sudden no grinding sounds just wont go into fifth now.
58958932745__B2766064-9E6C-471E-BBD1-19D78E5910B6.JPG

a little more detail,
does the shifter move into position but no drive? set screw loose on external linkage
try pulling up on the shifter and moving? shifter seat
will it go into gear with the engine off?

a little more detail,
does the shifter move into position but no drive? set screw loose on external linkage
try pulling up on the shifter and moving? shifter seat
will it go into gear with the engine off?
Thanks for your response. The shifter will not go into position. Don't know the location of the set screw. Shifter will not pull up. It will not go into gear with engine off. Oddly enough it will shift through all the other gears and reverse easily.

assuming you've owned this for a while? it does actually have a 5 speed?
if it is not going into position, you'll need to remove the stalk and look inside the trans, sounds like a shift rail issue

Try rowing through all the gears with engine off. When everything is right, it's easy to shift through all the gears easily (including 5th).
If you can't get it to plop down into 5th, there's a linkage problem.
Where the problem might lie is inaccessible with the transmission mounted in the cruiser.
As mentioned by 3 puppies, check the shift lever rubber seat (cushion) that mounts between the shift lever and top housing neck.

The easiest fix is just drive in 4th gear.

Try rowing through all the gears with engine off. When everything is right, it's easy to shift through all the gears easily (including 5th).
If you can't get it to plop down into 5th, there's a linkage problem.
Where the problem might lie is inaccessible with the transmission mounted in the cruiser.
As mentioned by 3 puppies, check the shift lever rubber seat (cushion) that mounts between the shift lever and top housing neck.

The easiest fix is just drive in 4th gear.
Thanks for your response. Linkage problem makes sense to me.... My fourth gear seems kinda low the little 3B should not rap that high and I have issues slowing down. Thanks again

With the engine off push in the clutch, shift to 2nd then 5th does it go in? If not check linkage

With the engine off push in the clutch, shift to 2nd then 5th does it go in? If not check linkage

Not to hijack, but my h55f has started to become very difficult to shift into first from neutral unless going to second gear and then first gear. Worse when warm. Any idea why? Was following this thread since the OP has a similar issue.

Not to hijack, but my h55f has started to become very difficult to shift into first from neutral unless going to second gear and then first gear. Worse when warm. Any idea why? Was following this thread since the OP has a similar issue.
Sounds like synchronizers to me ......... Keep in mind my knowledge is very limited, but my 1981 Corola did the same thing and thats what they sold me. I did drive it like that until the clutch needed replaced tho.

in this thread you can see the external linkage I was referring to in my first post, maybe something is jammed between the rubber boot and transfer case??

double checking the shifter will move to the right and go into reverse but not move toward the dash to go into 5th?

Last edited:
in this thread you can see the external linkage I was referring to in my first post, maybe something is jammed between the rubber boot and transfer case??

double checking the shifter will move to the right and go into reverse but not move toward the dash to go into 5th?
That is exactly it.

update?

Reactions: OSS
It is in the transmission shop and I have no updates from them yet. Getting a little nervous about SAS hope its done in time.
Just had the injection pump rebuilt and it is running great would hate to miss SAS

Worn shifter seat (blue/black hard rubber/plastic) and/or shifter ball bushing (nylon plastic piece at the end)? Easy to check if you pull the top loader.

Last edited:
Got the truck back from the transmission shop Friday. Not 100% sure what happened the only explanation he could give me was a rock or dirt had lodged itself on top of the transmission and was preventing a external pin from moving properly. The transmission shop did not even charge me. I looked around the transmission as much as I could and power-washed the under carriage before I took it to them and was not able to see or dislodge anything. Thanks to all of you for your help in the end those who said a linkage problem were right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom