H55 transportation question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrK

Threads
has anyone tried to shove h55 into their airline luggage? I know this sounds insane but I have an opportunity in coming months to do so.

I’m sure it would fit in a luggage, but I think you’d do better with a bit more packing protection and paying for it to be an oversize/weight item - the stuff that gets handled with the golf clubs and children’s car seats.

You’d probably want to drain the gear oil out and put a few bags around it.

Reactions: MrK
You’ll want to crate it into the smallest size possible and the measure the total linear inches (L + W + H), then weigh it. Once you have these dimensions, call your airline carrier for options and pricing. You won’t get away with transporting this as part of your regular free or low cost baggage, but it is a viable option that you’ll just have to pay extra for.

The box Toyota uses to ship a new H55F in is big and robust. The hazard is the input and output shafts getting smacked. They stick out and need to be fully supported in case of a box rollover. No way you're gunna be able to ship that big heavy sucker on checked baggage- nor would you ever want to. The box will be too heavy and awkward for a baggage handler (and you) to deal with at the gate.

I could be wrong about it not being 'possible', but personally I wouldn't even consider it.

Your best bet is to call the airline you intend to fly with and ask them. I've checked a bag of driveshafts and other miscellaneous parts before on my way to a race but that bag didn't weigh 200 pounds and it was easy to move around.

Think I’m gonna brake it down to pieces and take it in 2 check in bags. Trans drained should weigh 152. Bags for me are free no matter what airline I use.

Think I’m gonna brake it down to pieces and take it in 2 check in bags. Trans drained should weigh 152. Bags for me are free no matter what airline I use.

Serious?? If you don't give the airline some notice on what you want - A) Your transmission might end up in Bangkok,
B) If you are courteous and let them know, it might not end up in Bangkok where you will never see it again.

Some airlines did air-freight shipping in the past - maybe they still do? But, two related stories:

In 1990, I hand-carried an FJ40 PTO winch gearbox on a flight out of Boston years ago (well before 9/11) and after a lot of head-scratching and opening my greasy box, the exasperated check-in guy said 'our X-ray machine won't to through the gears' (pronounced 'geehs' in Boston) and he said 'don't ever bring stuff like that on the plane again, ok'? - but he tagged it and let me carry it on.

Just to add insult to injury, I was told I could not ship the PTO winch driveshaft because it was 'too long' - so I asked about downhill skis, and they said 'those are ok, because they are skis' - so I boxed up the driveshaft in a long cardboard package and told them it was 'skis'. The visible u-joint at one end may have led them to know this wasn't true. My 'skis' also weighed 35 lbs. The driveshaft arrived on the 'ski carousel' at my local airport. I doubt I would try either of these stunts today.

The last odd thing I checked in as luggage was a mountain bike frame. I had wrapped the whole thing in many layers of bubble wrap and plastic and they had no issue with it. but it was clean and light

im gonna take it apart and getting all cleaned up so I don't have no grease or anything. but I think it will be worth a try to get it through regular checked baggage. I will make sure to talk to them in advance but 350EURO VS 3K$ is a big difference

has anyone tried to shove h55 into their airline luggage? I know this sounds insane but I have an opportunity in coming months to do so.

Your kidding right? I will play along.

You have lots of things against you
1 Weight (most airlines are 50lbs in Economy and 70lbs in Business/ First, over that you pay more and it most likely will go air cargo)
2 Extra bag fees can be brutal
3 Security checks
4 Outbound customs
5 Inbound customs

Weight will be the problem here. Each bag has a maximum weight limit and you are allows so many bags. Each extra bag can be $$$
if you are flying from overseas then you may want to look at the air carries policies. Almost all international carriers (except for charter or low cost airlines) still do air cargo.
The same may go when you try to bring this in. Do not think for one second the airline will not flag you with customs at the destination.
Air cargo is done by weight and it is not cheap, this does not include the inbound Customs or any export costs.
Airlines are super strict on baggage, more so now than ever.
I have logged enough hours flying that I would never recommend this. Plus I worked for an Air cargo and then an Airline handling company for years.
What I have learned
1. Airlines are cheap and will get money from you where they can.
2. if your pet cannot go on the seat next to you, or under the seat in front of you, leave them home. Never put you pet in the belly of an airplane.
3. Baggage handlers are beasts and your bag is a play thing. Expect anything fragile to get broken. When I was a baggage handler some 25 years ago, that large bag always fit, even when there was not room. Something got squashed. you would think in 25 years things have changed......nope.

alternatively....shipping via greyhound or equivalent may still be a thing...used to be a pretty cheap way to ship things long distance

Your kidding right? I will play along.

You have lots of things against you
1 Weight (most airlines are 50lbs in Economy and 70lbs in Business/ First, over that you pay more and it most likely will go air cargo)
2 Extra bag fees can be brutal
3 Security checks
4 Outbound customs
5 Inbound customs

Weight will be the problem here. Each bag has a maximum weight limit and you are allows so many bags. Each extra bag can be $$$
if you are flying from overseas then you may want to look at the air carries policies. Almost all international carriers (except for charter or low cost airlines) still do air cargo.
The same may go when you try to bring this in. Do not think for one second the airline will not flag you with customs at the destination.
Air cargo is done by weight and it is not cheap, this does not include the inbound Customs or any export costs.
Airlines are super strict on baggage, more so now than ever.
I have logged enough hours flying that I would never recommend this. Plus I worked for an Air cargo and then an Airline handling company for years.
What I have learned
1. Airlines are cheap and will get money from you where they can.
2. if your pet cannot go on the seat next to you, or under the seat in front of you, leave them home. Never put you pet in the belly of an airplane.
3. Baggage handlers are beasts and your bag is a play thing. Expect anything fragile to get broken. When I was a baggage handler some 25 years ago, that large bag always fit, even when there was not room. Something got squashed. you would think in 25 years things have changed......nope.
In my situation uncle sam is covering weight of my bags up to 3. and I know there is a weight limit per bag which is why I would distribure parts equally between bags. the only issue I see if customs don't like the disassembled parts inside the bags but at the same time I won't be breaking any faa rules. I am ok with loosing 350$ if something happens, but its worth risking that $ in my eyes.

Dude, crate it. Try checking it. Play dumb when the airline employee points and snickers. Tell them that it belongs to an ailing family member (mumble something about the need for an iron lung and regretting dropping acid about an hour ago). Hand them your credit card and walk away (they will call you back after. They dealt worth the shipping and will hand you your credit card back)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom