H55 transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a rot box, BJ60 1983 ,3B,h55f , blue, but not quite a fred flintstone machine.
I got it fired up , and took it for a death drive, crappy brakes , 4 flat spotted tyres , smelly mold all over , but the trans shifted all 5 and reverse , , Low worked also , plus 4L , I was amazed that it moved so well, stopping sucked , seized everything ..

So after removing the engine and the trans, pressure washed off the years of goop, I drained the trans & T-case to find clean hypoid gear oil , slight fuzzy magnetic pick ups , and higher oil level in the main case than the t-case , but the amount for both would put the levels correct for both.

So reading I see that a seal failure, pumps oil out of the T-case into the main transmission , but a transfer tube system is fitted to remedy that .

I was also told that drilling a T-case gear selection shaft to prevent that shaft from dropping and loosing the ability to pick up again , was most beneficial..

So since this is a transmission sitting on the floor, clean as the pressure washer can do. Besides new yota output seals , and what I explained above , should i run with the unit , Or any other known facts whilst its clean and on the deck..

????

VT

Remember the hose between the tcase and tranny is only a band aid, not a permanent solution. The best thing to do is replace the seal. Sorry that involves a tcase teardown but it's easier now than later.

If you are talking about drilling the lever on top of the tcase I wouldn't bother unless you plan to remove the lever on a regular basis. Sounds more like overkill than peace of mind. And what goes in the hole you drilled to prevent the shaft falling into the case? About the only time it will fall into the case is when we remove the lever on top, I have never seen the lever loosen on it's own.

What I have found almost always there is a small amount of corrosion on the shaft that helps prevent it from sliding past the seal into the tcase unless you press it through. Just make sure the lever is secure and you will be fine.

Other than that I would run it.

Bad brakes could be that vacuum pump by the way.

Tony

heh, I was watching that one...

t

Bad brakes could be that vacuum pump by the way.

Tony

Cheers Mr Tony

Ya I was wimping out, So i have a few T-case kits on order.
I just need to figure the seal. As with the drilling of the selection shaft, that process I also wondered if the bell crank would ever come loose . I would just drill & tap a thread , Install a bolt with a point .

Now the Brakes were two front seized calipers, and the rear brakes were also seized, till they had the brake line feed blow from pure rust.

I was just making sure with the known group in regards on the trany.

Best to ask the group who runs these, so the seal is in the T-case section ?

I do believe that I read that it was, and the patch was a transfer tube, but good as a secondary .

VT

If you have a tcase rebuild kit on the way, it should be in it. The seal that causes the problem is the one in the forward section of the tcase that the main transfer gear rides in, its the only place that parts go between the two cases.

There is not a way to drill the bell crank on the selector shaft. The bell crank is formed from bent metal not a solid piece.

Tony

I do believe that I read by cutting a bracket and bending some shift gate , that 2 low range was also now possible , or was it another trick ?

I have searched , but sometimes , It could of been some other truck or story.

The reason Im asking is because this is the time when I'm re-bearing the T-case and it's out.

Thanks VT

Last edited:
Ahh Kewl , Thanks Spike !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom