H55/ T-Case Gear Clanking Sounds.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Figured I’d bounce this one off everyone to see if anyone experience a similar issue

I’m hearing very loud gearing sounds when I’m coasting in the truck. The higher the speed the higher the frequency.

It occurs whether the truck is in gear or in neutral, and engaging the clutch has no effect on it.

Note:
U Joints are three weeks old (no play)
Trans and t case fluid was changed about a month ago

Video of the sound as it occurs
H55 / T case sounds

Time to open up the t case

Reactions: OSS
Even in TC neutral all the input and idler gears are spinning, only thing disco’d is the output.

whatever is causing that racket - it's not good. Guessing what it imight be before disassembling stuff won't accomplish anything. Transfer case and transmission and clutch parts need to be inspected. The culprit will likely be easy to see

I would just pull the t-case apart under the truck since it is most likely in there. Just a hunch but sounds T-case-y to me. Especially with your speed/frequency remark.

Unfortunately, I just went through this. For me it was my trans but based on the frequency of the thud, it may be your t-case. Especially if you get the sound rolling through all your gears.

When I did the same test, running through all the gears with t-case in neutral, then the I heard nothing. It was only when there was load on the driveline when I heard the sound and only in 3rd. I may have video recording of mine and the sound was identical but thud was more spaced out but the same "thud" sound.

Re-reading your post and you say it happens with the trans in neutral too? I assume the truck was stationary when you were rolling through the gears with the tc in neutral? Does it coincide with engine speed or ground speed? If it does with the trans in neutral it wouldn’t be t case unless the truck was also moving.

Re-reading your post and you say it happens with the trans in neutral too? I assume the truck was stationary when you were rolling through the gears with the tc in neutral? Does it coincide with engine speed or ground speed? If it does with the trans in neutral it wouldn’t be t case unless the truck was also moving.
Noise in all gears, lifted not moving, transfer in neutral

noise reminded me of a broken flywheel,,, but I’ve not herd of that on bigger trucks usually small cars or automatics...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom