H55 or NV4500 for the LV, kicking around options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been casually starting and driving the fj45LV close to home before it snowed last week. the Toyota 4 speed mated to the Chevy swap it has just doesn't feel smooth to me and I would love a 5th gear.

Anyone have any opinions here on this? I have read the nv4500 is a great transmission and very smooth. What's required to pull this off, any additional brackets required to support this?

I only know the H55 as the other 5 speed tranny as I have never had a Chevy swap cruiser before. I really just want to be able to drive it on the highway this spring once the snow has melted. I may have only a couple more days to get and drive it before springs since we have quite a bit of mud on the ground.

Anyone have a different combo with engine tranny they can recommend for a good driver in town and some highway?

Have owned two H55's but both were in a 2F, I really really liked both however. Not a cheap swap, but if money wasn't an object that's the route I would go. I was sure I was going to do the same swap on my LV, but a few years later (and maybe me just getting older) I'm mostly ok with the 4sp thats in it now. I just don't really take it freeway driving, folks in Phoenix are always in a rush :)

Well since closest freeway in 90 miles away sure don't need to do that. Next year I would like to drive the LV to work couple days a week and that's 120 miles round trip on 2 lane highway. Onur threw couple of engine options at me yesterday including the 1FZ and 2UZ which I have zero knowledge about but am going to look into some. Something reliable with a good 5 speed is all I really want in the big picture. Engine swap doesn't and won't be anytime soon since other projects need to be done first.

Figure I could throw H55 in and swap to different engine if and when that time comes. Or I could do the NV4500 with ease and cost but may require mods that the other option may not require.

I would imagine that there could be some folks in your area that might have one of each the transmission options you’re looking at.

Again my only experience is the H55 but it shifts nicely. More like a car. Maybe someone here can confirm that the NV4500 shifts rougher?

If you drive on the freeway I think either would work fine in 5th gear. The feel of the shifting is what I have heard is the biggest difference.

H55f shifts exactly like the 4-speed, but with an extra OD gear. That’s because all it is is a 4 speed (h41) with an extra gear added to the end of it. The 1st gear of the h55f is very low like on the non-USA h41 and requires shifting in about 1.5 seconds while driving on the road. It’s a great all-around transmission with a proven track record, except for that pesky popping out of 5th gear issue that develops after a couple hundred thousand miles.

if buying used, be sure that the 1-2 synchro assembly is in good shape. You’re better off buying a new transmission if you have to replace that.

Have had both, h55 is great, nv4500 is very nice as well. I had no complaints about shifting, pretty darn smooth for a big heavy truck transmission. Nv4500 a little cheaper, but not by much after you get the bellhousing, adapter to the transfer case, linkage, shifter etc

Helped a friend install an NV4500 transmission into his Jeep TJ using Advance Adapters’ kit. I think you’ll be happy with the shifting feel of either the H55F or the NV4500. Just keep in mind, how the combination of gear ratio for the transfer, differentials, transmission and tire size impacts useability of each gear throughout rpms. There’s a few people that don’t like how low 1st gear is on the H55F for daily on road use.

Just my opinion... buyers seem to pay a pretty penny for pure Toyota even if it’s not an original option to the vehicle. I liked how my BJ42 drove on the highway with the Toyota 5-speed. I was running 4:11’s on 33 inch tires.

1st gear on the Troopy actually requires me to shift in the intersection when turning. Great for creeping though. I don't mind it all and just want the 5th gear possibility. The Troopy is actually getting the H55 swap this winter and is sitting in my garage.

I am leaning towards the H55 as I am one of the Toyota loyalist even though the Chevy seems to have plenty of power and hard to throw any stones at it. If I were to do the H55 then it would be easier if and when I could an engine swap. I'm not opposed to diesel swap either as I love the reliability of them.

With the current 4 speed I assume the H55 could also require less mods if any with tranny hump but I am a total idiot with this stuff.

Appreciate the help folks!!

I’m enjoying the conversation. I’m trying also to decide engine and transmission for my LV even tho I’m a ways off. If I wasn’t worried about gas mileage I would be all over a 2uz or a 2f with a sniper kit paired with the h55. But there is something about a diesel. I’ve owned several ford and Isuzu diesels. For me I dream of a trip snow skiing, camping, or something and taking the lv. Something nostalgic about it in my mind. But I hate the thought of sucking gas and spending a fortune to get there on gas. I know it’s probably a stupid argument because every Land Cruiser I own gets terrible mileage. I have 2 Isuzu diesels at my shop waiting to be put in something maybe with an NV 4500. Probably cheapest for me since I have the engines. But then I think I hate not staying Toyota. It just bugs. I just got a 2h diesel for another 45 I’m going to see how I like it. Any way just dreaming. I need to make a decision!!!

I too threw the idea of different engine like a 3F around (no clue why) but Onur educated me about parts availability and pretty much squashed that one.

I am currently in process of having 3B rebuilt and literally just emailed Engines Australia looking for Main Bearing. I really love the diesels for sure and that would be ideal but in reality the parts for 3b little scarce and not getting better. Once @bottombracket gets some of his rigs completed I have to go drive one and see what they are like.

Jon, I just bought a 15BFT Mega Cruiser motor...it will arrive in a while, and will eventually end up between the frame rails of Barney the purple 40, with an h55 behind it. Now THAT would be fun in the LV!

Jon, I just bought a 15BFT Mega Cruiser motor...it will arrive in a while, and will eventually end up between the frame rails of Barney the purple 40, with an h55 behind it. Now THAT would be fun in the LV!
Should have purchased the Mega cruiser for sale in Colorado Springs, looks pretty knarly!! Your right indeed, that would be a ride to remember!!

Whatever you can find, I have the h55 and have also the h41 on another criuser. You can second and possibly on third gear but the time you get done making a turn at an intersection. For daily driving I quickly noticed the engine RPMs on overdrive. No experience with the Nv4500 but I'm sure it will do fine. It's been used for years on cruisers.

I don't know much about them thar NV4500's, but the H55 is a sweeter shifting experience than an H41. This is due to the ball and nylon bush arrangement on the bottom of the stick over the earlier slotted deal. I'll try find a pic.

I’ve always wanted to see a 1fz with the auto trans from an 80 :eek: installed in a troopy or LV....I mean I get that the manual trans just looks correct but the wheel base is there for the longer transmission.

I’ve always wanted to see a 1fz with the auto trans from an 80 :eek: installed in a troopy or LV....I mean I get that the manual trans just looks correct but the wheel base is there for the longer transmission.

budget a few hours and read through this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom