H55 input shaft play - what is ok? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not on the website.... can not find an input shaft for sale for a BJ engine, only H and F...

my mistake, I forgot you're after a "B" input.

Is the input shaft bad or just the bearing and snychro?

It’s the needle bearing surface on the end of the shaft... and the teeth are in bad shape..
84A786DE-E2CA-4B98-9742-224120332493.jpeg
5DE183EF-B6AC-49A7-AEB8-4DC993BD6354.jpeg

Update.... got another H55 from a 1988 HJ60.

Will do an input shaft swap for a new one. But are the gear ratios the same in this one as the BJ40 5 speed transfer case? The HJ has a 38mm idle shaft the 40 one has 34 mm in the transfer case.

Should I keep the HJ box and transfer or use the 40 transfer and the HJ box?

Use the 60 box if it’s good and swap the top cover from the 40 onto it. If the teeth on the input shaft are that messed up than the countershaft teeth must not look too good either.

The gear ratios are the same in all h55f’s.

Hi,
Yes going to us the 60 gearbox.

It’s the transfer case I am looking at using with it.
A) 40 series case good condition with 34mm idle shaft
B) 60 series, case needs lots of cleaning as been painted and been repaired before.... has 38mm idle shaft so might be stronger....

I am going to go for a rebuild of A) as it’s cleaner and done less work... only concern is that the older smaller diameter idle shafts are a major problem, is this the case?

I wouldn’t consider the 34mm idler to be a major problem at all.

Keep in mind that you’ll want to use the output flanges from the 40 transfer for the correct bolt pattern to match your driveshafts.

I wouldn’t consider the 34mm idler to be a major problem at all.

Keep in mind that you’ll want to use the output flanges from the 40 transfer for the correct bolt pattern to match your driveshafts.

Ok.... thanks.... I will have to check driveshafts as have one from a 60 that I was planning on shortening to fit the new setup.....

I’ll update with pics as the put together takes place...

One thing I have noticed is that the oiling of the gearbox input shaft is much better on the later box.... I expect that solves the problem that killed the earlier one...

Thanks nogo... that post is useful...

F664668F-D045-4A7F-905F-A32B406DF03E.jpeg
Got the 2nd 5spd donor all painted and starting to rebuild with the correct input shaft for the 3B.... all I can say is that even with the right tools circlips are a pain in the arse.......

All all back together however the input shaft cover is wrong.... it’s not long enough... could someone confirm that I need to find a late H55F cover for a BJ engine?

I found this out when trying to fit the thrust bearing and fork from the early H55F box to the later one from an HJ60.... do I need the BJ60 input shaft cover?

The input shaft and bearing retainer are both longer on the B series transmissions than they are on the F and H series transmissions.

The OD of the bearing is larger on the later transmissions and I’m not sure if the bearing retainers are swappable between early and later transmissions.

Last edited:
The input shaft and bearing retainer are both longer on the B series transmissions than they are on the F and H series transmissions.

The OD of the bearing is larger on the later transmissions and I’m not sure if the bearing retainers are swappable between early and later transmissions.
Yes it seems that is the case.... for now Mike at the workshop who does custom stuff and is a star took the B end and mated it to the H plate to make a Frankenstein input shaft retainer... half H and Half B... seems to fit ok.... I will hunt down the correct one to fit at a later date but can make progress now.....

After....

And before Mikes transplant.....

Some info........

Ok... got the box in but very little clearance between the rear drive shaft and the crossmember... is this just the all new mounts I have used and it will settle down when run in or something I should worry about???

Ok... got the box in but very little clearance between the rear drive shaft and the crossmember... is this just the all new mounts I have used and it will settle down when run in or something I should worry about???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom