H55 input shaft play - what is ok? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
36ED9D22-37D4-4157-8744-E3B15DF2EA49.jpeg
Hi,

I have a H55 I was planning to put into my rebuild of a BJ46 with a 3B engine.... however I have noticed some play on the input shaft bearing, it is sloppy, a good few mm lateral play in it. I have taken the cover/seal plate off and the bearing seems worn based on the play in it.....

My question is how much play is normal?

All seems otherwise ok inside....

The 3B has a lot of torque. My reco is to replace all of the bearings. Not expensive if sourced on internet. I wouldn’t spend all the time installing. If it was not fresh.

There will be some play in a used bearing, though if it's 'sloppy' it needs looking at.

Last edited:
I removed my H55 shortly after it was installed and was surprised by how much side to side play was present in the input shaft. I think that was the way they were designed. Of course that play would all go away once the tranny was buckled into place and mounted.

I removed my H55 shortly after it was installed and was surprised by how much side to side play was present in the input shaft. I think that was the way they were designed. Of course that play would all go away once the tranny was buckled into place and mounted.

This.

I’ve never seen an h55f that didn’t have play in the input shaft. They have play even with brand new bearings. That said, I’ve never installed a used h55f without throwing in new bearings, seals, and synchros (3-5) before. It’s cheap insurance before you install it. I hate pulling transmissions and reinstalling them a second time...

I had a better look at it and have dismantled it.....

The input shaft had made a little bit of mess...

One question should the input and output shaft roller bearing surfaces be like this?

Do I need
D27F65B2-D72C-466C-85E3-9F44AB0CCC9A.jpeg
EF5A9AFF-EE1E-480F-B623-64CB0ECEFC65.jpeg
a new input and output shaft?

2D52CB4E-41C0-450B-BB95-85CDC861BFA3.jpeg
Sync ring....

Yes the syncro is very much gone.... the rest seem ok... also found half a dog in the bottom of the box.....:-(

The first two picks are of the wear on the input and output shaft where the needle or roller bearings go... where the two shafts meet.... other bearing can be replaced...the wear seems bad to me on the shafts and I want some other people’s experiences of it....

1) run with it... expect failure of box
2) get new or better input and output shafts?
3) is it possible to re-surface or bush them?
4) junk the box keep the lid and get another 5 speed from a 60 or 70 and put in the 40 lid? Or.....
5) forget the 5 speed and drop in the good 4 speed that the car was shipped with.....

thanks in advance..

If you need to drive it fit the 4 speed, in the meantime have the 5 speed rebuilt..... New input and output shafts are available.

I can see that the first two pics are of the main shaft/input shaft interface, but it’s kind of hard to make out any detail of the bearing surfaces. There’s definitely some pitting on the mainshaft portion, but It’s hard to make out the input shaft side. Its possible that excessive wear is what led to the demise of the synchro.

If it were me, I would find a new transmission and keep this one for parts. The more you tear into this one, the more bad juju you’re going to find.

Last edited:
I am chasing down parts or an alternative H55..... based on what I can get and when will influence the final choice.... it’s almost all striped down and cleaned and no other damage visible but the two shafts will need engineering work or new ones.. to get them resurfaced I will need the original diameter OD on the output and ID on the input shaft.... any ideas where to get this sort of info?

Hi,

Thanks nogo, the splines are fine, I Am waiting for a response from terrain tamer.... not sure I can get an input shaft from them yet.... output looks available....

Is an H55F from a 60 series with the correct input shaft and 40 series top plate suitable replacement for an original 40 series H55 box and transfer?

I thought cruiserbrothers has new input shafts

I thought cruiserbrothers has new input shafts

Not on the website.... can not find an input shaft for sale for a BJ engine, only H and F...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom