H55 5 speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are the pros/cons of putting in a H55 5 speed?? Is it an easy thing to do?? How much would I have to expect to pay for one?? And is it really worth it if my stock 4 speed is still working fine???

Thanx

Im not certain that there are any down sides. Maybe the cost, maybe the "Dont tow in 5th gear" issues. Other than that I cant think of any. Neither of those things would stop me from using one. Sure the R151 is better, but much harder to find too.

andrew

im going thru the list of resources to do this modification myself rite now. i have a 5/84 fj60. all the articles on the search here say it is one of the best mods to do. they also warn there is a lot of work involved. i used the advise from these posts to make my decision along with the reason i want it. i live in the northeast and i like to fish and duck hunt. i have to drive hours on the highway before pulling into a field or a beach. my 4 spd works fine but takes a little longer to get there. also doing 60mph on i95 is dangerous. i hold up the truckers. i hope my drivelling in some small way helps. now if only i cud figure if i need a later tcase for this mod and what gearing i shud go with?

good luck

chris

wink84fj60 said:
andrew

im going thru the list of resources to do this modification myself rite now. i have a 5/84 fj60. all the articles on the search here say it is one of the best mods to do. they also warn there is a lot of work involved. i used the advise from these posts to make my decision along with the reason i want it. i live in the northeast and i like to fish and duck hunt. i have to drive hours on the highway before pulling into a field or a beach. my 4 spd works fine but takes a little longer to get there. also doing 60mph on i95 is dangerous. i hold up the truckers. i hope my drivelling in some small way helps. now if only i cud figure if i need a later tcase for this mod and what gearing i shud go with?

good luck

chris

I pretty sure you need a newer t-case or the old one might can be modified. I am going through the same mod now on my 82. The older 60 transmission is shorter so the t-case sits closer towards the engine. The 5 speed is longer so then makes the t-case sit father from the engine with caused the driveshafts to be different lengths. You will also need two new driveshafts from what I understand. I am running 4.11 with 32's and in the future will go up to 33's. I have not decided if I am going to changed the gearing in t-case or go with something gearing option.

4.11 with 33's and 5 speed is a good setup from what I have read and looking at the gear ratios when I calculated them all out. A lot of people claim they can cruise at like 2500 rpm at 70mph. But I wonder if anyone has recalibrtated the speedo and have more accurate numbers. I am about done with an excel spreadsheet that calculates everything and show all the ratios.

In my case, at least, the swap to an H55F 5 speed was well worth the expense. For a newer FJ60, there is little to do beyond bolting everything together. This mod made a huge difference in the driveability of the truck, and I do 1000's of highway miles, and quite a bit of backcountry travel as well.

Cost of the tranny is about $1800 new. Other costs depend on the year of your truck, and whether you do the work or take it to a cruiser mechanic.

I run 31X10.50 MT/Rs and I do get 70 MPH at 2500 RPM with the stock RE gears - 3.73. One of these days, I wil go to 16" factory rims, 33X10.50 tires, and swap in the 4.11 thirds from an FJ62. Til then, I'm happy.

M

I've GPS'd it..

I have 33's, 4.11's and the H55F - I couldn't be happier. When I've GPS'd the speed I'm at 70 at 2500RPM Although, I'm not sure how accurate GPS's are at clocking speed. Not much "uuumph" to pull ya' hills in 5th though - I run into biiig long climbs here in CO. I'm back in 4th or 3rd on looong ones...

HTH

having changed out a 1983 fj60 to h55/t-case combo (marv spector) circa 1996 I can give a few tips.
...also, rebuilt 1/2 dozen split cases and seen 3 dozen in pieces and installed a h55 in a 1981 40 I speak from a little experience.

drivelines will have to be altered, front longer, rear shorter. Or, use 5/1985 or later (bad choice, price, shipping, wear, etc).

bellhousing will have to be ground to accept front bearing retainer of h55 (the "ears" on top circle of fig 8). time involved, 5 minutes.

t-case shift lever parts from later model (long) 4speed will have to be found (5/1985-7/1987 or non us).

shift lever *should* be purchased, the fj62 is cheapest btw from toyota.

I'd do a clutch and rear main at same time. oem clutches are best bet (hello cruiserdan).

t-cases, the nightmare. sometime in 1983, the old 4speed only cases ran out at the factory putting LC's together for US market. maybe as early as June/July 1983. the bad news, is to know this info you have to take the entire split case off the tranny (4speed) and look for a recess for the h55 output bearing to sit in the front of the t-case and also for the oiler cup to sit (look for photos on tech). a few longer bolts will fit the t-case (if it works) onto the h55 and one hole has to be pipe tapped and filled with plug.

as for my experience, mpg did not increase, but driveability was 1,000% better.

the 3.55:1 first gear us 4speed sucks.

hth

The H55 cost more than my truck but is the hands down best mod I have done.

However, I have a late model 85 so everything was a bolt in.
On an older truck I never thought it was that practical unless you have a parts cruiser to get all the bits from. That is just my opinion, other than that it is the best thing to do for a 60.

as been hashed out millions of times before...

call a driveline shop (in the Tucson dex yellow pages it is under "drive shafts").
get quotes to cut and balance two drivelines. Should come in under $100 a shaft.

the t-case shift lever is under $50 new (gold cad piece only) or buy the whole assembly from cruiserparts.net or other (about $65)- these would be the ONLY extra costs to install over a May 1985 or later FJ60.

do not be afraid, the t-case is only hold up and 1981/1982's are the real hassle years to worry about, your chances are 50/50 with a 1983 t-case. or, get a complete unit from MAF/Specter if afraid of misfit.

where is the best place to source a new H55f tranny? Who has the best price out there?

I'm doing this real soon and would like to find the best price for this mod.

Thanks James

dont you still need(in addition) the trany shifter in a latter 60?

rick_d said:
as been hashed out millions of times before...

call a driveline shop (in the Tucson dex yellow pages it is under "drive shafts").
get quotes to cut and balance two drivelines. Should come in under $100 a shaft.

the t-case shift lever is under $50 new (gold cad piece only) or buy the whole assembly from cruiserparts.net or other (about $65)- these would be the ONLY extra costs to install over a May 1985 or later FJ60.

do not be afraid, the t-case is only hold up and 1981/1982's are the real hassle years to worry about, your chances are 50/50 with a 1983 t-case. or, get a complete unit from MAF/Specter if afraid of misfit.

john-

buy some glasses old man...

what about for the new trany? I thought it need a new shifter that did not come with the trany........

3 weeks till 40.......dont remind me :D

rick_d said:
john-

buy some glasses old man...

I have a 10/84 can anyone confirm or deny that the H55F would be a direct bold in? I can't tell if I have an 85 or 84, but its MADE in Oct. of 84 (says in the door). I'd LOVE to do this but it becomes much harder if I have to move the t-case etc.

WALoeIII said:
I have a 10/84 can anyone confirm or deny that the H55F would be a direct bold in? I can't tell if I have an 85 or 84, but its MADE in Oct. of 84 (says in the door). I'd LOVE to do this but it becomes much harder if I have to move the t-case etc.

Its a direct bolt up if you have the spacer between the tranny and transfer case.Its a couple of inches. Most likely you don't have it on a 10/84.

Here are pictures of mine from my 82 which does not have a spacer.
DCP_0633.jpg
DCP_0638.jpg

Last edited:
where can I get one, and what should I expect to pay?

my '87's beggin for it

i have no idea how to post photos so:
http://store1.yimg.com/I/coolfj40_1871_28030507
http://store1.yimg.com/I/coolfj40_1871_28333872

look at oiler cup and also the second photo shows a bit how a bearing might sit in front of oil seal (the dreaded oil seal that leaks making t-case/tranny overfill). h55's have a rear main shaft bearing before the t-case (and then a second after
pto gear) which must be accomodated.

all models need:
-h55 new or used
-shift lever, I have heard use of 4sp shift levers, but h55 have a ball vs a blade at engagement side.
-I'd recommend a full split case oh kit, but you might get away with seals/gaskets
-I'd also rec a clutch kit (OEM)
-and a rear main seal

the creation of the extension housing IS NOT 10/84, the extension housing comes into use in US models in April 1985 (a 4" dummy casting on arse of 4speed). May 1985 is safe, April you have to notice no double carden front driveline and id the extension housing to have the right unit off assembly line.

H55's came out in 10/ (october) 1982 and the corrected t-case shell was issued then, 'Merican's got the useless H42 3.55:1 4speed through the entire manual transmission FJ60 line. At some point, somewhere in 1983 models Toyota ran out of the 4sp t-case shells (old) and moved to a compatable housing that they drilled the hole for the extra bolt (that has to be filled with pipe plug)

When a H55 is mounted to a pre extension (5/85 for sure) split case, the distances change for the lever arms. the Big gold arm for certain is different, the other parts should be semi compatable. I have always had used or NOS shift parts to rob from late model trucks for the conversion.

off thread: H55 in 1981+ J40 requires tons o stuff if you want factory fit including but not limited to: J42 top plate (ha!), t-case shifter lever 40 series 5 speed, sheet metal top to tranny hump, etc, etc.

I posted a bunch of threads about my install. If you go to this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=47239
and follow the links in my first post, I think that will net you most of the pics and a bunch of commentary. Somewhere I posted detail pics of the seals inside the case, and instructions on plugging that extra hole.

Wink is good to go with his 1984 transfer case. It will have the appropriate casting and the machined recess for the rear bearing. I agree with rick, that there is no reason to dive in unless you completely rebuild the case.

The linkage for the transfer is completely different. Use an 85 and up linkage and it will work great. Do not try to modify the 4 speed linkage. Unfortunately, you will need a new transmission shifter which you can buy new from Toyota.

There are also a million other things to do while you are doing this job. New speedo cable, new motor mounts, new clutch, new hydraulics etc. I did all of that while doing mine.

It's a great project and changes the FJ60 like you can't believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom