H55 ,5 speed with low H41 Gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if transfer case or gears off H41 4 speed Aussie model diesel trans will fit a H55 Canadian 5 speed .

I am talking about swapping gears inside the transfer case not tranny.

Thanks

The tranny and transfer are different. You can get low range transfer gears here like you can in Australia or are you talking about the "Marks" gears?

I think you can swap the gears as long as the idler shaft diameter matches. There were two different sizes used in the t-cases that came with the H55. There's a 34mm and a 38mm version.

To get the low range in the transfer case you only need the idler gear and the low speed output gear (that's the large one on the transfer output shaft). All else is the same.

I'll be doing that to my BJ60 this fall.

This is a great question as i've also always wondered. I too would like to have lower low range gears in low 4wd. But the Marks gears sets are very expensive. So are you guys saying that gear(s) can be taken from a H41/H42 transfer case and be swapped into a H55/split transfer case to get a lower crawl ratio? And if so, would it ONLY effect the low 4wd range?

So are you guys saying that gear(s) can be taken from a H41/H42 transfer case and be swapped into a H55/split transfer case to get a lower crawl ratio? And if so, would it ONLY effect the low 4wd range?

That is what I'm told and that appears to be the case when comparing part numbers. The idler and low speed gear are all that need changing and your low range would go from 1.92 to 2.28 or something like that. Not a huge change but every little bit helps.

Hi All:

I'm no 60 Series expert (by any stretch of the imagination!) but the early 1980s US-market FJ60s came with a H42 four speed tranny, and a split t-case with 2.28 low range gearing. I believe these were only in the early (34mm idler shaft) t-cases.

Regards,

Alan

the early 4 speed (small idler shaft) low range gears were 2.28.
the early 5 speed (small idler shaft) low range gearing was 1.96
the later 5 speed (large idler shaft) low range gearing was 1.96
the later 2H auto (large idler shaft) low range gearing was 2.48

changing out the low range gear sets affect the low range only (obviously)
if you are swapping the gear set then make sure you use the proper imput gear for the tcase on the tranny, the 4 spped imput gear and the 5 speed imput gear are different.

the early 4 speed (small idler shaft) low range gears were 2.28.
the early 5 speed (small idler shaft) low range gearing was 1.96
the later 5 speed (large idler shaft) low range gearing was 1.96
the later 2H auto (large idler shaft) low range gearing was 2.48

changing out the low range gear sets affect the low range only (obviously)
if you are swapping the gear set then make sure you use the proper imput gear for the tcase on the tranny, the 4 spped imput gear and the 5 speed imput gear are different.

Just to confirm, I have a 1989 JDM BJ74 with a 5 speed. I will be getting the low gear out of the 4 speed t-case and using it with the input gear out of my 5 spd?

OK, thanks. So I guess I need the gear out of the 2H auto. Cool that is s a better ratio anyway.

yap .. it's 100% posible .. and it make the diference ..

Yeah I've already got a t-case rebuild kit (seals + bearings) and a complete new clutch assembly from Dan at 4wheelauto. He is now going to get me the lower gears from the 2H auto while I am at it.

2.48 to 1 is alot better, thanks to coldtaco I have the 305 to 1 lo and 108 to 1 Hi, the crawl ratio is much nicer. Now at 100km/h I am doing 2550rpm, it does use a slight bit more fuel but I can use 5th in town now , it also brings the hideous 3rd to 4th JUMP a bit closer on the H55f, but this is what I like the lower range for.

Here are the gears in the case from coldtaco nice and clean (Marks gears) , The bottom picture is from the original case ( note that the gear oil that came out was clean but look at the s*** baked on the sides , My opinion is the heat from the exhaust bakes the gear oil on the sides of the case, mechanically it is perfect
P1000681.jpg
P1000684.jpg

I know any cruiser can do this ,but with lower gears you have more time to react or change direction
100_4039.jpg
100_4033.jpg
100_4037.jpg

gearing is nice
but
contrary to what many want to beleive the ultra low gearing can be a hindrance in certain situations in the bush. serious rock crawling (not in the picture above) might require the 100+/1 crawl ratio but i have found that the rocky mountains and most of the trails most of us run a 50/1 is more than enough with a diesel or a well running gasser truck...

You are correct on the gearing , there are situations that may require slow speed and then you may need speed to get through other situations, I have been there. Anyways having a true 3 speed tranfer case is what I would like ie 5to1 then 3to1 then 1to1. I take quad trails on the coast here where there are many off camber situations and 3.05 to 1 is not quite low enough but helps. Back to orig thread sorry for hi-jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom