H42 Tranny - Shift cane stiff in neutral (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DoubleNickels

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey folks. I haven't found this issue in my searching so I'll start a new thread. I recently converted my FJ62's A440 tranny to a manual 4 speed (Toyota, H42). Love the swap, however...

The shift cane doesn't "float " well at all in the neutral slot. You have to kind of slap the cane forcefully toward the left or right to move between the 1/2 column and 3/4, or reverse. Moving within a column (e.g. going from 3rd to 4th) feels fine.

I just took apart the top plate and completely disassembled, cleaned, and lubed all shafts, springs, balls, and indent pins and rollers. I followed the FSM and feel good about it. Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing missing or worn excessively. The end of my shift cane looks fine as did the spherical surface and corresponding seat in the tranny. Yet it feels like the shift cane end is catching on the shift heads/ shuttles...

Anyone ever face this? I just put the hump and boots and carpet back in and didn't take any pics, but glad to disassemble if someone has a recommendation. Thanks!

Calvin

Are you using the original shifter for that H42?

No. In fact I bought the shift cane from you last summer ;)

Is there a compatibility concern? Have you seen this before?

If it’s an FJ60 tranny with the aluminum shift tower, you need to replace the nylon seat that the ball of the lever rests on. This takes care of the problem 99% of the time.

Post a pic of the bottom of the shifter please.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids

If it’s an FJ60 tranny with the aluminum shift tower, you need to replace the nylon seat that the ball of the lever rests on. This takes care of the problem 99% of the time.

Assuming you're talking about the item circled, below?

Seat.jpg

Georg: Will do tonight. Thanks for the help!

Ok, I'll order the seat. @orangefj45 let me know if you spy anything weird with that shift cane end. Thanks everyone!

Thanks for posting those pics. Everything looks "correct" but I'd replace the seat. We have them in stock. I'll be happy to send you a replacement shifter ( just in case ) if you cover shipping.

Georg

Georg, you're the man. I ordered a seat from the local dealership and will try that. If it doesn't solve the problem I may just take you up on the offer. Either way I'll report back. Cheers!

Problem solved! It took FOREVER to get the new seal from Toyota, thanks to a shipping error. Regardless, here is the comparison. Old on left, new on right.
20210508_104014.jpg

My old one was missing an entire rubber ring that should have been adhered to the seat itself. No wonder the bottom of the shift cane was interfering with the top plate shifter mech.

We keep the shifter seats in stock.
Glad it all worked out in the end.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom