H42 and transfer case Rebuild - a few questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome. I’ll get the press then see where I’m at and report back. Thanks again!

It's HEAVY. Get some help. I had to press the output cluster out that way... whole transmission in the press between the plates and press. Whew! 🤪

That’s what I’m having a hard time imagining! My son is actually the one doing most of the work...I’m just trying to make sure he does it right (as if I know what the hell im doing). Regardless, both of us will be working on it.

I'll try to "fake" a pic on my 20-ton tonight if I can. I'm still cleaning my case so its not as pretty as yours yet, but everything's installed and just about ready to go together.

BTW, the press is great for timing cover seals install too. I toasted one last weekend using the hammer and block method before I got a new one, cleaned off the press, and slipped it in nicely in less that 15 seconds. When will I learn?

This is a before shot. Been working on the engine as a focus... the blue on the motor is where I used the tranny goo as a prelube.

1597261322706.png

1597261408929.png

Didn't get to the shop with a camera last night, but I'm off tomorrow and will be working on it then.
BTW, i have repeatedly heard bad things about the cast plates that come with the HF unit. I have steel ones from SWAG. Google the issue if you're interested. Just be careful.

Awesome thanks. I’m gonna grab one tonight (assuming HF stocks them). I’ll be out working on the cruiser tomorrow as well.

Looks like Harbor Freight changed the press plates since my purchase. The half-circle of the current Harbor Freight press plate is way too big in my opinion. I looked up SWAG per @rflegal . The SWAG alternative is a lot of beef... holy $hit

Thanks, I read that as well. I'll give the HF plate a shot, if they have changed from the cast stuff. I guess i'll see what you mean about the half circle when I get it set up.

Been thinking more about this, I think it'll have to be done in two steps: first I will need to press the bearing into the transmission case. Second will need to press the shaft into the bearing, per the discussion above.

To press the bearing into the case, seems like I would need press the whole case onto the bearing...ideas there? Or is it better to flip it so the bearing is facing up, and press that down somehow?

I just need to get this thing so I can stop trying to visualize it.

Thanks, that makes sense. I already got the input bearing on by tapping with a hammer (I suppose press would have been nice for this). But first I need to get the output shaft bearing properly installed and that is the part I am stuck on.

Yep. That was the dog for me to get out. HAD to use the press to push the mainshaft cluster out through the rear bearing (forward), then knock out the rear bearing in order to get the mainshaft cluster out.

If it goes in reverse of what it came out, I think you would insert the mainshaft (inserting the counter shaft , etc. (No.s 14,15,16) first), press the bearing in from the back side, flip it, and press the main shaft through the bearing from the front side while supporting the rear bearing by the plates (center of bearing)... I think.

Guess I get to try tomorrow... color me excited. o_O

Last edited:
I think that is what I was thinking, but I'll try tomorrow too. Stay close to the internet! :)

Ok. Got my press set up. Here are a few pictures of what I think I need to do. Note I’ve already partially driven the bearing in with a hammer

93DB61A5-18C5-4C13-82E0-E147D97D2031.jpeg
2A960F6D-DC35-48A6-AA69-28F798FEE5CD.jpeg
C9934FE8-7D53-4BFF-9D4C-ED5B9DE80C3A.jpeg

That setup is to drive the output shaft into the bearing. I slightly pressed and it worked, first gear started butting up against the case, which made me realize I probably need to finish pressing the bearing into the case first.

Any ideas on how to do this? I need a way to keep the case as it is, but drive the ram into the case, rather than into the shaft, as in my picture above.

I’m also worried that once I start this, first gear will start moving away from the case and that stupid thrust washer that is the bane of my existence will fall off of the pin and get screwed up.

What do you guys think? @rflegal have you had a chance to try yet?

Thanks yeah I thought of that. Would need to go get another one (I don’t have anything here at the moment that would work), but I think that is best...needs to be something strong enough to hold the pressure.

I’m going off memory, but I recall checking clearance with the thickness gauge to make sure the bearing wasn’t pressed on too much.

Thickness gauge between first gear and the case?

I just double checked my most recent version of the FSM. I didn’t see anything about pressing the output bearing and clearances. I must have been thinking of the step prior where the 2nd & 3rd thrust clearances are checked.

Thickness gauge between first gear and the case?
No mention of thickness gauge in the tm. If the output is secure in the inner race, you would flip the case, press the bearing in with a pipe over the shaft to the c-ring. That's why it's there - positive stop. Then flip again and press remaining of the output.
Had to work this AM, so I'm just getting going. Have to use the right support in the right places to preserve the bearings.

No mention of thickness gauge in the tm. If the output is secure in the inner race, you would flip the case, press the bearing in with a pipe over the shaft to the c-ring. That's why it's there - positive stop. Then flip again and press remaining of the output.
Had to work this AM, so I'm just getting going. Have to use the right support in the right places to preserve the bearings.
Like Super said - you need a tm. Did you download the pdf from the website link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom