H41f gears in a late H42f case? Sticking H42f spacer onto H41f case? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just spitballing trans/gearing upgrade ideas, and this came to mind:

Can you cobble together a working transmission with an H41 gearset in the late version of the H42 with the spacer? Or can you stick the spacer and output shaft/yoke/etc. from the H42 onto an H41 case? Are the parts there, between a long H42 and an H41 to make one working trans with a 60-series top plate, the same length as the H42, and the lower gears of the H41?

Does it depend on the donor H41? Let's assume it's one from an F or H engine rig, not a 3B, so the input shaft is correct.

I'm thinking about what would get me a lower first gear without driveline/crossmember mods or spending $3200 on an H55...

I did it. Paid a guy to do it really. Bought h41 gearset, had a local tranny guy install into my late h42. The input gear was a challenge. Kurt at cruiser outfitters figured it out for me though. I needed a different front cover, then the input bearing fit correctly. The front cover changed in 85 - I think - to a different thickness. Reverse sounded knarly, because we left the original reverse gear in the h42 case and the wear pattern was different. It worked for 20,000 miles until I put in an h55. It had a failing synchro, so I gave it to George. Not sure what he did with it. The lower gear was a huge improvement over the h42 when wheeling.

I did it. Paid a guy to do it really. Bought h41 gearset, had a local tranny guy install into my late h42. The input gear was a challenge. Kurt at cruiser outfitters figured it out for me though. I needed a different front cover, then the input bearing fit correctly. The front cover changed in 85 - I think - to a different thickness. Reverse sounded knarly, because we left the original reverse gear in the h42 case and the wear pattern was different. It worked for 20,000 miles until I put in an h55. It had a failing synchro, so I gave it to George. Not sure what he did with it. The lower gear was a huge improvement over the h42 when wheeling.

Glad to hear it worked out :cool:

I put an H41 gear set into an '84 H42 case. It's been great, though I too, have the noisy reverse gear from using the '84 reverse idler. Still using it 7 years later.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys! Looks like this is a worthy option to consider -- the difference in cost vs. an H55 would pay for at least an air locker...

IMG_2975.JPG
IMG_2604.JPG
IMG_2975.JPG
Yes it absolutely can be done, has been done ( by myself and others ).
There are at least 4 different H41 gear sets that I've encountered.
I actually have a couple of new OEM H41 gear sets with all the gears, shafts, synchros .... in stock right now. Yes, new OEM.
I can build an H41 for you or sell you an H55F for $2450. And of course we have the rebuild kits for the transmissions and transfer cases in stock as well.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom