h41 vs h42 ratio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could you tell me numbers wise the difference in gear ratio's from the H42 vs the H41. I'm told it's about a 50% reduction but I'm not sure the ratio's. Thank's

read in another thread a couple weeks ago that the H41 had something like nine revolutions... compared to five.... i think.... look for posers thread on setting up an orion transfercase with a h41... i think that it was on that thread... if not ask poser he would know..

I went from an H42 to an H41 on my current truck. The only significant difference is the first gear; my stock H42 had a 3.555:1 1st gear, and the H41 has a 4.925:1 first gear, by simple math a 38.5% reduction (38.5% lower 1st gear). 4th gear is identical in both at 1:1. 2nd and 3rd are spaced a bit wider in the H41 than the H42 but are not drastically different. To get rpm from a ratio, just multiply it out - input (engine) rpm / gear ratio = output rpm. But if you want rear wheel rpm and hence road speed (or the crawl ratio) then you'll also have to figure in the transfer case ratio, the diff gear ratio, and the tire size. Here is a handy on-line calculator that will help you figure all of these kinds of questions: Gear Ratio Calculator

Last edited:
Thank you! that helps alot. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom