h41 v. h42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
sup fellas,

as far as length and mounting are concerned, is there a difference between these two trannies? (no effing joke they are geared differently...)

malphrus
(still searchin for answers....)

No difference on length.....the H41 is a bit wider on the passenger side than the H42. Still has pretty much zero effect on anything. Mine was a direct swap... Be sure you get the right H41 though, there are I believe two different types. You want the one that has the same spline count as your H42......HTH.

Cheers

1Fine40 said:
No difference on length.....the H41 is a bit wider on the passenger side than the H42. Still has pretty much zero effect on anything. Mine was a direct swap... Be sure you get the right H41 though, there are I believe two different types. You want the one that has the same spline count as your H42......HTH.

Cheers

or just buy one and swap out the input shaft if it's the wrong one....

There seems to be quite some interest in this tranny. Is there any way one of the importers could get a whole mess of them, thereby making them more affordable (volume)? Right now they are in the $650-$800 range.

I'm no market reasearch guru, but it seems to me that a lower price (via volume importing), would help to get these great trannies into the hands of deserving addicts. (like me!). The vendors would probably end up with the same profits, or maybe more.

(sorry for the hijack!)

yeah, MAF and SOR already have these trannies for sale via importation, but their prices are, like you said, in the 650+ range.

this seems silly to me b/c they are pretty much regarded like our 3spds (i.e. large paperweight) in australia...it's not like anybody's payin top dollar down under then bringin em back...

malphrus

BigRedFJ40 said:
or just buy one and swap out the input shaft if it's the wrong one....

Don't do that! The gears then won't match.

They are also getting harder to find (in good shape). I think importers like MAF use companies that find them in OZ and also make sure they are in good shape before shipping them to the US. But, it is not like you can go to a shop and order 40 of these trannys off the shelf. Inspection is the key. It is a drag for the customer and businesses like MAF to import and ship a defective H41. I doubt it will be that easy to find a good source of quality H41's in Australia that can be shipped over to the US cheaply. On the other hand if someone did find the contacts and figure a cheaper way to ship these suckers stateside then I think that there would be more than enough interest in the US cruiser community for these trannys.

But, then there is the hassle of importing a huge container, import duties, transporting the container, opening the container, inspection, storage and the individual shipping hassles to each person that wants one. For all this hassle the person doing all this work this will want a decent profit. Then there is the potential of having some of the guys who sounded desperate for an imported tranny flake out on you when it came time to pony up the money. If you took advanced orders and payment from folks then you have to answer all the angry queries that will arise from the inevitable shipping delays. For instance my order for a H41 with MAF took months of extra time to long shipping delays. I had a good friend who is a senior Toyota Tech check it out and he found it to be in great condition. In the end I have a great H41 for less than the current going rate.

So in the end, can some interested party do all of this cheaper than experienced businesses like MAF??? That my friends is the $700(ish) question...

Max

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom