H41 and split case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

orangefj45

Supporting Vendor
Threads
i just removed this unit form a rig; shifts smooth, no noise, no grinding, no leaks. i did reseal the transfer case and replaced the idler shaft since it showed some wear but everything else in the t-case was in great shape. also replaced both drain plugs with new magnetic units and replaced the staje but. t-case comes with the drive flanges as well.
this is a complete combo with the transmission, shifters for trans and t-case, the t-case itself and i might even have the 4spd bell housing for it. i do not want to seperate this combo.
parts are located in stockton CA. i would really rather not ship them unless we can find somebody who's willing to mudship or the pbb equivalant.
$1000 firm.

sold!

Last edited:
to the top for the crowd returning from moab........

nobody wants lower gearing for their 40/45/55? plus the extra strength of the split case...........and it's ready to bolt in! :beer:

would be willing to do some trading for:

1) pair of complete fj62 axles
2) 35-37" tires in excellent condition
3) set of 15" bead lock wheels in excellent condition
4) th700 to split case adapter
5) front disc brake outers
6)..............

also, i can deliver this combo to socal on july 12th or to rubithon in a couple of weeks.

Damn Georg, why do you tease me so.

you think that's a tease?! since it's you and there's some history between us, i'll accept a reasonable offer. so pm me! :flipoff2:

Georg, what is the low? on the split TC 2.31 ? would this be a direct bolt on for my 74...or do i need to modify drive shaft lengths,yokes to fine spline etc. etc. :confused:
what is the advantage of the split TC over the stock 4speed TC besides strength,quietness

hey allan.
thanks for the reply. low is 231 and this combo will bolt into the 40 with some mild mods. the same bell housing can be used along with all the clutch components. you will need to modify the drive-shafts slightly as well as the t-case shifter hole in the trans tunnel.
the drivelines might also need a different set of ends at the t-case. this unit has the 4spd pattern flanges on it so it might bolt right up. otherwise, i should have a pair of flanges for you to throw into the deal.

strength and less noise are the two main advantages to the split case. also a lot less leakage issues.

hahaha, nice try!

are you gonna be around tonite dan? if so, i'll stop by and pick up the stash. :)

Geartrain trivial pursuit

Split case low range is 2.276 or 2.277 depending on source of info. The early 3spd type TC low is 2.313:1, except for the transition cases which were 1.992:1 (rigs built in late 1973 as 1974 models from my sources), 1.959:1 after that. Split cases are much stronger than the older one piece cases. H41/split case is close to a bolt in swap in a 74, especially if your 74 has the H42 4spd. If you've got the H42, your pinion flange bolt pattern spacing should match the split case's flanges. Spline count is an issue if you've got to swap pinion flanges as up to 7/78 it was coarse 10 splines at the pinion and fine 27 splines from 7/78 on. Driveshaft length probably isn't an issue, but measure overall length of stock trans/TC and compare to overall length of new trans/TC combo to be safe. H41s come in at least two flavors of First gear as well, 4.925:1 and 4.843:1 depending on year/original application.

I'm getting ready to do a similar swap and have these parts in my stash (H41, split cases, 3spd cases, etc). I could measure and post more info as I go if it'll help, let me know. My sources include the March/April 2000 issue of Toyota Trails which has a great article by Rob Mullen. The August 1997 issue of 4 Wheel & Off-Road also has an excellent article by David Freiburger. Both were carefully researched and are authoritative. HTH!

Georg, what is the low? on the split TC 2.31 ? would this be a direct bolt on for my 74...or do i need to modify drive shaft lengths,yokes to fine spline etc. etc. :confused:
what is the advantage of the split TC over the stock 4speed TC besides strength,quietness

i stang corrected.

we usually don't get that technical about the gear ratios so we round off the #s to 2.28 for the split case and 5:1 for the h41. that gets you pretty close to what it actually is.

but thanks for adding the info to this thread, along with the mag refferances. i do appreciate it.

bump. still time to install this before rubithon......

If you've got the H42, your pinion flange bolt pattern spacing should match the split case's flanges. Spline count is an issue if you've got to swap pinion flanges as up to 7/78 it was coarse 10 splines at the pinion and fine 27 splines from 7/78 on. Driveshaft length probably isn't an issue, but measure overall length of stock trans/TC and compare to overall length of new trans/TC combo to be safe. H41s come in at least two flavors of First gear as well, 4.925:1 and 4.843:1 depending on year/original application.

I'm substantially over my head offering any info in this thread but...

I'm under the impression that the fine spline pinion change-over date is 1/78 and the 7/78 date marks the start of a larger diameter (not largest) idler shaft in the one-piece case. I think I'd like to find a solid rebuildable example of one of these later '78 cases for a back-up.

I thought I once saw a pic of '78 era one-piece case with a really gargantun idler shaft that came out of some sort of utility truck. Might have been in an old TT article?

Is any sort of cross-member alteration needed when installing the H41/split-case transfer combo into an older model 40?

Sorry if I'm all wrong here. Apologies in advance.

Pinion spline: According to the Rob Mullen article I cited earlier, changeover for fine spline pinion was July, 1978. July '78 also marks the change to fine spline on the TC front output shaft (not that you asked!).

Idler shaft: On the earlier one piece TCs, the idler shafts are all 25.4 MM. It's the idler shaft gussets that increased over the years, which made the TC housing itself stronger. Its the 1970 to July,1978 cases that have smaller gussets (and cases prior to 1970 have no idler gussets). July 1978 and later cases have larger gussets. The idler shaft diameter increased to 34 MM with the advent of the split cases in 1981 model year, at least for the N. American market. Apparently, there may have been some one piece cases with the larger diameter idler shaft, but these were not imported into NA.

OK, I'm just sharing what I've read. Marlin Czajkowski (Marlin Crawler) is the man with the expertise, along with Rob, and probably a bunch of folks here on Mud. But everything I've seen in the real world confirms the above. :)

Crossmember: Well, the earlier rigs don't use a crossmember to support the trans/TC combo but the split case trucks use a crossmember. You can probably get away without a crossmember, but I like belt-and-suspenders security when it comes to a truck and would use/fabricate a crossmember since a split case provides a mounting pad for the purpose. Your call though ...

HTH!

I'm substantially over my head offering any info in this thread but...

I'm under the impression that the fine spline pinion change-over date is 1/78 and the 7/78 date marks the start of a larger diameter (not largest) idler shaft in the one-piece case. I think I'd like to find a solid rebuildable example of one of these later '78 cases for a back-up.

I thought I once saw a pic of '78 era one-piece case with a really gargantun idler shaft that came out of some sort of utility truck. Might have been in an old TT article?

Is any sort of cross-member alteration needed when installing the H41/split-case transfer combo into an older model 40?

Sorry if I'm all wrong here. Apologies in advance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom