H151: Rebuild it or Run it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cracked my early (1990, 195k miles) H151 open because of small gear tooth in the filter. Having found where that chip is, what's the consensus on rebuilding these early transmissions? It ran & shifted fine before it was pulled for my swap. It looks to be in quite good nick as far as my eyes can see (folks more expert than me please chime in!). Bearings all seem tight, no damaged plastic or much in the way of evidence of heat related stress.

Is there a synchro upgrade for the early ones? For the $$$ & work involved should I just run it as is for another 100k then deal with it? I've always been a "while I'm in there" guy, but I'm into EVERYTHING: the body is now off the frame, the 1HD-T is half rebuilt and my budget is getting thin...

Here's the chipped gear. Rather small injury.
image6.jpeg

Overview:
image8.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image3.jpeg

(1990, 195k miles) H151

At 300000klms , its not young. You might get another 100000klms out of it. But with a rebuilt engine and gearbox you would be good for another 400000.
If its a JDM import, there is no guarantee the mileage is legit.

It came from England (according to VIN records) and was in the US quite a while before I found it. I’ve seen nothing to dispute the mileage. But I was going more on what I can see for wear inside the trans (which seems fairly minimal to my semi-untrained eye).

Im also curious if the later synchro kits fit the early transmissions.

At 300000klms , its not young. You might get another 100000klms out of it. But with a rebuilt engine and gearbox you would be good for another 400000.

Hello,

x2.

Money may be tight but this is a repair worth doing.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom