H heater install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's starting to get cold in WV. So, I'm putting in a heater that I got out of a FJ40 in a junk yard (WNC Auto Parts). So far I've taken the box and blower part, cleaned and painted them. A little soaking in PB Blaster for the valve and cables and they function well. I hooked the blower up to a hot wire, and it blows. I'm assuming the core is good, but since I still have no thermostate, I probly wont know for awail.

A couple questions I have so far are where is the blower mounted on the H? I had it suck in the courner where it is on FJ40s, but it looks like it needs to come closer to the engine where there are vacum lines. Also I posted on https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/639124-2h-heater-hose-routing.html#post8075742
Asking where I should take hot water off of the engine. Seems my fuel return lines are on top of those ports, and I'm a little worried about bending them out of the way.

Thank You
P1000230.jpg
P1000239.jpg
P1000240.jpg

H Return Line

This is how the return sits on the port.

I also posted a pic of the pull cables. the top one I retaped(or died?) to 7/16x20 since I lost the 11mm nut somewhere. It's a close match, but I did have to cut new treads.
P1000251.jpg
P1000252.jpg
P1000254.jpg

I think you'll need to wait for an owner (who has an H-powered cruiser with a heater) to reply.

But I thought I'd throw this in anyway, in case it's helpful.

It supposedly represents the heating system you should have there:

1980HJ45Heater.jpg

:beer:
1980HJ45Heater.jpg

Heater Ports

Thank You Tom. Looking at the FSM I believe I'm going to try the rear port on top of the head and the port that comes off of the water pump to return back to the radiator.
P1000259.jpg
P1000260.jpg

Thank You Tom. Looking at the FSM I believe I'm going to try the rear port on top of the head and the port that comes off of the water pump to return back to the radiator.

Your pump looks like the mirror-image of mine so it makes sense that your heater is piped in a simalar way to what I have on my 1979 B-engine (1B-engine).

I'm guessing that big hose on the left of the last pic goes down to the bottom radiator tank.

This is what I have..........

Heater supply from the head:
HeaterSupply1.jpg

Heater return directly to the pump:
HeaterReturn2.jpg

PS. The second photo is actually from my spare engine (1980 B I think) ... but the setup is exactly the same on my 1979.

:cheers:
HeaterSupply1.jpg
HeaterReturn2.jpg

looking good Adam, can't wait to see what else you have in store for the truck. AWESOME

Good work. That'll be nice to have some heat in the cab in WV this winter. Although with your windows and doors not exactly sealing, I'm not sure how much heat you'll be able to keep IN the cab. You may be just heating the outdoors!

I will most likely only succeed in burning my shins if this heater is anything like the one in my FJ40. BUT, at lest there's something.:p

just wear your cactus camo sleeping bag pants and call it good. Just don't get them too close the the heater, they may burn

Heater Finshed

Sorry for the long delay. I just found the camera, seems it had been on the desk under some papers. Always the last place you look.

I used the rear port on the head for my supply and the port coming off the water pump leading to the radiator for the return. As for the fuel return lines that were in the way I just fliped the whole assembly and I belive that to be the factory position. It seems to heat well, considering the lack of a thermostat.

P1000264.jpg

P1000265.jpg

My radiator block of to raise engine temp.
P1000270.jpg
P1000264.jpg
P1000265.jpg
P1000270.jpg

Other Projects

Wail the HJ45 was in the shop I built a new bumper that has a receiver hitch. Much more practical to me then the janky pipe that was back there before. Unfortunately I did appreciate the rounded ends of the old pipe, since I have a strong hatred for hitting my shines on bumpers/hitches. The ends of the the pipe were added onto 3x3x1/4 tube that formed the receiver base. I do believe this lowers the atheistic appeal of the bumper, but that can be changed later.
P1000269.jpg

The tube was then welded back to the frame via 2 2x1/2 flat bar and then bolted to the factory holes in the center
P1000273.jpg

I also had an old pintle hitch from a military truck that I cut, welded flat bar on the top and bottom, then reenforced the hole with weld.
P1000272.jpg
P1000269.jpg
P1000273.jpg
P1000272.jpg

I used the rear port on the head for my supply and the port coming off the water pump leading to the radiator for the return. As for the fuel return lines that were in the way I just fliped the whole assembly and I belive that to be the factory position. It seems to heat well, considering the lack of a thermostat....

Nice job. I'm pretty sure that's exactly as the factory did it.

Why no thermostat?

A thermostat gets an engine up to temperature faster which has benefits like - smoother idling, better fuel economy and less engine wear (as well as making the heater work better)!

:frown:

The engine did not have thermostat when I purchased it. I thought for a wail that there was something wrong with it, but when I had the head off I noticed that there just wasn't one there. I would like a thermostat. Currently if you're not pushing the engine, the temp needle drops out of view. I should be getting a new thermostat soon from RufustheDufus.:)

As for fuel economy an increase would always be appreciated, but the last I checked it got 30.7 MPG.

Nice to see that it works now :cheers:, did you get the blower working? After driving motorcycle during winters I somehow got the habit of heating cars to desert heat :cool:
And was your toyota factory delivered without heater because I dont get that :confused:
edit;get a thermo because it is a cheap fix to keep the engine everlasting.

Blower blows. I believe this HJ45 was delivered with out a heater from the factory. I was told it originally came from Honduras. It had the holes drilled in the dash, but they had little plugs in them. I did have to cut a hole in the fire wall.:frown: I didn't like altering it from stock, but it is getting cold. When I saw the heater in the FJ40 at the junk yard I talked my self into going back and pulling it saying "No girls are ever going to ride in this with out a heater."

There are also plugs in the factory seat belt holes were it did not come with factory seat belts. Still trying to get some belts put in it.

Also did not come with the radio option. I've learned a lot of truck driving songs though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom