H Engine Picture Request (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlestonG8R

Hey y'all!
SILVER Star
Threads
Hello! Sorry to post this, it's a rather lame request... But my HJ45 arrived with the wrong starter and a bit of a rat nest of wiring. I've gone through the FSM for the H Motor and it indicates that there should be 4 wires going to it (plus a ground?). I can only find 3 and I'm not even sure how they would actually hook up to the starter. I would be extremely grateful for any pictures that someone can provide. For the record, I haven't been able to find any pictures of the H starter on the internet or Mud... 'Tis a rather elusive engine.

Thank you so much!

I don't know about that there's thousands of them in Australia happerly chugging away. The latter 1979/80 H engines had the geared starter like it's big brothers the 2h/12ht. The battery positive red wire goes direct to starter then there's a large ground wire to chassis and a small wire with a splade connection to activate the starter when key on.

@ozcrusier Thanks for the reply! We don't have many over here in the US... The old starter came off of a 2H, I believe, but am not sure. I don't see any PN's. Still runs fine but the bolt pattern doesn't match my bell housing...

I've wired everything up but there is still one wire that I'm not sure where it plugs in. I will post where it hooked up on the 2H starter and hopefully someone will have an idea where it ought to hook up on the H starter.

In the picture, it's the small post below below the large lug (where the battery hooked up).

IMG_4532.JPG

This is what the starter looks like.

IMG_4533.JPG

Nothing really matches on the new H starter...

image.jpg

I think I have it figured out. The 2H FSM indicates that this is the 50 Terminal. According to the H FSM, the 50 Terminal is on the back side of the Magnetic Switch. Okay, think I'm good to go now.

Well, thought it was all hooked up correctly... When I turn the key I hear a click from the solenoid, but the motor doesn't turn. Is it possible that the wire from the battery should have been installed on the other terminal? It is currently on the upper terminal, opposite of the terminal that has the wire to the over injection magnet. Also, there is no location for a ground wire.

There isn't a ground wire on the starter. Make sure the ground cable from your battery to the block is in good shape and e connections are clean. Make sure all connections are clean and that you have a strong battery for that matter.

Good day, you mind sharing where you found a starter for your H? I am trying to convert a 24V H engine to 12V. The only missing component is the starter motor. I have the 3 bolt pattern big starter.

There isn't a ground wire on the starter. Make sure the ground cable from your battery to the block is in good shape and e connections are clean. Make sure all connections are clean and that you have a strong battery for that matter.
Meant to put this to bed, sorry @Splangy! It turns out that my ignition switch had gone bad and replacements from Oz were inexpensive and readily available. Australia comes through again! :cheers:

is it the 3 bolt patter? can you post the nose cone picture?
Yeah, I wouldn't mind selling it, it's not doing anything right now and I'd rather it get some use. It's new (old stock) and I checked to make sure it works. I never ran it in my truck since the problem was with the ignition and NOT the solenoid. It's the 3 bolt pattern, are you able to make it to the ONSC Relic Run? I can bring it there. Or I can bring it to the Trollhole Part Swap.

Relic Run
Carolina Relic Run 2017 - June 9th-11th 2017

Part Swap
Trollhole's Annual Part Swap!! July 14-15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom