GX470 Wheel/Tire/Lift Picture Combination Thread (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Recently went from a 265/70/17 to a Ridge Grappler 285/70/17.
IMG_0783.jpeg

IronMan FCP 2.5" front Performance load springs and 2.5" rear "comfort" springs since I don't carry much of a load
Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70/17 load C

of course there is no front bumper rubbing, but I did have to trim the inner fender well plastic and the remnants of the plastic of the side steps I left at the rear of the from ttires. No rubbing now those are trimmed. I just got the IronMan upper control arms just to be able to get the extra caster to gain just a little more clearance, just in case

View attachment 2631606
IronMan FCP 2.5" front Performance load springs and 2.5" rear "comfort" springs since I don't carry much of a load

of course there is no front bumper rubbing, but I did have to trim the inner fender well plastic and the remnants of the plastic of the side steps I left at the rear of the from ttires. No rubbing now those are trimmed. I just got the IronMan upper control arms just to be able to get the extra caster to gain just a little more clearance, just in case
Nice rig! Bumper looks amazing.

Tundra wheels, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers, OME medium duty kit, LT 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs, C-load
GX470.jpg

I'd been lurking on this thread for three weeks while awaiting suspension. Drove my wife nuts talking about tire possibilities during that time. Figured I might as well share what I settled on.

Falken Wild Peak AT3W 275/70/17
Period Correct 17" Tundra Wheels (waiting on unbranded center caps in the mail)
Bilstein 5100 shocks all around. Toytec coils and conversion kit. Provides about 2" rear and 2.5" front lift.

I went back and forth between 275/70 and 255/80. Decided on the 275 for a couple of reasons. For one, the Falkens had great reviews. C range tire opposed to E, which I am not sure I needed. Most tread depth and largest in its class according to mfg. Decided agains 255 for the following, spare fitment concerns, speedo and odometer skewing, and just being a little too tall for what I need.

I'm super happy with these tires so far (very few miles). I was previously running 265/65 Toyo Open Country AT3 and the ride feels the same as it did on those. The wheels are a great, almost OEM look and provide 10mm less offset than stock, which gives it an ever so slightly wider stance with no spacers ( note: I have to give credit to some other GX owners with these wheels for influencing my decision) Did have to push front fender in about a 3/4 inch as it rubbed when fully turnt in reverse.

View attachment 2500360

View attachment 2500362

View attachment 2500373
What coils are you running up front? Thanks!!

View attachment 2631606

Our GX's are quite similar... need those ARB Solis. Did you have to drill extra holes to mount them or did they fit in the factory supplied holes?
51133989183_caa4bc5b66_b.jpg

Our GX's are quite similar... need those ARB Solis. Did you have to drill extra holes to mount them or did they fit in the factory supplied holes?
51133989183_caa4bc5b66_b.jpg
You can use the center hole in the bumper that is already there, you just have to drill the ones on each side of it (to get the "swivel" lock down) since the solis have 3 mounting bolts. They are quite large and hefty, so the other mount holes are kinda required. Easy stuff. Just have a sharp drill bit and you'll be golden. The wiring is easier than expected. BUT remember Toyota uses the "throw a ground at it" to make headlights work, so in the instructions, it tells you how to wre it for that. Pretty simple.

BTW, the solis are frigggggggen bright. the option to "dim" them is mighty cool too. I got the 2 flood options instead fo the 1 spot / 1 flood and I can see down the road amazingly far. I can't imagine needing a spot, but I guess it's all where you drive.

When you are ready, PM me and I'll see if I can get you a better deal than you find on your own, I'm a wholesaler for such things.

Last edited:
Hi all - such a great reference thread - thank you all for sharing pics.

I'm curious if anyone has shots they can post specifically of a 2.5" - 3" lifted GX470 on TRD 17x7 rims with 265/70R17's. Feel like I need to stick with that tire size to keep my spare in the stock position and get too hammered with rubbing. Thinking KO2's... Is there a larger size I could be getting away with? Have E load range on a 4th gen and the rides a little rough so trying to stay C load on this vehicle.

Thanks!!

Hi all - such a great reference thread - thank you all for sharing pics.

I'm curious if anyone has shots they can post specifically of a 2.5" - 3" lifted GX470 on TRD 17x7 rims with 265/70R17's. Feel like I need to stick with that tire size to keep my spare in the stock position and get too hammered with rubbing. Thinking KO2's... Is there a larger size I could be getting away with? Have E load range on a 4th gen and the rides a little rough so trying to stay C load on this vehicle.

Thanks!!
If your GX does NOT have KDSS, then I think you can run a 255-75/17. Basically a 32” tire.
I have that size in a KO2...load range C. Love them.
Verify fitment for the spare, but I believe consensus is they will fit without the KDSS elements in the way.

FWIW, I have KDSS, and a factory tow hit hitch. While I *was* able to get that size tire to fit, I had to cram it in so tightly that it was hitting the sway bar, and removing it on a trail would have been about impossible.
I carry the spare on a trailer or hitch-mounted carrier now.

If your GX does NOT have KDSS, then I think you can run a 255-75/17. Basically a 32” tire.
I have that size in a KO2...load range C. Love them.
Verify fitment for the spare, but I believe consensus is they will fit without the KDSS elements in the way.

FWIW, I have KDSS, and a factory tow hit hitch. While I *was* able to get that size tire to fit, I had to cram it in so tightly that it was hitting the sway bar, and removing it on a trail would have been about impossible.
I carry the spare on a trailer or hitch-mounted carrier now.
you can air down the spare to fit and fill up with the air compressor before installing.

Did you actually need those spacers for clearance?

No, but this was a place holder setup till I go 285's. The JBA UCA's allowed me to clear no problem

Thanks! I got those wheels because the offset is better and was wondering. Someone earlier in the thread posted them with 285s but didn't give a ton of info

Wheels: Method 703 Bead Grip in Gloss Titanium (17x8.5, 4.75 BS, 0mm offset)
Tires: BFG AT KO2 265x70r17 load range C
Spacers: None
Lift: Eibach ProTruck Stage 1 with front coil over set at 2” lift
Other Mods: Front Runner Slimline II roof rack

78EEC4A1-EF0C-4DCE-82C1-68891CD52760.jpeg

D4D25243-25D0-43F3-8181-D4D30D10BAED.jpeg

42303707-AAB0-49ED-AD50-00C2A51AA25B.jpeg

'09 non-KDSS "value build".
Wheels: Pro Comp 69's
Tires: Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/70 R17 (C' s)
Front Lift: Bilstein 5100 2.5" (top perch, stock springs)
Rear Lift: 2" coil conversion (Icon springs, 3" rubber castor wheel lower perch "pucks" @ $3.00 ea., pick-and-pull stock cone isolators from lifted 4Runner @ $13.00 EA. Rough Country N3 rear shocks from same donor 4Runner @ $11.00 ea)
Ebay UCA's (working fine for me so far, and I've kicked the @&#$ out of it on highway and trail)
Recovery points: Treaty Oak
Roof rack: JW Offroad
Rear ladder: NashFabCo
Rear storage system: Saturday in the garage

20210330_155717.jpg

20210513_092341.jpg

20210402_195313.jpg

20210513_092422.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom