GX470 Wheel/Tire/Lift Picture Combination Thread (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fox 2.5 coilovers JBA UCA's Toyotec HD rear springs Fox Shocks Firestone air bags
RRW RRV4-S Wheels 17x9 0 offset 5.0 BS
265/70-17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

GX 1.jpeg

GX 3.jpeg

GX 4.jpeg

Heading the other direction than the majority.... Bought the truck from another Mud member last week and it was wearing 285/75/17s on Black Rhino Armory wheels, with a BIG offset. Running OME 2.5" lift with JBA UCAs.

I was a big tire guy myself once, but I was lucky enough to be in a unit in the military that sent us to several advanced off-road driving courses (where I got spoiled with right hand drive Defender 90s...) and then drove Prados, LCs, and Hilux all over the middle east and Africa. The one common theme (besides being all Toyotas) was thin, tall tires. I fell in love with the 235/85/16s, (and on the right truck, 255/85/16). Also just aesthetically not a fan of shoving huge, fat tires in the wheel well just because I have the clearance. Lastly, I really enjoy keeping the truck as unassuming as possible, because it makes off roading it with the Jeep guys that much more satisfying 🆒

First thing I did with the new rig is take off the big 285/75s and go back to the factory wheels and throw on 235/80/17 Cooper Discover ST Maxx. These tires are amazing. E load rides a tad stiffer, but not having to lug around those 285 at low speed parking lots is worth it. The factory offset also puts the wheels back under the wheel well, so I don't get the truck covered in mud every time I drive through a 1" puddle. Full size spare is easy to store and handle. Testing them out in Big Bend next month.

I know the pizza cutters aren't for everyone, but I put function over looks, and I have seen these size tire perform some pretty amazing feats. The techs at Discount Tire came out three times to make sure these are the ones I wanted put on the truck. Being Texas and all, and the parking lot full of lifted F 350s on 37"s, I definitely got some funny looks.

Once this tires wear out, and I have progressed more on the build of the truck, I may consider bumping up to the 255/80/17.

Shoes: Stock wheels with 265/70/17 General Grabber ATX studded
Lift: 2" lift Front- Ome 885 medium coils with Ome 90000 firm shocks,
2.25" lift Rear Ome 895 medium with Ome 60005 firm shocks,
Ome95pf5 spacer to correct lean,
Metal Tech rear coil conversion &
Side step trimmed

Last edited:
255/80r17 ST Maxx
2” lift spacer in front (on top of coilover)
Tricked airbags 3/4”
Fn counter steer type-x 17x8 et -10

Pushed front fender liners forward. Removed running boards. Aired down spare in stock location.

No rubbing so far.
Dropped 1 mpg mixed driving mainly hwy. Avg 16.8mpg self calculated.

View attachment 1714066

View attachment 1714070

View attachment 1714071
Really digging these wheels. I think they would look perfect on my blue GX with 285/75/17. Love how they are lightweight as well. Any worries about them being so lightweight?

Really digging these wheels. I think they would look perfect on my blue GX with 285/75/17. Love how they are lightweight as well. Any worries about them being so lightweight?

I love em. Being light weight is what sold me on them. No worries. Havent seen any one break them yet.. and their priced right so if one was to break, it wouldnt be expensive to replace.

Suspension
ICON:
Ext. travel front coilovers
Tubular UCA's
Overland series rear coils
2.0 Rear shocks
Rear lower links
Metal Tech rear coil conversion kit

Wheels
4Runner SR5 (painted)

Tires
Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/75/17
20190305_172602.jpg

Looks great! Where did you get the center cap emblems?
20190222_205840.jpg

Thanks! I got the center caps at carlogodesign.com. You can measure the center cap area on your wheels and order several different diameters. I believe for these particular center caps the size I ordered was 58mm (2.28 in). You can also order them flat or domed, and these are domed. I just built up a few layers of 3M automotive tape on the emblems so they would stick to the center caps.

Suspension
ICON:
Ext. travel front coilovers
Tubular UCA's
Overland series rear coils
2.0 Rear shocks
Rear lower links
Metal Tech rear coil conversion kit

Wheels
4Runner SR5 (painted)

Tires
Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/75/17
View attachment 1927780
What color and type of paint did you use? Looks amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom