GX470 Primer for the Ideal Mild-Build for Under $3000 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also... Maybe hoping to spark discussion on the twintube Dobinson's (OMEs are TT also) vs their MRR (remote resi) monotube. Kyle @TreatyOak has the mrrs for a while now and others talk about them, I'd.like to hear user reviews of RR monos vs larger (ergo 2.6+ diameter) twin tube shocks.
Ironman has a good video discussion remote resi monotube vs twins tube... Sure it's some marketing but he makes good discussion points for why remote resi vs larger oil volume twin tube low pressure gas (vs high pressure charge mono tube).
Also he's comparing Bilstein 5100s (2" tubes) to their bigass foam cell pro... BUT there are good points for why to chose which suspension.

Also... Maybe hoping to spark discussion on the twintube Dobinson's (OMEs are TT also) vs their MRR (remote resi) monotube. Kyle @TreatyOak has the mrrs for a while now and others talk about them, I'd.like to hear user reviews of RR monos vs larger (ergo 2.6+ diameter) twin tube shocks.
Ironman has a good video discussion remote resi monotube vs twins tube... Sure it's some marketing but he makes good discussion points for why remote resi vs larger oil volume twin tube low pressure gas (vs high pressure charge mono tube).
Also he's comparing Bilstein 5100s (2" tubes) to their bigass foam cell pro... BUT there are good points for why to chose which suspension.
also keep in mind the IMS that Dobinson make... they're basically the MMR without the remote res.

Good info in this thread

here's the stuff on the IMS

Hey Mate,

Thank you for the suggestions, and you're right we need to do better on our marketing end.

1. MMR - Monotube Remote Resevoir model that features a 2.6" diameter on Cruisers and Patrols and 2.2" diameter on other vehicle that use Struts in the front. Price range from $300-375
  2. Monotube IFP - Monotube non resi model that also has the same diameters as the MRR but without the resi it has an internal floating piston. Price range from $200-275
  3. Twin tube - Twin tube design with heavy duty walls that is basically a traditional design that fits the budget and works well. Price range from $95-150

We get plenty of compliments of our 3 current shock options so i would say all are good options just depends on your budget and what you are doing with your vehicle.

View attachment 1674978

View attachment 1674981

View attachment 1674982

You just got your GX470 and want to do a mild build to improve looks and off-road capability. You want to stand out over the mall cruisers and soccer moms, but want to keep costs under control. This primer doesn't consider any other repairs or basic maintenance your GX470 needs.

First, lets take a look at the wheels, tires, and rocks sliders to start your ideal mild-build and keep costs down. The brands specified here are just examples of what you can get for those estimated prices as of 4/2018. You can always use your favorite brands and remember that prices continue to change over time.

View attachment 1676018

So far, you have only spent about $1650 (or less if you got cheaper tires and skipped the rock sliders), but you have no lift and you really want a lift.

Unfortunately, the suspension is the most difficult component to replace and satisfy your personal needs (like the weight you carry, the desired height of the lift, the softness or stiffness of the ride, the price, the brand, etc.).

Some key factors in the suspension components include the diameter of the shocks (2.0" vs 2.5"), the desired lift (say 2.0", 2.5", or 3.0"), the length of the shocks (standard or long/extended), and the spring rate (linear, variable/progressive, heavy load, etc).

Keep in mind that most low-cost options use the 2.0" diameter shocks which are considered not as good as the 2.5" diameter shocks. The difference is that the 2.5" diameter shocks have more fluid to prevent shock fade in serious washboard roads or long desert runs. They also have beefier lower legs (shafts) that make the shocks more sturdy.

Also, rear variable rate springs are considered better than single rate springs because they provide a better ride when lightly loaded and when fully loaded. Most people have reported great results with variable rate rear springs over single rate springs.

Here are some low-cost suspension options to consider. Again, the brands used in this table are to show options in these estimated price ranges. You can always use your favorite brands. Assuming no extra weight in the front or rear (no bumpers, winches, tire carriers, RTT, etc.). Consult with your favorite vendor to confirm the lift heights, part numbers, prices, etc.

View attachment 1715167
View attachment 1677265

If anyone else wants to contribute alternate suspensions, please use this format and include brand, part numbers, estimated prices, pros, cons, and notes. Corrections and improvements are welcome.

Additional suspensions...
View attachment 1691500

@HomersCanyonero this is such a great resource! I have a question for you (or the thread). Your table mentions an alternative tire size of 255/75R17. I compared stock tire size (265/65R17) to this alternative and note there are some changes in dimensions by more than 3% from stock. Based on conversations with some tire shops near me, they suggest (some will flat-out say they can't install) not going beyond a 1% difference in tire size from stock.

How much will this affect handling and on-road safety? Has anyone installed this 255/75R17 on their (stock) GX470?

By no means am I argumentative; only a noob trying to understand the effect(s) of changing tire size.

Thanks for the feedback and education!

This is what I generated on a tire size comparison tool:
1589464366788.png

I think the intent is to offer a stockish size tire option that is taller, which improves off road capability. Things are improved such as ground clearance, and more flexibility in a side wall.

If you are concerned with on road handling and on road safety, then I think you would want to stick a LT passenger tire in the stock size.

@cooziecup some tire shops like Costco won’t put anything other than manufacturer recommended tire sizes for your vehicle due to liability insurance issues.

By the way, the tire size calculator gives you theoretical sizes. Actual tire size vary wildly across brands even on same tire sizes.

@wrcfan is right. The idea of the 255/75R17 tire is to give you a skinny taller tire that’s more off-road capable without having to change your wheels, without rubbing, and allowing you fit a full spare in the stock location.

If you were to go with an AT 255/75R17 tire in “E” load rating = 10-ply, this tire would be great for rocky off-road dirt roads but it would be a stiff tire on city driving.

A compromise is to get a C rated tire which is equivalent to a 6-ply tire. Passenger tires are 4-ply.

So, there are other factors besides size that will impact how stiff the tire is (load rating), how noisy (mud terrains?), thus how off-road capable.

@cooziecup some tire shops like Costco won’t put anything other than manufacturer recommended tire sizes for your vehicle due to liability insurance issues.

By the way, the tire size calculator gives you theoretical sizes. Actual tire size vary wildly across brands even on same tire sizes.

@wrcfan is right. The idea of the 255/75R17 tire is to give you a skinny taller tire that’s more off-road capable without having to change your wheels, without rubbing, and allowing you fit a full spare in the stock location.

If you were to go with an AT 255/75R17 tire in “E” load rating = 10-ply, this tire would be great for rocky off-road dirt roads but it would be a stiff tire on city driving.

A compromise is to get a C rated tire which is equivalent to a 6-ply tire. Passenger tires are 4-ply.

So, there are other factors besides size that will impact how stiff the tire is (load rating), how noisy (mud terrains?), thus how off-road capable.

@wrcfan & @HomersCanyonero Thank you for the clarification! I'm looking more for a tire size/load rating that will lend itself to both on- and off-road capability. I think the "C" rating is my speed. I guess the Costco guys frightened me with their "insurance liability" schpeel. I do like the idea of a tire that will increase ground clearance for off-road and not affect fit on a stock vehicle in the 255/75R17. Kind of a poor man's "lift", yeah? My worry is how that same tire may behave on-road. I don't mind shorter lifespan of the tire; I'd rather have confidence in using off-road, etc. Plus, I'm no Parnelli Jones, so driving speed limits is not out of the ordinary for me!

So, you're confident in the fit of the 255/75R17 on a stock vehicle with no rubbing or clearance modifications? Curious to hear from folks who've installed this size tire on a stock GX470 and their experience with "no rub".

I do currently run Falken Wild Peak AT3W on my 80-Series and have had good luck. So, I may just stick to what I know tire-wise and eventually try these in the 255/75R17 for the new whip.

I do appreciate the education! Like I always tell myself; if you're not falling (or asking silly questions), you're not learning.

@wrcfan & @HomersCanyonero Thank you for the clarification! I'm looking more for a tire size/load rating that will lend itself to both on- and off-road capability. I think the "C" rating is my speed. I guess the Costco guys frightened me with their "insurance liability" schpeel. I do like the idea of a tire that will increase ground clearance for off-road and not affect fit on a stock vehicle in the 255/75R17. Kind of a poor man's "lift", yeah? My worry is how that same tire may behave on-road. I don't mind shorter lifespan of the tire; I'd rather have confidence in using off-road, etc. Plus, I'm no Parnelli Jones, so driving speed limits is not out of the ordinary for me!

So, you're confident in the fit of the 255/75R17 on a stock vehicle with no rubbing or clearance modifications? Curious to hear from folks who've installed this size tire on a stock GX470 and their experience with "no rub".

I do currently run Falken Wild Peak AT3W on my 80-Series and have had good luck. So, I may just stick to what I know tire-wise and eventually try these in the 255/75R17 for the new whip.

I do appreciate the education! Like I always tell myself; if you're not falling (or asking silly questions), you're not learning.

I had 255-75/17 BFG ko2’s on my stock 470 briefly, before I did a modest lift.
I recall that there was no rubbing, nor did I move or melt any plastic to prevent rubbing.
However, I’m sure I didn’t put it through all it’s paces...backing uphill with wheel locked over, off-road at speed, etc
Rims were stock at that time, FYI.

I would advise against a LR C, LR Cis effectively similar to p-meteic of same size, albeit thicker cords in the belting. At least go For LR D. GRANTED THERE TEND TO BE FEWER OPTIONS AND LOAD RANGE D. I SEE YOU HAVE THE WILD PEAKS, I HAD A FRIEND IN ARIZONA WITH WILDPEAKS LOAD RANGE C THAT HE SWORE BY UNTIL HE HAD THREE TIRE PUNCTURES FROM THE ARIZONA ROCKS. HE FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY TOOK THE ADVICE OF MYSELF IN A FRIEND AND GOT HIMSELF SOME SOLID LOAD RANGE D LT TIRES. NO REGRETS, NO ISSUES, NO TURNING BACK.

(OOPS sorry caps lock 😬😫).
Stock tire size in the GX470 is 265x 65 17 in. There's definitely a solid argument for the tall skinny camp, a more common route is the 265 x 70 17 in. You gain a little sidewall with the width and with the sidewall you gain some more ground clearance, ergo poor Man's lift. Does your reg have kdss? A KDSS rear sway bar limits the size of tire you can fit under there, but a 265 x 70 fits, just barely. wHE the 255 75 is a taller tire and therefore more ground clearance, and more sidewall, and therefore affords a greater airing-down capacity to tread patch size gain, the 265 70 is also a well-known upgrade from a stock tire size.

I have 265 70 s in The BFG ko2 load range e and love it. I don't think that I have noticed any on road handling or comfort woes am6d think the AVS shacks account for any stiffness jn6 the tire. I run 35 psi all year.

Would also gains a lot of confidence and sidewall strength is a 3-ply equivalent. Also, Not all LT load range e tires are three ply sidewall.

while I live in Moab and my on-road driving is dramatically different and kess than most people's on-road driving/commuting, I get that, but I haven't noticed detriment with my setup. Our Rig is super comfortable for long Haul road trips on interstate and daily driving locally as well as elsewhere. Granted, my rig came with some LTs in 265x70 size, but not 3-ply sidewall LREs, and I've never driven Street tire 265 65s on my GX, So maybe my experience is biased, none the less, I would not say my right equalities harsh in any way.

I would advise against a LR C, LR Cis effectively similar to p-meteic of same size, albeit thicker cords in the belting. At least go For LR D. GRANTED THERE TEND TO BE FEWER OPTIONS AND LOAD RANGE D. I SEE YOU HAVE THE WILD PEAKS, I HAD A FRIEND IN ARIZONA WITH WILDPEAKS LOAD RANGE C THAT HE SWORE BY UNTIL HE HAD THREE TIRE PUNCTURES FROM THE ARIZONA ROCKS. HE FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY TOOK THE ADVICE OF MYSELF IN A FRIEND AND GOT HIMSELF SOME SOLID LOAD RANGE D LT TIRES. NO REGRETS, NO ISSUES, NO TURNING BACK.

(OOPS sorry caps lock 😬😫).
Stock tire size in the GX470 is 265x 65 17 in. There's definitely a solid argument for the tall skinny camp, a more common route is the 265 x 70 17 in. You gain a little sidewall with the width and with the sidewall you gain some more ground clearance, ergo poor Man's lift. Does your reg have kdss? A KDSS rear sway bar limits the size of tire you can fit under there, but a 265 x 70 fits, just barely. wHE the 255 75 is a taller tire and therefore more ground clearance, and more sidewall, and therefore affords a greater airing-down capacity to tread patch size gain, the 265 70 is also a well-known upgrade from a stock tire size.

I have 265 70 s in The BFG ko2 load range e and love it. I don't think that I have noticed any on road handling or comfort woes am6d think the AVS shacks account for any stiffness jn6 the tire. I run 35 psi all year.

Would also gains a lot of confidence and sidewall strength is a 3-ply equivalent. Also, Not all LT load range e tires are three ply sidewall.

while I live in Moab and my on-road driving is dramatically different and kess than most people's on-road driving/commuting, I get that, but I haven't noticed detriment with my setup. Our Rig is super comfortable for long Haul road trips on interstate and daily driving locally as well as elsewhere. Granted, my rig came with some LTs in 265x70 size, but not 3-ply sidewall LREs, and I've never driven Street tire 265 65s on my GX, So maybe my experience is biased, none the less, I would not say my right equalities harsh in any way.

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

And adjustable....
They are not adjustable except front spring perch height.
The MRR Adjustable have 3 way adjustment.
1. Rebound
2. Slow speed compression for street driving stability.
3. High speed compression for off road fast shock piston speed

@HomersCanyonero @Vlad what if I have the added weight of a roof top tent? What rear springs would I want to go with Bilstein 6112 up front and 5100 shocks in the rear? I don’t want much of a lift, but the RTT weighs 155-175 pounds. Should I get a rear spring that has 2” lift? Will that match for a level stance with the Bilstein 6112 on the first setting? I’ll be towing a 10’ -12’ long trailer to haul metal occasionally also. Hmmm Do I get a HD progressive spring? Toytec any good?

My compressor may have failed last night. I’m going with coils. I bought rear 5100 because I was switching my shocks out before this failure, so now I’m stuck with them. I just bought the MT coil kit, and Bilstein 6112 coil overs in the front. I was going to just get the 4Runner springs from Toyota for $94 each new but then started second guessing myself

Last edited:
I just called icon. They have 2” lift coil part 52700 that is not progressive. After talking to the rep I think with the weight of the RTT will bring it down to neutral (unlifted) height. Since I don’t plan on removing it I think this could be the best way to go. Does anyone have experience with these?

$700 bucks for Eibach kit and $750 for 285/70/17 P metric wildpeaks. I am done son!
I've heard tale (2nd hand) about P-metric wildpeaks. . . . :poof:
AZ rocks can shred . . .
(but mine's basically stock, so no real skin in this lift game. . .)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom