GX470 LOCKERS!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just bought my GX470 around 5 months ago and have done some small upgrades such as Bilstein 5100s in the front, threw a roof rack on it and a set of General Grabbers. I am putting sliders on here in the near future and the build list continues to grow. I had an FJ that had a rear locker and it worked wonders! I would love to triple lock my GX in the future and wanted some input from some of you who may have done it already.

lexus 4.jpg

lexus 1.jpg

Do you suggest doing the rear locker first? I don't plan on doing any major rock crawling, but getting off camber and having a locker sure would help a lot. Do you remember the product number for the ARB rear?

ARB rear is a game changer. I believe it is the ARB-RD121

Yeah I will definitely be getting a rear locker someday, the front is maybe a little overkill for what I'd be doing but ehh it wouldn't hurt right!

Correction, the 121 is the front, the rear is
ARB-RD132 ARB Air Locker Toyota 8", 50mm needs to be included
ARB-160116

Hoping in the next year or so to install lockers

Honestly a locked rear with ATRAC front is about all you need in our trucks. IFS steers very little with a locked front locker :p

How much total cost is a locker? I am assuming you need to get the air pump as well. I am a decent shade tree mechanic but something like this I might get done by a professional.

How much total cost is a locker? I am assuming you need to get the air pump as well. I am a decent shade tree mechanic but something like this I might get done by a professional.
The ARB rear diff is about $950. Install depends on your shop and a pump is anywhere from $100 to whatever plus install.

I would budget at least $1500 for a rear and another grand if you want the front.

Has anyone looked into swapping in a electric locker third member from a TRD Tacoma?

FJ rears swap right in. Upgrade to the 8.2 rear with 2010+. Just have to wire the locker. Several have swapped this axle into the gx

Is there a benefit to that over an ARB?

Larger rear R&P which is known to fail on pre '10

FJ rears swap right in. Upgrade to the 8.2 rear with 2010+. Just have to wire the locker. Several have swapped this axle into the gx
That's cool, Are the spring perches correct for a air bag delete?

I know, search is your friend...

We got 14 inches of snow on Monday so had a chance to compair the 80 to the 120. Compaired the Lexus with the center diff locked to the 80 with center diff and rear locked. The Gx did great and atrac works good but the solid locker on the 80 just makes everything so easy in comparison. I think I would really like a selectable rear locker and atrac combination on the GX.

The '10 axle from an FJ already has spring perches...so you just pop in springs and good to go.

Rear lockers seem like the way to go. I am still a little confused on which is the most cost efficient way to go with the greatest benefit but I this is well down my mods list so I have time to figure it all out. I should probably take my GX off the pavement first (got it Saturday).

ARB, Harrop, FJ e-locker third with axle mods and bag delete, and FJ rear axle swap are your options that are viable. They are all not cheap, nor easy. I put in 4.56 nitro gears when I did my ARBs to replace the weak stock rear R&P and improve my gearing with larger tires.

VENDOR ALERT: Not a sales pitch, just an FYI.
We have imported hundreds of Harrop Eaton ELockers in the last several years. Not cheap, but easy to install (given decent shop skills and tools) with excellent results. No disrespect to the air lockers, both are fine units, just different.

Electric Differential Lockers | Lexus LX & GX Series 4WD

upload_2017-2-9_6-27-37.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom