GX470 KDSS Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New member, and new owner of a 2005 GX470.
Picked it up not knowing anything about KDSS. Pretty much immediately developed a hard lean to the left. So the research began. The common reset process looked easy enough (3 turns out, etc).
Got to looking it over today and came up with two issues.
1) The accumulator reset / bleeder screw section looks different than essentially every google image I had found. Ports look much smaller and are inline with the tanks.
2) Rear cylinder leaking at the banjo. Not sure how I could ever service or replace this, if I can't back out the bleeder screws to put the system into service mode.

Anyone dealt with this?
20180108_173017.jpg
20180108_180248.jpg

Time for a lift and rip it off! :)

That's because you're not looking at the bleeder screws. :p

Uhi5ABg.png

They're under that skid plate.

Yep! That's them.

I have no idea what those are, but the block under the skidplate has the screws I loosened when I installed my lift. Maybe the ones in your picture do something else that I'm not familiar with?

The large ones under the skid will allow the system to go into bypass mode so you can move the KDSS sway bars.

I have no idea what those are, but the block under the skidplate has the screws I loosened when I installed my lift. Maybe the ones in your picture do something else that I'm not familiar with?

The large ones under the skid will allow the system to go into bypass mode so you can move the KDSS sway bars.

That would be exceptional news.
I have read numerous threads like this one
KDSS - UNfrozen! :) How I did it...
Which all focus on the section between the tanks.

Being as the leak looks to be at the banjo bolt, I'm really tempted to see if a fresh pair of crush washers would solve it.
In my quest to figure out how to put the magic back in, I found this and thought I'd drop it here for future reference.

ToyotaTechDoc

Still working on how I can get my hands on the SST pump, preferably without dropping $1500...

Being as the leak looks to be at the banjo bolt, I'm really tempted to see if a fresh pair of crush washers would solve it.
In my quest to figure out how to put the magic back in, I found this and thought I'd drop it here for future reference.

ToyotaTechDoc

Still working on how I can get my hands on the SST pump, preferably without dropping $1500...

That is a doc for the 200-series (entirely different vehicle). Are we confident that the KDSS systems are functionally identical?

That is a doc for the 200-series (entirely different vehicle). Are we confident that the KDSS systems are functionally identical?
I'm not confident, but there definitely isn't nearly as much info on the web regarding the GX.

So, the GX has not moved from its spot in the driveway since I posted this. I've been ordering lots of parts, from full timing service (completed) to suspension stuff. Sourced some V84Rnr sway bars with thoughts of deleting the KDSS...still waiting on a SSO rear coil kit to arrive.

Today I went to jack it up and start pulling suspension parts... and I look under it and see this.
20180128_150241.jpg

There's no way I missed that last time...so...I guess it's started it's own disassembly.
This has made me second guess the KDSS delete. Like maybe the airbag was the cause the whole time.
I'm thinking I'll swap in all the coils and see what it does with the KDSS just reset.

From what I've learned. Crack the shutter valves before installing the new lift. Then when the truck is back on all fours, close the shutter valves.

I did the reset procedure recently while installing the lift / coil conversion. The KDSS light is still on of course, as I am sure the system pressure is low from the leak. I'm giving it a chance to see if it will sit level. If so, I'll let it ride for a while. If it still has the lean, KDSS will go.
20180204_133116.jpg

You could have it fixed so it's not low on fluid...I would not expect it to behave properly when it's alerting you to an active problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom