GX470 Interior Spare Tire Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's a simple solution!

I had an eye bolt ran through a large "washer" to run my ratchet through. It centered the tension on the wheel better.

My "washer" was the remnants from using a hole saw to cut a piece of 3/8" steel. It was overkill but it's didn't deform under pressure.

I also used a down sleeping bag in a stuff sack to make sure the wheel didn't hit the window.

Great ideas for carrying spare inside and even helps balance the drivers side lean.

Last edited:
OP, I like your mount, I could not do that since I have too much stuff inside, but a very cool mount

Anyone fabricating this inside mount for sale? Would be interested in getting one...
i think i can fit my camping gear in with a spare there, would be very interested in this also.

9E42E909-28DF-4D6F-B9B2-13024CFD0680.jpeg

I got the above D rings from Amazon and screwed them in with the factory bolts.
D5D791DD-8A8E-4A3F-9D2C-7BB198CF60C2.jpeg

Ran one strap thru the
8E865B4C-4644-4B20-AFB8-6D5490A8DE1B.jpeg

Then a ratchet strap over the tire. Seems very solid but it does stink.

Last edited:
I liked this idea so much that I decided to dredge up this old post to share my incarnation of the cargo area wheel mount utilizing the jump seat latch . It’s obviously not finished yet but pretty stoked on how it’s coming along .

980D48E0-315E-4674-B9C3-AB47286F75B9.jpeg

AA49D3C1-77CC-4517-ACC6-4F90D48BDDE0.jpeg

7FEF4312-3A43-467E-A494-82771BA37A8D.jpeg

I'd buy one today if there were a reasonably priced option.
If someone were to produce a mount this style it would definitely be the most economical option to tire relocation . Also I like the fact that it does redistribute a bit of weight to the passenger side . Most people need that cargo space so it’s not an option for everyone.

I had a local fabricator make me this after seeing this thread a while back. Except mine is on the driver's side for better visibility out of the passenger's side.

Great DIY project. Anyone done this in a 4runner without the 3rd row? There’s no seat bracket in mine it’s just an empty cubby… not sure if the third row bracket would mount the same or if I’d have to drill holes etc for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom