GX470 frame to FJ60/62 body swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jclark

GOLD Star
Threads
Took a shot in search but don’t see any postings for a Lexus GX470 frame under a F60 or 62 body. I am the previous owner of a FJ68 build and familiar with other threads related to seating a 60/62 body on an 80 frame.

So, are there any projects out in the wild currently that have taken a shot putting Lexus suspension and frame under the 60/62 body?

Never heard of such a thing. Why would you put a 60 series body on an IFS chassis?

Never heard of such a thing. Why would you put a 60 series body on an IFS chassis?
Ride quality with classic body styling. The GX470 has off road chops. Most folks don’t appreciate that they are overbuilt but the 2002-2009 models are rugged... it’s not the trucks fault people buy them to be Mall chariots.

Ride quality with classic body styling. The GX470 has off road chops. Most folks don’t appreciate that they are overbuilt but the 2002-2009 models are rugged... it’s not the trucks fault people buy them to be Mall chariots.
It’s 2003-09. Also, identical to a 4th gen 4Runner. I have a built GX as well as a 60. It never crossed my mind to put a 60 on a 120 platform. And frankly, it’s just plain not a good idea.

Right, but the more common "frame" swap is dropping the 60 body on an 80 series chassis that has been slightly modified. You would probably have to do the same amount of modifications to the GX frame to fit the body on.

@NLXTACY or @TRAIL TAILOR (can't remember who) is doing a conversion kit to add 80 series axles plus the coilovers as a kit to the 60 series frame. That is in light of doing the full frame swap or doing something like modifying the 80 axles to run leaf springs.

Don't think anyone here is arguing that the GX is an overbuilt and sleeper 4x4/Overlander, rather seems a little odd.

I don't think putting a 60 on a GX470 frame is nuts. I'd measure the wheelbases and decide from there. Yes, it will be a totally different vehicle when you are done....

I don't think putting a 60 on a GX470 frame is nuts. I'd measure the wheelbases and decide from there. Yes, it will be a totally different vehicle when you are done....
For what though? The sake of a better ride on the street? The 8” rear end isn’t known for being strong. You’re much better off getting the trail Taylor kit and making your current 60 frame capable of running 80 axles and coils.

I’ve done the 60 over 80 route already. Simply looking for refresh perspective. I’ll check out trail tailors kit. Thanks everyone for the input.

I feel like a 60 on a 100 chasis might be better since they have the same wheelbase?

I had a prospective customer talk with me about this a couple years back. I think it is an interesting idea but I passed. It's not something I thought I could sell again and I had no desire to get that deep in research for a one off. I can not keep up with what I am already doing. I may well be wrong too :)

You will most likely have to move a bunch of electronics over with roller and drive train. I saw a build once where a guy put a 40 body on an FJ Cruiser roller and drive train. He moved the entire FJC dash and firewall over with minimal massaging.

I look forward to a build thread!

I had a prospective customer talk with me about this a couple years back. I think it is an interesting idea but I passed. It's not something I thought I could sell again and I had no desire to get that deep in research for a one off. I can not keep up with what I am already doing. I may well be wrong too :)

You will most likely have to move a bunch of electronics over with roller and drive train. I saw a build once where a guy put a 40 body on an FJ Cruiser roller and drive train. He moved the entire FJC dash and firewall over with minimal massaging.

I look forward to a build thread!
Exactly this the wiring part of it will the main issue. Cutting welding fabricating to make the body would be the least of my worries. I have been around 12v wiring for almost 30 years that part of the build will slow the build down or either make it not happen at all. Sounds cool and different alot of builds are almost the same I wish you luck.
Tommy

Or just put a 60 body on a BMW M3 chassis. Classic styling, easy weekend build, they practically give away M3’s and of course then you get the economy of a Prius, the looks of a 60 the handling of a M3 and no one will know you are a douche bag because the bmw parts will be hidden.

Or just put a 60 body on a BMW M3 chassis. Classic styling, easy weekend build, they practically give away M3’s and of course then you get the economy of a Prius, the looks of a 60 the handling of a M3 and no one will know you are a douche bag because the bmw parts will be hidden.
“Douche bag”? What does that even mean?

Last edited:
I for one really enjoy reading Seth S's comments but I think that putting a 60 onto a GX470 is an outstanding idea. So how do you handle the steering and trans 4wd linkage?

Reviving an old thread. Like you, I had a built GX470 and a FJ60 - seemed to be the perfect match for me. I asked three top builders the same question. All three of them declined the job for various reasons but primarily because of the wiring. However, a cruiser buddy of mine was over yesterday and we were literally discussing this same topic. A local guy swapped a GX engine/tranny/xfer into a 40. Not sure of the rest of the details but I can get the guys contact info - he's a cruiser builder, fabricator, rest shop owner out of Lafayette, Louisiana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom