GX470 frame to FJ60/62 body swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Reviving an old thread. Like you, I had a built GX470 and a FJ60 - seemed to be the perfect match for me. I asked three top builders the same question. All three of them declined the job for various reasons but primarily because of the wiring. However, a cruiser buddy of mine was over yesterday and we were literally discussing this same topic. A local guy swapped a GX engine/tranny/xfer into a 40. Not sure of the rest of the details but I can get the guys contact info - he's a cruiser builder, fabricator, rest shop owner out of Lafayette, Louisiana.

You have a couple ways you could go with wiring. The easiest would be to pull all the wiring and computers from the donor vehicle and fit them into the project vehicle. Alternatively you could go completely standalone/aftermarket. And Tertiary you could splice new and old....this option is often the most challenging and problematic.

Isnt fj.co adapting almost all of a 40 onto these new platforms?

Yes, they are but for that kind of money, I'd rather have Jason, Stan or Tor do a one-off. But, as explained in detail to me previously, it would be costly with a capital C. Personally, I would like to have a IFS under my 60. Also wouldn't mind modern PS, ABS, and AWD. @Seth S comments are accurate and again, I was told this would be the expensive part, just above the custom modifications/fabrication to fit body to chassis.

Yes, they are but for that kind of money, I'd rather have Jason, Stan or Tor do a one-off. But, as explained in detail to me previously, it would be costly with a capital C. Personally, I would like to have a IFS under my 60. Also wouldn't mind modern PS, ABS, and AWD. @Seth S comments are accurate and again, I was told this would be the expensive part, just above the custom modifications/fabrication to fit body to chassis.

There was mention in another thread about a shop offering wiring harnesses or adapters for the 4.7 which I think is the engine in the lexus.

If you want abs and all wheel drive in a fj60 that option is already available with swapping in 80 series axles and suspension and abs system and even the drivetrain and engine. The ifs isn't that much better of a ride over a 80 series suspension swap. Have you ever ridden in a stock 80 series? While my 80 series doesn't ride quite as nice as a stock gx470, the difference isn't enough for me to worry about much in my opinion. I actually prefer it over the gx because the ride feels more solid and sturdy yet still comfortable.

Need to get @torfab to run some curbs with his 80 axle swapped rigs and film it and the bounce factor.

Cost and time is the big deal. You can get a 5.3 swap and 80 coiled axles and your gonna have a powerful, best riding platform. And that will still set you back quite a bit.

Pitch it to @ddelong6767 Doug at Wellsorted Automotive, I’d like to hear his thoughts on the complexity.

OPINION

I can understand wanting the IFS. But the overwhelming amount of electronics that would have to cross over to keep the drive Toyota drive train is just not worth the hassle to me. Doing the body/frame swap and using an LS3 C&C package is the way I'd go. That way the drive train and electronics are set up as a stand alone unit. Expensive truck indeed, but I cant see the frame swap having a cost any more than an 80 frame swap. I'd do the job as listed above if a customer wanted it, but I'd not do it using the OEM drive line from the 470.

I am surely bias, so keep that in mind. One of the LS3 swaps I did a few years back was recently here again for a little work after a tuner made some wholesale changes. The customer once told me he had trouble keeping the rear wheels from lighting up. I took it for a test drive and broke the rear tires loose with less than half throttle. The smell of burning rubber under a Land Cruiser is something every Cruiser Head should experience at least once in their life :) A hot rod 62 is something to behold indeed!

If you want abs and all wheel drive in a fj60 that option is already available with swapping in 80 series axles and suspension and abs system and even the drivetrain and engine. The ifs isn't that much better of a ride over a 80 series suspension swap. Have you ever ridden in a stock 80 series? While my 80 series doesn't ride quite as nice as a stock gx470, the difference isn't enough for me to worry about much in my opinion. I actually prefer it over the gx because the ride feels more solid and sturdy yet still comfortable.

I'm going to show my novice level of mechanics in this reply. . .shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

I actually like the ride of my 60 on the current setup. OME heavy front & rear, weighted with @TRAIL TAILOR bumpers, rides perfect to me. The reason I'd like to go IFS is related to my dislike of the 60/80 steering boxes. Dislike isn't strong enough - I hate that f'n box. So, in my novice mindset, a IFS setup would negate that box & associated problems (leaks, rebuilds, etc.). Your comment on the full 80 swap was my first choice until I had a 470 & 60 parked next to each other. @NCFJ commented below that he'd do the frame swap but not the GX drivetrain because of the inherent FUBAR task of migrating electronics from one platform to the other - which is exactly what I've been told by multiple builders. Perhaps if a standalone or highly modified harness was made, that swap would be my ideal swap - keeping the GX chassis and driveline but with limited harness function (similar to what a full 80 frame/driveline swap would offer). It's a off-center build for most - but I don't crawl, climb or even hit difficult trails. Commuting and occasional camping is the primary duty of my 60.

Is there a way to get rid of the 60/80 box (not pump, the actual box)?

OPINION

I can understand wanting the IFS. But the overwhelming amount of electronics that would have to cross over to keep the drive Toyota drive train is just not worth the hassle to me. Doing the body/frame swap and using an LS3 C&C package is the way I'd go. That way the drive train and electronics are set up as a stand alone unit. Expensive truck indeed, but I cant see the frame swap having a cost any more than an 80 frame swap. I'd do the job as listed above if a customer wanted it, but I'd not do it using the OEM drive line from the 470.

I am surely bias, so keep that in mind. One of the LS3 swaps I did a few years back was recently here again for a little work after a tuner made some wholesale changes. The customer once told me he had trouble keeping the rear wheels from lighting up. I took it for a test drive and broke the rear tires loose with less than half throttle. The smell of burning rubber under a Land Cruiser is something every Cruiser Head should experience at least once in their life :) A hot rod 62 is something to behold indeed!

Thanks for the comments and varied solutions, Stan - always very much appreciated. Discussed on various threads but no confirmed answers - in your opinion, would a 100 or a 470 be a better fit for a chassis swap? And in either case, if a stand alone/custom harness was available for the OEM driveline, would that change your mind on keeping the OEM driveline for said swap?

Is there a way to get rid of the 60/80 box (not pump, the actual box)?

You can use any steering box you like. How much work do you want to do?

a chassis swap just because you don’t let like a steering box seems extremely backwards to me

I do not know enough about the differences between the 100 and 470 to form an intelligent answer to the question. I do agree that going to all that trouble just for a steering box change is over the top. I do not work within maybes and if something were available so once again, no basis for an intelligent answer on the question about a harness that may or may not exist.

So you want to swap the chassis because of the steering box? In mechanical terms that doesn't make sense. To illustrate that's like saying you want to pour a new foundation under your house because you don't like the refrigerator. What's wrong with the steering box? They get old and worn and need work after 200k miles or so but that's good not bad.

So you want to swap the chassis because of the steering box? In mechanical terms that doesn't make sense. To illustrate that's like saying you want to pour a new foundation under your house because you don't like the refrigerator. What's wrong with the steering box? They get old and worn and need work after 200k miles or so but that's good not bad.

You can use any steering box you like. How much work do you want to do?
a chassis swap just because you don’t let like a steering box seems extremely backwards to me

Maybe I should've said I love the way my 60 rides, love the 80 ride a tad more. The steering box is an issue for me - otherwise I'd order a front/rear 80 kit from Trail-Tailor. When I initially started researching possible alternatives to the 60's box, I ran across the frame swap threads/articles. That's when I started down the proverbial rabbit hole. As @NCFJ stated above, this is all hypothetical at the moment and maybe they'll be other options by the time I get to that point. Staying with a Toyota driveline has become important to me over the past couple of years.

@White Stripe's comments about keeping the 80 frame & driveline isn't something I thought of previously. It's something that would meet all but two of my check boxes - the box & upgrading the engine. But for now, I'm focusing on the body and frame I have currently. I should have my first 'how to' thread completed in a month or two. Changing the HVAC over to a RestoMod unit and will document the job from start to finish - including the cursing and numerous stops to learn from youtube.

What steering box would you prefer?

Agree.. The 80 gets my vote over the GX. IFS is a no go for me. The 100s are about to get a SAS swap from us too.

Maybe I should've said I love the way my 60 rides, love the 80 ride a tad more. The steering box is an issue for me - otherwise I'd order a front/rear 80 kit from Trail-Tailor. When I initially started researching possible alternatives to the 60's box, I ran across the frame swap threads/articles. That's when I started down the proverbial rabbit hole. As @NCFJ stated above, this is all hypothetical at the moment and maybe they'll be other options by the time I get to that point. Staying with a Toyota driveline has become important to me over the past couple of years.

@White Stripe's comments about keeping the 80 frame & driveline isn't something I thought of previously. It's something that would meet all but two of my check boxes - the box & upgrading the engine. But for now, I'm focusing on the body and frame I have currently. I should have my first 'how to' thread completed in a month or two. Changing the HVAC over to a RestoMod unit and will document the job from start to finish - including the cursing and numerous stops to learn from youtube.

Coil conversion... 80 box with 105 sector shaft and all 80 suspension and axles. Rides better than any 80 I've ever been in.

We just finished this one up today.

Perfect stance (IMO) and 4 corner adjustable shocks.

IMG_20200509_114116569.jpg
IMG_20200509_102746267.jpg
IMG_20200506_134049351.jpg

Agree.. The 80 gets my vote over the GX. IFS is a no go for me. The 100s are about to get a SAS swap from us too.

Coil conversion... 80 box with 105 sector shaft and all 80 suspension and axles. Rides better than any 80 I've ever been in.

We just finished this one up today.

Perfect stance (IMO) and 4 corner adjustable shocks.

View attachment 2301153View attachment 2301154View attachment 2301155

That looks incredible - both the work and the stance is spot on/tight. Who would you recommend sending the box to get the rebuild & 105 shaft?

That looks incredible - both the work and the stance is spot on/tight. Who would you recommend sending the box to get the rebuild & 105 shaft?

NOT REDHEAD!!!

Lares Corp in MN is who I started using. Before I left WY one of the machinists I knew used to work for them. He was a diehard and praised everything about that company. I was going to rebuild a few with him, but left before I had a chance. They aren't hard to rebuild, just tedious. If you rebuild make sure you use as many OEM parts as you can or buy a Gates rebuild kit. The parts mic as close to OEM as any out there.

WTOR is still rebuilding but quality is hit or miss I'm seeing of late.

J

NOT REDHEAD!!!

Lares Corp in MN is who I started using. Before I left WY one of the machinists I knew used to work for them. He was a diehard and praised everything about that company. I was going to rebuild a few with him, but left before I had a chance. They aren't hard to rebuild, just tedious. If you rebuild make sure you use as many OEM parts as you can or buy a Gates rebuild kit. The parts mic as close to OEM as any out there.

WTOR is still rebuilding but quality is hit or miss I'm seeing of late.

J

Much appreciated, J. Trivia tid bit for you - your reputation proceeds you all the way down here in Louisiana. Heard your name come up in a recent conversation and was like WTF! Congrats on that, your new shop, and the phenomenal progress you've made. Well deserved.

Much appreciated, J. Trivia tid bit for you - your reputation proceeds you all the way down here in Louisiana. Heard your name come up in a recent conversation and was like WTF! Congrats on that, your new shop, and the phenomenal progress you've made. Well deserved.

Thanks,

We strive to offer stellar customer service, high quality products and treat people the way we want to be treated.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom