GX470 Engine whine at low rpms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
007 Lexus GX470. Jus changed timing belt 123400, water pump, tensioner and bearing. idler bearing, power steering pump...still have whine in engine compartment at low rpm and idle...atf in power steering reservoir...

can timing belt cause this whine..using my stethoscope the whining noise is loudest at the front of the black plastic timing belt cover over the passenger side cam end.....

How do I post a video? What format does the video need to be in to post? Then you could hear the sound this vehicle makes now...

IMG_5970.JPG

IMG_5969.JPG

IMG_5968.JPG

IMG_5967.JPG

007 Lexus GX470. Jus changed timing belt 123400, water pump, tensioner and bearing. idler bearing, power steering pump...still have whine in engine compartment at low rpm and idle...atf in power steering reservoir...

can timing belt cause this whine..using my stethoscope the whining noise is loudest at the front of the black plastic timing belt cover over the passenger side cam end.....

How do I post a video? What format does the video need to be in to post? Then you could hear the sound this vehicle makes now...

View attachment 2633817

View attachment 2633818

View attachment 2633819

View attachment 2633820
The noise was coming from the alternator. The light for the battery charging in the dash finally came on after the GX470 stopped running. Replaced timing belt, water pump, idler bearing, tensioner, serpentine belt, exterior idler bearing. power steering pump, battery, and finally the noise is gone and everything is good for another 100K.

The noise was coming from the alternator. The light for the battery charging in the dash finally came on after the GX470 stopped running. Replaced timing belt, water pump, idler bearing, tensioner, serpentine belt, exterior idler bearing. power steering pump, battery, and finally the noise is gone and everything is good for another 100K.

So did you replace the alternator?

Alternators don't have a wear indicator, but the bearings do fail and its typically around the time that the brushes are wearing out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom