GX460 vs. lc200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just test drove a predator-faced brand new gx460 and I was impressed. The front bumper is better looking in person but I know most people don't like it. Anyhow, They have "base models" for 50k sticker which seems to still be tricked out pretty nicely, no nav or heated seats, but pretty sweet, and the price has come down to where a new one is only slightly more than a used model, like 1500 dollar difference for brand new. The size, and visibility out of the windows remind me of my 80 series, just a whole lot smoother. I found myself more at comfortable in this ride than the 200 series I drove last week(which I also loved, especially the 5.7). I still am leaning toward the 200 but I did feel right at home inside of the gx, once again due to great visibility out of the windows and the size of it. What do y'all think about them? Did any of y'all consider one before buying an LC?

I let my wife drive the 200 everyday, I considered buying a GX for myself, but instead opted to save money and buy an FJ. If I had to choose between the GX and the 200 I personally would take the 200. GX is basically the Land Cruiser Prado in Lexus skin... I feel like the lexus would be a great ride to never take off the road it is too pretty. But that is my opinion

I've never owned a GX460, but it is a Landcruiser forsure! I'm a 200 guy, I like the size of it and the power of the 5.7 etc... It's a Beast! But if ya had a showdown offroad I think it would be a battle between the two, infact on paper the GX460 would proly take the 200(depending on the terrain) It's got a tighter wheelbase (109 vs 112) and it is narrower... Plus it has all the good LC stuff, KDSS, Crawl control etc.. So offroad ya have what we'll call a tie, towing and space and power go to the 200 series!!! I think this comes down to ya know ya want an LC, just if ya want to Biggie size it or not;) just my 2 cents....

The front bumper looks like Darth Vader.

the older GX460 looked better, imo

It Did.

I agree about the front end being better on the 2013 but the 2015 has a "base" model that is 20-30k cheaper brand new than a new lc200 and 1500$ more expensive than a 2011 w/ 40k miles. I'm thinking an lc prado arb front bumper or a custom job from someone like mike from bump it off road could make a brand new gx460 a screaming deal. Am I crazy?

I agree about the front end being better on the 2013 but the 2015 has a "base" model that is 20-30k cheaper brand new than a new lc200 and 1500$ more expensive than a 2011 w/ 40k miles. I'm thinking an lc prado arb front bumper or a custom job from someone like mike from bump it off road could make a brand new gx460 a screaming deal. Am I crazy?

I don't think you can go wrong with this base GX460, just get a dark color front won't standout in a darker color.

TioChachie

I have an Idea!! Buy the GX460 and do a Land Cruiser Prado conversion... You will be the only one in the US will the Prado Front!! That would be cool lol

Prado.jpg

It's basically a luxurious Toyota Prado (available in the rest of the world). 120 series?

We looked at the '14 GX when shopping around for the wife. We bought my 200 and her '14 4Runner trail premium at the same time. Ultimately she decided on the 4Runner as she didn't want to drive a Lexus and we got a great deal buying both. Since we don't have the 150 here I personally compare it to a dressed up 4Runner. The base model GX is pretty basic considering 50k. Also the 4.6 v8 is uneventful. Didn't notice much difference between the v6 and 4.6 v8. The 5.7 on the other hand. :) I would go with the 200 or look at the TRD Pro or limited 4Runner.

I am back to leaning toward finding a 200 again after the flirtation with the gx. I will say though, I think a long term relationship with the Lexus dealership here in Austin tx would be nice, they know how to treat a prospective buyer and if those same attitudes are reflected by the service/parts dept, it would make for a pleasant long term ownership. Of course, I have an '02 taco and have only been to the toyota dealership once after buying it so maybe it doesn't matter.

Nice rig, but it's no Land Cruiser. And of all makes/models, the Land Cruiser is one that doesn't need any favors from the service dept.

I am back to leaning toward finding a 200 again after the flirtation with the gx. I will say though, I think a long term relationship with the Lexus dealership here in Austin tx would be nice, they know how to treat a prospective buyer and if those same attitudes are reflected by the service/parts dept, it would make for a pleasant long term ownership. Of course, I have an '02 taco and have only been to the toyota dealership once after buying it so maybe it doesn't matter.

I bought a New ES350 from them this year. Service is nice but dealership service department is not very knowledgable when it comes to the LX. They claimed they never grease the driveline not needed. I insisted they lube my 6 grease fittings on my LX470 with the oil change. I start to get a thud every 10k miles if not greased. This dealership wants to claim if you have a thud something is wrong and you need a new driveshaft?? Well they claimed they greased it. I drove away and still had the thud. Next day bought a grease gun and crawler. Did it myself, based on the dirt and lack of grease they lied to me. Now that I greased it no thud.

GX is a 4Runner platform if I remember correctly and I definitely prefer the LC200. While the LC200 is more expensive than the GX, it's a much more under the radar high dollar vehicle and Lexus is a lot of unnecessary bling for my taste. The Toyota just fits me much better.

Yep, Prado, GX, 4runner, FJ Cruiser and Tacoma all share the same frame... Kind of, they are just modified versions of one another I.E. Fj Cruiser is just chopped so it has a shorter wheel base... etc etc

Zing!

I kind of think of them as a ladies truck, because that's mostly what I see behind the wheel here in Louisville.
They are really nice though. Go for the 200 its a mans ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom