GX460 Steering Wheel Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I checked before posting this and didn't notice a post that has been made yet about removing the steering wheel. I did this to repair and paint a damaged steering wheel on the GX460 that I bought recently.

The first step is to disconnect the battery so that your airbag doesn't go poof. Once you've taken that safety precaution, take a thin tool and remove the trim piece on the driver's side of the steering wheel. There is a similar trim piece on the passenger side to remove as well. Once these are removed, use a T30 screwdriver to remove the single screw from each side.

PXL_20210314_162222958.MP.jpg

PXL_20210314_162213810.MP.jpg

PXL_20210314_162930222.MP.jpg

Now, you're able to move the airbag out of the way. With the T30 screws removed, the airbag will slide away from the steering wheel. Don't pull too hard because there are three electrical wires connected to it. The two in the center of the airbag (orange and black) need to have the center yellow tab popped up before you can disconnect them. This is easy enough to do with a small flat screwdriver. The black wire can just be disconnected once the locking tab is pulled away from the connector.

PXL_20210314_162944104.MP.jpg
PXL_20210314_163408219.MP.jpg

With the airbag disconnected, set it outside of the vehicle. No need to have it near you and potentially go off. Life's hard enough as it is. The last thing keeping the steering wheel on the column is a 19MM nut. Removing this nut can take a little bit of elbow grease and pulling this hard on something inside your car feels a little unnatural.

PXL_20210314_163635133.MP.jpg

WAIT! Before you remove the steering wheel from the column, take a Sharpie and mark how the steering wheel is currently aligned. You'll need to match this up when putting the steering wheel back on and if you get it wrong, you'll be steering crooked.

PXL_20210314_163941317.MP.jpg

Getting the steering wheel loose from here just takes a couple of hard knocks on either side of the steering wheel and then it pulls straight towards you. Another word of caution here: if you go too fast, you may damage the airbag electrical wires. Carefully feed them through the hole in the top of the steering wheel.

PXL_20210314_164320460.MP.jpg

And you're clear! Follow these in reverse-ish to get the steering wheel back on.

Great write up! Thanks for taking the time to photo the whole process.
It looks similar to removing the 100 series Landcruiers steering wheel, which I've had to do several times in the past.

I've come close, but never made contact with my face!

I checked before posting this and didn't notice a post that has been made yet about removing the steering wheel. I did this to repair and paint a damaged steering wheel on the GX460 that I bought recently.

The first step is to disconnect the battery so that your airbag doesn't go poof. Once you've taken that safety precaution, take a thin tool and remove the trim piece on the driver's side of the steering wheel. There is a similar trim piece on the passenger side to remove as well. Once these are removed, use a T30 screwdriver to remove the single screw from each side.

View attachment 2626589
View attachment 2626592
View attachment 2626590

Now, you're able to move the airbag out of the way. With the T30 screws removed, the airbag will slide away from the steering wheel. Don't pull too hard because there are three electrical wires connected to it. The two in the center of the airbag (orange and black) need to have the center yellow tab popped up before you can disconnect them. This is easy enough to do with a small flat screwdriver. The black wire can just be disconnected once the locking tab is pulled away from the connector.

View attachment 2626594View attachment 2626597

With the airbag disconnected, set it outside of the vehicle. No need to have it near you and potentially go off. Life's hard enough as it is. The last thing keeping the steering wheel on the column is a 19MM nut. Removing this nut can take a little bit of elbow grease and pulling this hard on something inside your car feels a little unnatural.
Hey many thanks for this write up. I used this along with tech stream to swap my headlight switch assembly. My 2017 came without the fogs, and I can also confirm the factory fogs plug right into pre-wired harnesses behind the bumper and swapping the light switch with the fog light toggle turns them on just like factory. Thanks again!

Bumping thread. How do these come off? Are they just clipped in and pop out with a panel tool or are they screwed/bolted in?

Either way do I need to remove the airbag first?

D935B4EE-95AE-4B9E-9C70-11F7FA8840DF.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: r2m
Bumping thread. How do these come off? Are they just clipped in and pop out with a panel tool or are they screwed/bolted in?

Either way do I need to remove the airbag first?

View attachment 2786579
The controls stay on the steering wheel when removing unless that is the part you are fixing. There are a number of connectors that have to be disconnected on both left and right side switches prior to removing the steering wheel. The following video for an RX shows the steps quickly. FYI, it doesn't show when removing the airbag connections, you have to lift the yellow tabs on top of the connectors prior to prying up the connections for removal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom