GX460 Roof Antenna Shark Fin Cover Delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched a lot of threads to try to figure out a good way to create a low profile option for the roof shark fin antenna cover for our 2017 GX460 luxury. I couldn't find an antenna delete thread that clearly showed it working for our GX without removal through the headliner or home brewing a cover. When we use the factory rack our XL Thule box could not be properly positioned because of the shark fin antenna cover height. And as we built up our GX we decided we wanted a strong modular roof rack design that could hold a table underneath as we overland with three kids and are always tight on space and value sit down family meals at a table. So after reading a bunch of threads across different Toyota and Lexus forums (many of them garage mishap threads) and searching parts lists we determined that the antenna cover base was the same as a 2016-2020 5th Gen 4Runner. This led us to the 3D Printed Go Fast Campers 4Runner Delete Cover. Our K-9 rack finally came last week after a four month wait so it was time to confirm the delete could work. All went smoothly without a hiccup and we finished in under 10 minutes.

I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to trim the top of the outer shark fin cover and then could access tabs allowing me to pop off the outer cover. Then the inner cover could be unscrewed and and replaced with the GFC Delete Cover. There was a metal fin antenna that stood straight up in the cover housing, hence the shark fin shape, and I trimmed the metal antenna plate down to 3/16" with the cutoff wheel so it would fit under the cover. The tolerances are spot on for the GFC cover and so tight that it snaps over the rubber gasket with a satisfying snap. I was going to prime it white but realized the plastic base that has to remain on the roof is black so just accepted that it is a black cover on the roof. After install the FM, AM, and satellite radio work just as they always have. We've travelled a hundred miles or so outside our region and the reception remains solid. And now our under-rack table fits. I thought this might be useful to other folks with recent GXs. There are a few other delete plates available for earlier vehicles from other vendors and by looking across part numbers it's possible the 2010-2014 GFC plate could work on earlier GXs but I haven't done the legwork on that. Hopefully this will help some of you who are interested in doing something similar.

IMG_6706.jpeg

IMG_6708.jpeg

IMG_6713.jpeg

IMG_6715.jpeg

IMG_6785.jpeg

So what happens to the fin?

Personally, I'd like to relocate the "fin" so I get better reception. My Gamiviti rack with the iKapmer on top causes me to lose reception depending upon which direction (of the compass) I'm traveling since they work with geosynchronous orbit satellites.

Nice find, OP. Appreciate you sharing this.

Personally, I'd like to relocate the "fin" so I get better reception. My Gamiviti rack with the iKapmer on top causes me to lose reception depending upon which direction (of the compass) I'm traveling since they work with geosynchronous orbit satellites.

Same. If I'm driving North, typically, the Gamiviti rack rear most crossbar likes to block my satellite radio reception.

So what happens to the fin?
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but the outer and inner fin cover were replaced by the low profile GFC 3D printed cover plate leaving the antenna circuit board in place on the roof. Internal and external gaskets keep the circuit board and the roof waterproof (in theory). I was told the metal antenna I cut down is the FM diversity antenna which I believe is an alternative low gain FM antenna the radio switches to when you are close to a transmitting source. I haven't seen a difference yet in our favorite three stations for reception while driving around the Bay Area.

When I have the luxury of some time, I may try to cut down the two factory fin covers pretty flat, epoxy, and sand and paint and eventually put in place of the GFC cover. I have dozens of little GX projects planned so it is pretty low priority, but I wouldn't mind the better aesthetics.

When researching the fin cover replacement, I did see lots of Toyota folks wanting to replace their antenna assembly location, or at least their Satellite antenna, to improve reception. Universally it was reported that the proprietary connectors made it difficult to swap for a non-Toyota antenna option.

Interestingly, many who purchased and swapped lower profile antennas from other car models (e.g. Camry for 4Runner) report greatly improved reception. In many cases it seems the factory antenna assembly degrades and the improvement comes from simply replacing it with a newer part but some report that alternate antennas just flat out have better reception. It might be worth trying as a lot of those antenna assemblies can be found for under $50 used. One of the longer threads on this can be found over at T4R.org.

For the record, my 2014 antenna does not look like this. It doesn't have the inner shark fin like the later ones. It is also different than the earlier 4runners, so the other GFC kit will not work. I have removed mine completely and covered the hole with an adhesive metal plate. My SOS light stays red, and I don't use satellite radio. I will look into using a 16+ antenna on my 14

For the record, my 2014 antenna does not look like this. It doesn't have the inner shark fin like the later ones. It is also different than the earlier 4runners, so the other GFC kit will not work. I have removed mine completely and covered the hole with an adhesive metal plate. My SOS light stays red, and I don't use satellite radio. I will look into using a 16+ antenna on my 14
GFC has a delete kit for the ‘10-‘14 4Runner that has a rounded nose that may work for you. The one I presented here is for 2016+. Perhaps this will fit your ‘14.

I searched a lot of threads to try to figure out a good way to create a low profile option for the roof shark fin antenna cover for our 2017 GX460 luxury. I couldn't find an antenna delete thread that clearly showed it working for our GX without removal through the headliner or home brewing a cover. When we use the factory rack our XL Thule box could not be properly positioned because of the shark fin antenna cover height. And as we built up our GX we decided we wanted a strong modular roof rack design that could hold a table underneath as we overland with three kids and are always tight on space and value sit down family meals at a table. So after reading a bunch of threads across different Toyota and Lexus forums (many of them garage mishap threads) and searching parts lists we determined that the antenna cover base was the same as a 2016-2020 5th Gen 4Runner. This led us to the 3D Printed Go Fast Campers 4Runner Delete Cover. Our K-9 rack finally came last week after a four month wait so it was time to confirm the delete could work. All went smoothly without a hiccup and we finished in under 10 minutes.

I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to trim the top of the outer shark fin cover and then could access tabs allowing me to pop off the outer cover. Then the inner cover could be unscrewed and and replaced with the GFC Delete Cover. There was a metal fin antenna that stood straight up in the cover housing, hence the shark fin shape, and I trimmed the metal antenna plate down to 3/16" with the cutoff wheel so it would fit under the cover. The tolerances are spot on for the GFC cover and so tight that it snaps over the rubber gasket with a satisfying snap. I was going to prime it white but realized the plastic base that has to remain on the roof is black so just accepted that it is a black cover on the roof. After install the FM, AM, and satellite radio work just as they always have. We've travelled a hundred miles or so outside our region and the reception remains solid. And now our under-rack table fits. I thought this might be useful to other folks with recent GXs. There are a few other delete plates available for earlier vehicles from other vendors and by looking across part numbers it's possible the 2010-2014 GFC plate could work on earlier GXs but I haven't done the legwork on that. Hopefully this will help some of you who are interested in doing something similar.

View attachment 2621568

View attachment 2621569

View attachment 2621572

View attachment 2621576

View attachment 2621578
Do you have any idea if this will work for the Land Cruiser ? (2021)

View attachment 2621568

View attachment 2621569

View attachment 2621572

View attachment 2621576

View attachment 2621578
Thanks for posting this! I just bought the delete kit so I can fit my box without it touching! I had a GFC on a previous vehicle and trust those guys!

So with my new lift, I need to try this as my shark fin is scraping the garage entry, hopefully works on a 2018!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom