GX460 / Prado150 pic thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Always fun to get the first post out of the way..
Recently traded in my '21 Tacoma (TRD Sport 4x4... pretty much fully loaded) for this '14 with 96,XXX on the clock. Soon to hit 100K!!
All I can say about the trade is... SO GLAD I DID IT!

She's the luxury version with Nav. Has seen 3 owners but each one of them did every single service through Lexus... Paid for updated Nav data the month before it was turned in... All of the recalls and even the "it can wait" kind of maintenance done. This vehicle took me a long time to find. Very happy.

IMG_5549.jpg

Welcome to the forum!
Congrats on your new ride!
Feel free to share your future dreams and aspirations for it! :cheers:

Welcome to the forum!
Congrats on your new ride!
Feel free to share your future dreams and aspirations for it! :cheers:
I had originally planned to build out my Tacoma, lift, wheels/tires, camper shell, RTT, the works... I still have the lift and TRD wheels sitting in my storage waiting to find a buyer... haha.

The plan is to lift her up a bit, some Wildpeaks, throw a RTT on it. Eventually all the cool things.. storage drawers in the back, I've always dreamed of a swingout tire/jerry can setup. I like that I won't have to worry about the camper shell and all that comes with on the GX, it's a much better platform out of the box for what my plans are.

Why not use those TRD wheels on your GX?

Why not use those TRD wheels on your GX?
Never considered it and honestly haven’t gone down the rabbit hole for the GX yet when it come to specifics on tire sizes and offsets.

Also… I think I’d like to go with a wheel that says “luxury” a bit more than the TRDs.

It’s getting obnoxious to see these wheels on every Toyota around town too.

Never considered it and honestly haven’t gone down the rabbit hole for the GX yet when it come to specifics on tire sizes and offsets.

Also… I think I’d like to go with a wheel that says “luxury” a bit more than the TRDs.

One thing good about those wheels is that they are forged and designed for abusive off roading. Keep that in mind when when you're looking for new wheels that they are forged and not cast. A cast wheel can shatter on impact, a forged wheel will just bend.
Either way, you should get a good price for them! ;)

One thing good about those wheels is that they are forged and designed for abusive off roading. Keep that in mind when when you're looking for new wheels that they are forged and not cast. A cast wheel can shatter on impact, a forged wheel will just bend.
Either way, you should get a good price for them! ;)
They're certainly another thing Toyota has done right. They're super light, too, which was more of a concern when I was pushing that Sienna engine... Definitely will be looking at something forged, thanks! I have been eyeing some Fifteen52s but I have plenty of time to find more wheels I'd want too :p

They're certainly another thing Toyota has done right. They're super light, too, which was more of a concern when I was pushing that Sienna engine... Definitely will be looking at something forged, thanks! I have been eyeing some Fifteen52s but I have plenty of time to find more wheels I'd want too :p
Light is good! Less unsprung weight when going over washboard.
Although, that extra lightness is usually made up with the heavier oversized tires. Ha-ha!

Light is good! Less unsprung weight when going over washboard.
Although, that extra lightness is usually made up with the heavier oversized tires. Ha-ha!
Oh yeah! I am 99% going with Wildpeaks. IDK what size I will end up with but they're a bit on the heavier side for sure!

Always fun to get the first post out of the way..
Recently traded in my '21 Tacoma (TRD Sport 4x4... pretty much fully loaded) for this '14 with 96,XXX on the clock. Soon to hit 100K!!
All I can say about the trade is... SO GLAD I DID IT!

She's the luxury version with Nav. Has seen 3 owners but each one of them did every single service through Lexus... Paid for updated Nav data the month before it was turned in... All of the recalls and even the "it can wait" kind of maintenance done. This vehicle took me a long time to find. Very happy.

Congrats good looking rig, love the white on these. I have the same wheels and sometimes I like them, sometimes I want the TRD’s, sometimes I want the F sport, and recently I’ve been thinking of having them powder coated black. I’m all over I just know I want the wildpeak’s lol.

Welcome!

As long as they're 17", they'll fit. 16" will not clear the calipers.

I agree with you though. I had them on my GX470 back in PA and they were pretty unique. I used to get lots of compliments. Since I moved to Dallas, I'd say 80%+ of 4Runners and Tacos have them haha. It doesn't hurt that almost every 4Runner here is a TRD Pro to begin with.

Welcome!

As long as they're 17", they'll fit. 16" will not clear the calipers.

I agree with you though. I had them on my GX470 back in PA and they were pretty unique. I used to get lots of compliments. Since I moved to Dallas, I'd say 80%+ of 4Runners and Tacos have them haha. It doesn't hurt that almost every 4Runner here is a TRD Pro to begin with.
I hear that. Funny enough when we were in San Antonio are there weren't that many running these wheels. When we moved up to Boise area it's same as Dallas it sounds like.

Appreciate the 17" info. I do know that the offset for those TRD wheels make it alluring for most, basically plug and play with the tacoma if you run Pizza Cutters. Any offset paramters to avoid? Was trying to avoid cutting when I had the taco. It seems like I will need to do some kind of trimming regardless when I lift this big girl.

I hear that. Funny enough when we were in San Antonio are there weren't that many running these wheels. When we moved up to Boise area it's same as Dallas it sounds like.

Appreciate the 17" info. I do know that the offset for those TRD wheels make it alluring for most, basically plug and play with the tacoma if you run Pizza Cutters. Any offset paramters to avoid? Was trying to avoid cutting when I had the taco. It seems like I will need to do some kind of trimming regardless when I lift this big girl.
I would stick between -12 and +10 for offset. The OEM wheels are +25 so a little lower offset helps make the wheels/tires appear less sunk into the fenders like OEM. IIRC the TRD wheels are either 0 offset, +15, or something weird like +4. Any of those would work just fine but you'll probably have to do a little trimming/shaping in the front fenders with any upsized tire.

Yep, the TRD Pro 4Runner wheels are +4. Here's a walk around of a GX that has them with 285s and a lift. They put the tires pretty much flush with the fender, just like they did on my 470.

Here's some lift/wheel/tire combos from GXOR. The more negative you go, the more likely you are to need a BMC.

Awesome info @Arailt I appreciate it. I will definitely stay away from negative offsets. The thought of doing a Cab Mount Chop on the taco made me shudder. I'd like to try and maintain as much as the OEM geometry as possible. Definitely lots to learn and plenty of time!

Awesome info @Arailt I appreciate it. I will definitely stay away from negative offsets. The thought of doing a Cab Mount Chop on the taco made me shudder. I'd like to try and maintain as much as the OEM geometry as possible. Definitely lots to learn and plenty of time!
BTW, don't sweat a BMC (body mount chop). It's kind of like having your tonsils removed. Almost always done, not too expensive and very common.
Probably 90% of those with 4R's and GX's with larger tires have done it or plan on it because of the rubbing.
As good as Toyota engineers are, they really blew it on locating the body mounts. Really should have moved those body mounts further back an inch or two.

BTW, don't sweat a BMC (body mount chop). It's kind of like having your tonsils removed. Almost always done, not too expensive and very common.
Probably 90% of those with 4R's and GX's with larger tires have done it or plan on it because of the rubbing.
As good as Toyota engineers are, they really blew it on locating the body mounts. Really should have moved those body mounts further back an inch or two.
That's good to know!!

The TRD wheels that fit our vehicles are not forged. I believe they are “flow formed.” And those wheels posted previously are a knock off im pretty sure. The true TRD wheels will have more of a + Offset than those in the previous pic.

And those wheels posted previously are a knock off im pretty sure. The true TRD wheels will have more of a + Offset than those in the previous pic.
If you're referring to the video I linked, those are genuine. they are 17x7 with +4 offset. Toyota makes them in matte black, matte grey (graphite), bronze, and I think a glossier grey with black TRD logo.

3 of us spent 6 days and 5 nights on the road, so to speak. ;) We spent the first 2 days base camped at Hawk Pride Mountain Offroad Park in North AL prepping for our upcoming event, Mardi Krawl, which takes place at the end of Aug. We left HPO on Sunday and went to Bankhead National Forest. We were only going to be there a few hours but we were enjoying the day so we spent the night there in Brushy Lake. Then on Monday we drove down to Talladega National Forest. The first trail we hit was 600-1. They call it the AL Rubicon. :rofl: We camped at Turnip Seed on Monday night and explored parts of the East AL Adventure Loop on Mon and Tues. Tues evening we attempted to get to some campsites on the northern end of the loop but a road was closed due to a washed out culvert. We didn't want to backtrack several miles to come around from the other side as it was getting late so we camped at a nearby hunt camp (can't remember the name) but we were the only one's there. All in all it was a great trip. This was my first trip with InTech camper and it handled everything with ease. Can't wait to go on more adventures with it.

IMG_0640.JPG
IMG_0544.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG
IMG_0632.JPG
IMG_0623.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom