GX 460 vs LX or Land Cruiser...long freeway driving and back door? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After three LCs and at 200K+ and 13 years on current LC I am looking at new. As I hit 70 YO in 2017 questioning if the GX460 might be a good choice at this stage...it much of the LC feel and finishing but just a bit smaller?

Two large concerns...

1) We drive a couple of times a year to California from MN...total trip equals about 5K each. Very comfortable in the LC...stable, seating rear space, etc. For those who have owned both or experienced both how would you compare the long distance freeway (i.e. 70-80MPH) driving difference??

2) I am also curious/nervous about the big door on the back of the GX? Again, for those who have experienced both what are your thoughts? Do you get used to it and eventually say..."I actually like it as well or better?"..."It's OK but sure liked the LC LX rear door much better"...or "don't really like it at all".

I guess I am a little concerned about interior space...but not too much...also trailering but at this point I only trailer a Polaris Ranger on a single axle HD trailer.

Any other differences/"issues" you may have observed? All comments will be appreciated.

Thanks...Tom R

Having owned a '88 4Runner, '94 LC, a '13 4Runner and now a '13 GX460 throughout my life I have to say I like the back end of both the LC and the GX much better than the hatch of the newer 4runner. Being 6'2" I was always worried about hitting my head on the large hatch. The 94LC I had was lifted, so I didn't have to worry as much. AND it was much shorter upper hatch. The 4runners is large, so you can't just open it a little bit, although the rolldown window is the compromise. I like the LC's small lift up hatch along with the tailgate to hold any cargo in from falling out. The only downside to the tailgate is reaching into the far back... I usually had to jump up on the tailgate.

I know people will complain about the giant barn door of the GX460 but for me I can open it just a bit and still reach most of my cargo OR I can open the glass hatch and do the same.

For long drives, I have not experience with newer LC's. The GX460 though we drive from Portland to Seattle, and love the ride. I'm sure the LC and LX are the same quality. The leather in our GX I think is very comfortable as well.

Now since you mentioned towing.. the GX460 might not be good for you because of the large swing door. The LC would allow you to open the top hatch and maybe the tailgate, where you would be limited to the opening of the glass hatch or partial opening of the barn door on the GX.

I can’t help with your questions, but here’s a link to a general buying discussion. Guide me: GX or 4Runner to replace my TDi Touareg...

I’ve read there is a difference between the standard and the “Luxury” rides since the latter uses rear air springs. You might want to look into the Driver’s Assist package as well. Seems like a good thing to have and you can occasional find it on used 460s and not really priced in.

I owned a 97LC and driven a 100 series a good amount. I have also owned a GX470 and now own a GX460. The 460 handles highway miles the best of all of them. I haven't owned or driven a 200 though. I feel is the perfect size. I will say however that I like the split gate on the LCs more but I can live with the barn door. The window on the barn 460 opens now where the 470 didn't so that is definitely a plus. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Now if they offered the 5.7 in the GX that would be perfect.

Yeah, as a family of two a 3/4 size LC would be nice. Especially with the same motor! (Just need to fix the approach, breakover, departure angles, the rear door, add a rear locker, and make it capable of carrying a 33” spare, etc.)

Lexus has announce the LF-1 SUV concept to be revealed at the Detroit Auto Show. Rumored to potentially slot in between the RX and LX. If true, be interesting to see where that leaves the GX long term.
Lexus LF-1 Limitless looks like a curvy crossover concept

Last edited:
I love the GX and have been set on one for a while, but after the more I look at it, it's not the rear door that's the issue for me. I love the ride quality of the GX460 but the lack of the seats folding flat in back and low clearance bumpers F&R to have to change later are the kickers, so I'm starting to think 4Runner is a better route since aftermarket and clearances are better stock without chopping anything at all. Maybe I'm mistaken, can you get a useable sleeping area in the back of a GX460 w/o 3rd row seats, folding second row flat?

I love the GX and have been set on one for a while, but after the more I look at it, it's not the rear door that's the issue for me. I love the ride quality of the GX460 but the lack of the seats folding flat in back and low clearance bumpers F&R to have to change later are the kickers, so I'm starting to think 4Runner is a better route since aftermarket and clearances are better stock without chopping anything at all. Maybe I'm mistaken, can you get a useable sleeping area in the back of a GX460 w/o 3rd row seats, folding second row flat?

I was in the same boat as you. I don’t need it to off-road every day or rock climb but it is very capable truck despite the bumpers. That can be mitigated somewhat with a lift. In the end, the build quality and much better everyday comforts won me over. I’ve driven both back to back 3 times. The v8 is smooth and feels like a truck should-sont believe what others say, it’s much more responsive off the line then the 4.0 despite the weight difference. Seriously, it’s super comfortable, buy it you won’t regret it.

I wouldn't let the barn door hold you back. Its never been an issue for me and I was driving an RX330 before with a swing up hatch. The barn door is also great when you have stuff on the roof, you just swing the door open and it never hits anything (the glass hatch will hit your stuff though if you just open it up). The bumpers are not a big deal, the back will only scratch on the corners at tough angles, but going straight up obstacles the hitch takes the brunt. Front bumper isn't too bad, once i ripped the lower trim piece off, I've only hit when getting a little air which I probably shouldn't be doing anyway. One lifted with the front trim piece off, clearance isn't much of an issue.

20171112_144857.jpg

For towing anything more than 3k, go with the 5.7 200, I bought the GX for towing a car trailer once in blue moon and this thing struggles. My opinion of struggle seems to be different than some other people hauling similar loads, but I prefer to use a heavier duty rig for towing, especially if you will ever be needing to tow a 5 or 6000 lb load.

For towing anything more than 3k, go with the 5.7 200, I bought the GX for towing a car trailer once in blue moon and this thing struggles. My opinion of struggle seems to be different than some other people hauling similar loads, but I prefer to use a heavier duty rig for towing, especially if you will ever be needing to tow a 5 or 6000 lb load.

Any history of a TRD SC being made for that motor for the 460?

I've not seen anyone with a SC on the forums, could probably fit one if TRD has it for the 4.6 Tundra. I don't care to add F/I to this rig, its slow and I like it that way. I twin turboed my G35 and that is more than enough head ache.

I wouldn't let the barn door hold you back. Its never been an issue for me and I was driving an RX330 before with a swing up hatch. The barn door is also great when you have stuff on the roof, you just swing the door open and it never hits anything (the glass hatch will hit your stuff though if you just open it up). The bumpers are not a big deal, the back will only scratch on the corners at tough angles, but going straight up obstacles the hitch takes the brunt. Front bumper isn't too bad, once i ripped the lower trim piece off, I've only hit when getting a little air which I probably shouldn't be doing anyway. One lifted with the front trim piece off, clearance isn't much of an issue.

View attachment 1609166

Side note (sorry OP): Is that Berdoo Canyon Trail in the pic?

OP, if you're still deciding, I went through an almost exact fork in the road recently and, surprisingly, we decided to go with the GX460 over the LX570. Even though our GX is mainly driven by my wife I still wanted her SUV to be capable with good AT tires for most light/moderate trails so it can play a back up off-road role for our LX450 if need be.

I checked all the technical aspects between GX/LX and honestly, they're similarly capable for all intents and purposes unless you race for money or tow up and down hills all the time. The new LX's navi system is definitely nicer, the build quality is of course second-to-none, and in my opinion the LC/LX's tailgate is awesome. I love having a real tailgate and it's actually useful for "daily life" stuff like picnics on the trails, as a tool/parts tray, a seat for a few minutes, etc..

I've helped a few of my buddies buy GX470's over the past few years so I knew about the GX's side swinging door. Always hated it. I thought it held the GX back from being as useful as it would be if it had a "real" tailgate like the LC/LX. Highly subjective but that was my main reservation when considering the GX. The 570 does obviously have more power, but it also weighs 800 pounds more so that's sort of a wash..

I don't even look/care about gas mileage when I buy Lexus trucks so we didn't consider the slight differences there.

In the end, once my wife checked both out closely (and despite me rallying for the LX570) she really liked the GX460 best so that's what we ended up getting. The GX460's are bigger/heavier (in stock form) than our LX450 but the new LX570's did feel a little less agile and more lumbering than the GX460.

We actually just took the GX from San Diego to SW Utah this weekend. Had the GX in 4Lo on some trails in the mountains and it did well. Obviously much more comfortable than my old LX450, but hey it's also 20 years newer. :) The new GX has a little less shoulder room than the LX570 but not too much of a difference. Depends on how big you are. I'm 6'4", 220 and while I do prefer the shoulder room of the LX/LC, the difference isn't big enough to me to make it a dealbreaker.

Also: After the first couple of weeks, I noticed the side swinging door isn't really that big of a deal. It actually is better in some ways, though I still prefer "real" tailgate of LX/LC. Side swinging/barn door is easier to open/close with one hand and the rear glass pops open which is useful. In a shallow, closed garage or while parallel parking, the GX's gate is impossible to open. That wide gate needs some room to swing.

Good luck with your decision if you didn't already make one!

IMG_20180224_140050.jpg

Wow, love your GX!

I see FN BFD wheels, what size tires?

Any suspension mods?

Great picture! Shots like yours make me so impressed with the GX, can't believe the ability of these things!

The barn door SUCKS. I truly despise it. By far the worst choice they could've made for the truck, especially given they already had the split tail gate design from the Land Cruiser and the hatch with electric up/down glass from the 4Runner available.

It's a PITA to deal with, can't open it with my hitch mounted bike rack in place, remains to be seen whether I can open it with my car trailer hooked up. Likes to slam on you when you park in a tilted parking lot, just awkward to deal with. Much harder for my wife to deal with, especially when dealing with small kids and groceries.

We needed a new vehicle and looked at/ordered a 2017 LC200 last year and got cold feet due to 8 speed tranny issues. Re-assessed needs and realized that we did not need as much space / power as offered by a late, used 6 speed LC 200.

Had owned a GX 470 bought new in 2002 and enjoyed it for a few years. Last year considered alternatives and bought a CPO 2013 GX 460. Perhaps the best all-around vehicle we have ever had.

Barn door - not an issue
Vehicle size - the "Goldilocks Solution" for two people, around town, long road trips, moderate towing
Power - adequate
General drivability:
Brakes - hate em, replacing with Terrain Tamer slotted/drilled rotors and pads
Handling - too soft, replacing with Terrain Tamer Pro suspension
Shifting - updating with HD Nomad Valve Body and TC lock up kit
Wheels/Tires - not adequate, replaced OEM with BFG KO IIs on Evo Corse wheels
OEM Lights - slowly replacing with LEDs

Will not see heavy trail use, but enough diverse conditions to warrant an elocker in back, will fit a Harrop/Eaton ELocker this Summer.

Disregard the brand names (I do get a deal) and consider that with some nominal upgrades, the Prado 150 platform can accomplish most missions for most owners.

For us, a sport "coupe" with good power, handling and size that can handle offroad duties.

upload_2018-5-18_6-36-55.png

I too am in the same situation, except I pulled the trigger! I'll be 60 next year and between my wife and I, have had two 1998 LC's together for many years, her's with 285k miles and mine with 248k miles. Mine is built to expedition spect's, well about 80% there...
Just pulled the trigger (as mentioned above, I'm not losing my mind yet!!) on a 2013 GX 460 Premium with 38k miles. Regarding the ride, The GX has heated AND ventilated seats and they feel great to me and my wife! I'm 6'-0" and about 250 lbs, she's 5'-1" and I won't give here weight, but she's pretty small. The inside feels very roomy to my wife and I. I think it'll be great for road trips!

Regarding the rear door, I personally do not care for the swing-out, and would prefer the lift and tailgate. But I'm very familiar with the swing-out because my daughter has a Rav-4 and that has a swing-out and she doesn't mind it.
I really think it is a personal thing.

I drive a 2007 Landcruiser and my wife drives a 2012 GX460.

The main differences are in the comfort level and amenities that the GX has over the LC. The GX suits my wife and her comfort needs where as the LC supports my needs for a vehicle that is rugged, still a good ride, not as smooth, and can be beat up. We pamper the GX. It has a Lexus feel and ride.

The GX also gets about better gas mileage by about 3 mpg and comes with a better stereo system which has a 10 inch sub.

The rear door is a little odd. I can't figure why it was designed that way but it really isn't too much of an issue and is easy to open and close. Overall, I prefer the set up of the LC door. It just seems smaller and easier to maneuver. But it's not a deal breaker.

The leather on the GX seems fancier and the LC seems a little more rugged.

Hope this helps.

I believe the general consensus is that the door is a swing out due to the fact in some countries Toyota adds a sub fuel tank where the US model carries the spare tire. The spare tire is then carried on the rear door (maybe due to size constraints). Toyota chooses not to offer a different type of door in this market probably because soccer moms don’t care and it saves the company a couple sheckles. Obviously no hope of something practical like a sub tank in our market...

The market mish-mash is why the GX is sort of an odd duck here. (V8, great tow, good drive train, aweful app/dep angles, no locker, swing door, etc...)

I believe the general consensus is that the door is a swing out due to the fact in some countries Toyota adds a sub fuel tank where the US model carries the spare tire. The spare tire is then carried on the rear door (maybe due to size constraints). Toyota chooses not to offer a different type of door in this market probably because soccer moms don’t care and it saves the company a couple sheckles. Obviously no hope of something practical like a sub tank in our market...

The market mish-mash is why the GX is sort of an odd duck here. (V8, great tow, good drive train, aweful app/dep angles, no locker, swing door, etc...)
But one has to admit, it is still a very capable off-roader. I think on par or better than the 4Runners (sans rear locker).

Wow, love your GX!

I see FN BFD wheels, what size tires?

Any suspension mods?

Great picture! Shots like yours make me so impressed with the GX, can't believe the ability of these things!

Hey sorry I am a few months late. Actually just noticed this. Thanks for the compliment on the GX. The wheels are 20" matte black Black Rhino Traverse.... Tires are Nitto Terra Grappler G2 in 285/50-20. I had very very slight rubbing on each front wheel liner at full turn that was easily fixed by hitting the liners for a few seconds with a heat gun and gently reforming the wheel liner. After that zero issues. They fit well and are wearing evenly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom