Builds GW Nugget's Family Haulin Lx450 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GW Nugget

Do the best you can with what you have...
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Hello I would like to introduce myself & my tight little ride a 4/97 LX450 bone stock in form with Elockers.
My intention in this thread is to keep records of my build progress. My goal is to start wheelin again & camping with my young family. 18 years ago I sold my fj40.

So here is my family haulin DD on the next morning I got it on 11-4-14 just one month ago.
It was a 4 hour drive to get it, I was so nervous because it was a very low price $5,600. I didn't know if it was a good deal or I was getting a short end of the stick. Do you know that feeling? It turns out that it spent the majority of time in the dry South West so it is very clean underneath like it's never left pavement. Now that I got home I think it was a good deal.
2014-12-03-18-13-15.png

So far all I have done is put brake pads on all corners check all fluids & 3 tanks of gas.
My end goal is a very mild build. Something like the pic below.
2014-11-03-10-51-26.png

That's all for now.
Finally a Cruiser owner again.
Can I call it a Cruiser?

Gary
aka Nugget

Here is my old 40. I had sell it in 97.
20150414_170916.jpg

20140525_213345_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Last edited:
Nice find! Welcome to the addiction.

2 days ago it got a lift OME 2.5" 851/860
NO SHOCKS YET, still shopping. RS900XL vs TJM adjustable.
2014-12-03-18-10-16.png

Here is is my shoe string leather seat fix.
20141116_173002.jpg

Last edited:
That's all for now.
Finally a Cruiser owner again.
Can I call it a Cruiser?

Gary

Hey Gary, looks good, and I think it's okay to call it a Cruiser.

Check out the Central Valley Crawlers' clubhouse section. I think the next run will be New Years Day to the snow.

Check out the Central Valley Crawlers' clubhouse section. I think the next run will be New Years Day to the snow.

Thanks Don I will.

Last edited:
Yes, you can call it a Cruiser. Until most folks get to know you and the rig they will look at you funny when you tell them you are out wheeling the 'Lexus'... Plus you dont have to look down your nose when you say Cruiser. I swear the Pink Panties is really more of a luxury beautiful super capable well optioned curse!

Nice truck!

I had a friend put the lift on since I did not have a press for the bushings.
My pass. side is a bit taller front & rear.
Wanted to let it settle in but I have flexed it enough.
I crawled under to check A & B sides today. They don't match.
As follows:
FRONT LEFT DRIVER: B
REAR LEFT DRIVER: A
FRONT RIGHT PASS: A
REAR RIGHT PASS: B
I have to look this up, its not correct.
I think B is US driver & A is US pass.

OH how fun.... it's a clean addiction...

Yep. Just spent an hour of research...
B on left side & A on right side as sitting in vehicle.
12-17-14 Got them switch to the correct side. Everything is within 1/4" now. Good enough.

Last edited:
:cheers:

OK. SO.
Here is my list of near future low budget mods:

SHOCKS... still using stockers, I'm looking at the RS900XL or the TJM adjustable ones.
I went with a set of Doetsch Tech 812SS like the 8385/8386 but rebuildable.

Under vehicle spare tire lift mod.
Complete 12-15-14

Get a set of used set of 35x12.5x15 mud tires.
On 1-7-15 I bought a set of Cooper ST Maxx 35"x12.5"x15" tires.
That was a mistake going to 15s... Read thread.
As of 3-6-15 I got smart... sold the 35s & got a set of 315s

Buy a set of steel 15x8 steel wheels w/ 3.5 BS.
On 1-2-15 A friend gave me a set of aluminium 15s with 3.5" backspace.

Keep 31s on stock rims for DD.

Remove & replace stock running boards with ARBs or TJM style running board step sliders. If I ditch the running boards my kids & grandma will be squaking at me.

Front & rear bumpers and leave it be.
I got a set of used bumpers for a super good deal on 12-30-14

Then build a hardcore streachted fj40 hybrid bobbed troopy.

Last edited:
15" wheels don't fit or fit well with the larger calipers on the 93+ LC/LX.

Last edited:
maybe I missed it, but what is wrong with the existing wheels :confused:

plus, tires for 15s are getting more difficult to find

I have 1/4 tread 31s on my stock wheels & I will DD those till next fall & want to wheel with 35s.
15" tires are 50 bucks cheaper per tire.
15" tires will allways be around.

Last edited:
Swapping those rear springs is not too difficult. If you can lift it by the rear bumper or hitch, the axle should droop enough to pull the springs out. With a floor jack & jack stands, you can lift it at the differential, then set the stands under the frame, lowering the axle for spring removal. If there's not enough droop, loosening the bottom of the shocks should help.

Don which spring is taller of the A & B rear.
I'm high by 1" on the rear right with the B on right rear.

Last edited:
Don which spring is taller of the A& B rear.
I'm high by 1" on the rear right with the B on right rear.
There are a couple threads somewhere that you probably were already looking at. They talk about driver & fuel tank weight as being the deciding factor in where the springs go, it also seems like some people just experiment to get it right. The other thing I have seen is the need to add a spacer to one spring to get the vehicle level. Do a search for trim packers, there are some from OME and some from Toyota.

There are a couple threads somewhere that you probably were already looking at. They talk about driver & fuel tank weight as being the deciding factor in where the springs go, it also seems like some people just experiment to get it right. The other thing I have seen is the need to add a spacer to one spring to get the vehicle level. Do a search for trim packers, there are some from OME and some from Toyota.

Don thanks for the info...
I will just switch them to the correct side as per Slee & go from there.
Its just that I paid 300 bones to have a 4x4 shop do it. The installer said this is his 1st 80 lift.
I didn't have the press to push the bushings out otherwise I would of done it myself.
Ive been tring to load every heavy thing I can find in the back to load the rear to see if my caster gets any better, but I havent had the time to drive it very far. Work, family etc.
Thank you you for your time.
It will get all fixed in time.
I'm fortunatly blessed to even have a Crusier & have these problems.
I have to go now...
Later

12-17-14 Swapped Rear springs B & A as per Slee instructions, all problems went away. Correct is B on left side & A on right side. I wish OME would put that in their instructions.

Last edited:
maybe I missed it, but what is wrong with the existing wheels :confused:

plus, tires for 15s are getting more difficult to find

I understand that the OEM alloy wheels are very durable and I plan to keep mine. Of course there is the ole OEM=Forged / OEM=Cast debate...but I have read that they are designed to be able to withstand hitting a curb at 25-35 MPH without breaking. Though, I can not say that is fact...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom