Builds GW Nugget's Family Haulin Lx450 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It seems like you could get more out of your spring bars.

We did a family trailer type camp in San Simion State Park & did a scenic coastal highway 1 run up to Big Sur. My family has never been up that way, it was a beautiful drive. We did evening walks, campfires & smores all they great family stuff...
Coastal Highway 1 up through Big Sur has some the most beautiful scenery in the world IMHO, great family stuff Gary.
Next time you heading over to the Coast drop me a line ;) RB
View attachment 2061046View attachment 2061047View attachment 2061048View attachment 2061049

View attachment 2061050

It seems like you could get more out of your spring bars.
You have a good eye there Steve. I could pull up more, it's 2 links up from snug, but then the trailer starts to squat. To get both level I need a lower drop hitch.
To be all honest I prefer a little squat bulldog stance under load. I have found it to have better handling & braking. The front goes level under braking & does not push in turns. Also there is increased caster.

@brosky the next time i will be on the coast is Turf-n-Surf I'll see you there my friend.

Last edited:
Nose high dose not lend to good handling while towing. No dedicated tow vehicle of any sort is designed to tow nose high, especially that nose high. There is a reason why HD pickups come with so much stank bug.

Nose high dose not lend to good handling while towing. No dedicated tow vehicle of any sort is designed to tow nose high, especially that nose high. There is a reason why HD pickups come with so much stank bug.
@baldilocks Luv U man.. :cool:

It only looks like it's up about 1" in front. :meh:
I will pull it up one more link next time to see how it does... , but if the trailer starts to waggle or sway I'll put it back.
It drives, really great like this.
20190818_042958.png
Till I see you again.
Happy Trails to y'all.
:steer::steer::steer::steer:

Well, it happened...
Its official...
Lexy has made it to the 200K club.

Screenshot_20190819-024531.jpg

20190819_061309.jpg

I thought about doing a tailgate storage a 100 different ways & went with the Poor Boy Budget DIY plywood way.
All 1 piece plywood traced out & a piano hinge, no latches...:steer:
Total cost $8.
Cant complain about that.
I need to line it with some Dynomat I've been told.

20190906_130557.jpg

Nice work. How the transfer case gears work out ?

Nice work. How the transfer case gears work out ?
I was not going to report about those till i got more miles on them, but so far they are doing what the name reads, 10%. 280 rpm jump at 2800 rpm & 300 jump at 3000 rpm. This is what i needed to get at 3000 rpm @ 58 mph ish with my half tread 37s. If i listen very carfuly i hear a very very slight more gear noise due to the straiter angle of the cut on the gear. The great bonus thing i have learned is they do NOT change the speedometer. It is still the 1% over the 488 axle gears give.
So in the end going 488s & 10% gears gives a 536 ratio, a larger pinion & a almost perfect speedo vs. the 529 option.

Last edited:
After much debate with myself... replacment Lseat leather, Okie, Carhartt seat covers i went with the tried & true SOR Tuff Duck seat covers.
Just put them on yesterday... very good quality & fit. These no doubt will last a bery long time. Im glad i went this direction.

20190921_175627.jpg

20190921_175539.jpg

20190921_175550.jpg

Completed tranny line pressure washer mod.
I leaned how to do this from this thread posted by Tools R Us back in 2010.

Screenshot_20190926-095321.png

Screenshot_20190926-094650.png

Last edited:
After much debate with myself... replacment Lseat leather, Okie, Carhartt seat covers i went with the tried & true SOR Tuff Duck seat covers.
Just put them on yesterday... very good quality & fit. These no doubt will last a bery long time. Im glad i went this direction.

View attachment 2088672

View attachment 2088673

View attachment 2088679

I’ve had the same seat covers in grey for a couple years now and I’m very pleased with their quality, fit and durability. They are very tough. Good choice.

How's the shifting feel now?
The shifting is noticeably firmer, a step in the correct direction, but if i were to do it again i would go thicker. The total stack i have in it now is .0925" but i dont know how far one could go. The pan is to much of a pain to keep dropping to play with it. There is a Transco shift kit for $95 on Summit & gasket at Witts End to go with it for $65 if someone wants to go that direction.
Screenshot_20190926-095433.png

Last edited:
Love this build, one of the main reasons I wanted an 80 was for family camping trips (still will be a while as one boy is 2 and the other is in utero!) and love seeing others doing the same!

I've been traveling North from Central California up Abbotsford BC.

My family & I are doing the travel trailer thing. As you might of read the last few posts making upgrades for the trek.

The 488 axle gears along with the SUMO 10% high gear set have been well worth the money spent. Greatest thing about the 10% gears is they do not effect the speedometer. Dont ask my why... ill leave that to the smart people to tell me... something to do with where the speedo picks up.

We have made stops at:
Woodland, CA
20191004_142804.jpg

Redding, CA
Grants Pass, OR
20191004_142547.jpg

SE Portland, OR
20191004_191621.jpg

Gresham, OR
20191005_083949.jpg

Multnomah Waterfalls, OR
Battle Ground, WA (baldilocks secret hide-out)
Seaview, WA
Seaside, OR
Tillamook, OR
20191015_172656.jpg

Then will be headed up to:
Blaine, WA
Abbotsford BC
Then make a quick dash home hitting Crescent City, CA & Redding on the way dow to make it back in time for Turf-N-Surf 2019 at Pismo Oceano the 1st weekend of Nov.

Last edited:
Last edited:

@baldilocks Luv U man.. :cool:

It only looks like it's up about 1" in front. :meh:
I will pull it up one more link next time to see how it does... , but if the trailer starts to waggle or sway I'll put it back.
It drives, really great like this.
20190818_042958.png
Till I see you again.
Happy Trails to y'all.
:steer::steer::steer::steer:

Hows she pull?
How much does the camper weight?
I'll be starting an LS swap on my LX450 (after Christmas due to rod knock) more power and towing will be easy in the mountains of colorado.
The wife and i have been trying to decide what kind of camper to buy (pop up, something like yours, or one of those hybrid campers).

same question, same leftovers (except I used one of the metal gaskets on the left on a coolant pipe)

A TWC is a three-way catalyst, which is the type of catalytic converter that works to oxidize or reduce three of the main gasoline engine pollutants.

The two gaskets on the left appear to be for the air injection pipe, which is not used on '95-'97 model years.

The four gaskets on the right should have been replaced if you disconnected the fuel lines from the fuel injector rail. I think both pairs would only be needed if you take the rail completely loose at both ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom