Builds GW Nugget's Family Haulin Lx450 build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm just having fun with a dream, I call it
~FJ40X~
Screenshot_2015-05-11-14-45-42-1.jpg

The LX overheated on the 7 minute trip home. I got online here and learned about the fan clutch newspaper test. Yes it's a bad, stoped at running temp.
So I guess I should get the landtank moded blue one eh?

Thanks mudders...

The LX overheated on the 7 minute trip home. I got online here and learned about the fan clutch newspaper test. Yes it's a bad, stoped at running temp.
So I guess I should get the landtank moded blue one eh?

Thanks mudders...
Which clutch do you have? You could try to rebuild it.

Hey there retrofive... it's not blue.
Maybe dark grey or dirty black.
Did blue ever come stock?

Hey there retrofive... it's not blue.
Maybe dark grey or dirty black.
Did blue ever come stock?
Yes. If it is black, keep it. If you need something right away sure get a blue one from LT. The black clutches are desirable IMHO.

Remove it. Crack it open, drain fluid, pick up some 15k or whatever CST fluid, refill, and blammo your back in action :)

Lots of threads on "modding" it, and super simple.

Do you really need to heat it up to get the oil out?
It was almost 90° today, I can leave it in the sun.
I did read up here on mud, its got me this far. It's so cool to read stuff from people like ToolsRus from like 2006.

Do you really need to heat it up to get the oil out?
It was almost 90° today, I can leave it in the sun.
I did read up here on mud, its got me this far. It's so cool to read stuff from people like ToolsRus from like 2006.
I didn't. Just left overnight on a hot summer day. Sure probably didn't get it all out, but was able fill back up with most. I used the R/C car fluid from my local hobby store.

I guess the important thing is to measure what comes out & put that same back in.
What could happen if over filled?

I have a non-modded blue hub clutch if you want to try that first. Also can get you the Toyota fluid, but if you want higher, the hobby shop is where to go.

I have a non-modded blue hub clutch if you want to try that first. Also can get you the Toyota fluid, but if you want higher, the hobby shop is where to go.
Thank you for your generosity Don, I will take you up on the offer. I have the day off tomorrow Friday if you are working would you be able to bring it to work? We can do lunch again I'll buy. The stock OEM & Landtank moded are both over $200. & a week away.
I don't want to cheap out or lazy out on this, but I need to get back on the road ASAP. The LX is my DD so I'm driving the wifies' Odyssey...

Last edited:
That is the coolest fix, I am doing that to my passenger seat this weak.
Yes this was done in pure desperation the poor boy way. It has also held up very well. When you get yours done post up some pics, I want to see it.
20141116_173031.jpg

Last edited:
The LX is back up & running. A shout goes out to ToyotaDon. As per previous post Don had a blue 100 series fan clutch on hand. Now I can finish trouble shooting my P0401 EGR restricted problem & rear ball hitch reciver install.
Below is the fan clutches side by side, now I know why the blue one is more desirable, it's a lot bigger for the V8.
20150515_155430.jpg

Forgive me... I was assuming my old fan clutch was stock but it reads made in USA.
Well, I have OEM now.
Thanks Don!

Looking at that picture, I'm not sure your old fan clutch is rebuildable. Glad I could help with the new one. :hillbilly:

It is rivited together, no rebuilding that one.

OK, since last post I took the throttle body back off to verify the EGR to throttle body tube is clear & it's clean & clear. Everything is back together, next is to verify the VSV & modulator works.

I just got back from a friends house who was helping me diagnosis my P0401 & it turns out it's the VSV which a more come failure.
That's the good news.

Also today my friend noticed the ruff idle that I've had then he put on his high end dignostic machine & it threw a P0306 miss fire in #6. We pulled plug #6 then started moter and radiator fluid came shooting out...
Yep, did you guess yet?
A BLOWN HEAD GASKET.
I'm pretty bummed...​

Last edited:
I need some input...

Now that I have the LX in the garage & 1/4 way into the tear down I'm thinking what else should I inspect and or replace while down for HG replacement. (Yes, I have been on mud for about 2 hrs reading up on HG threads) I have not ordered any parts yet because I just want to get everything at the same time. With 173K on the clock besides belts, hoses etc. I should most likely maybe replace timing chain, oil pump, water pump, thermostat etc. Have I missed something? Injectors? I'm just thinking out loud right now... I definitely will be having the head rebuilt if needed.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have the right list of things to do. A lot of people (myself included) have had the injectors serviced like you mentioned. I had them done at RC Engineering, and they came back clean and with a nice report. Head bolts if you use OEM, or ARP head studs if you want to go that route. I ordered a set of studs from Paradise Racing that is supposed to be a custom built set for the 1FZ-FE, I'm going to do a review on them compared to the Supra and Opel sets that people order in my build thread. Hopefully you are luckier than me and your block does not need any service. I would also flush and pressure test, flow test the radiator outside of the vehicle, flush the heater core and replace the rear heater hoses under the truck while you have it all apart.

Sounds like you have the right list of things to do. A lot of people (myself included) have had the injectors serviced like you mentioned. I had them done at RC Engineering, and they came back clean and with a nice report. Head bolts if you use OEM, or ARP head studs if you want to go that route. I ordered a set of studs from Paradise Racing that is supposed to be a custom built set for the 1FZ-FE, I'm going to do a review on them compared to the Supra and Opel sets that people order in my build thread. Hopefully you are luckier than me and your block does not need any service. I would also flush and pressure test, flow test the radiator outside of the vehicle, flush the heater core and replace the rear heater hoses under the truck while you have it all apart.
You have a lot of good input there, your right on every acount. It's all good stuff...I'm kind of all over the board here... I'm having a war with myself on how far to go into this. What is need vs. want, I need to find a happy medium some where. It's hard because I don't know the maintenance history of this LX & want to replace everything. A lot of it looks real good again "looks good" who knows... Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom