Builds GW Nugget's Family Haulin Lx450 build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The problem is moving the axle 1” forward for a 2” lift (or a 5” lift for that matter). The math doesn’t work.

Just seeing this - I'll have my wife's 80 on the rack this weekend; I'll pull fresh measurements and work it up in CAD again to show the arcs and relative tire positions at full bump - which is my primary concern (aside from not increasing anti-dive.)

1" under its own weight, another .5" while like jumps or whoops. Zip ties don't lie. This has been documented... I'll post a pic when I find it.
20200128_132451.png

Screenshot_20200128-124801.png

Last edited:
ok, I hope this makes sense:

first, here's the stock axle arc (at stock ride height, at the bump stop, and fully compressed - using the 1.5" data above). 298mm is the ground clearance to the bottom of the factory pivot mount on stock-sized (tiny) tires, btw...

stock96.png

and here's the 50mm down/25mm forward bracket overlaid on that graphic - to show the new axle arc. as before, the circles represent the axle at ride height (assuming a 50mm lift), at the bump stop, and fully compressing the bump. the relative ground clearance to the bottom of the pivot mount hasn't substantively changed. (298 vs. 303 without changing the tire diameter)

50mm-25mm.png

and here's a close up of the actual axle shift in the wheel well (or away from the firewall) - again, at ride height, at the bump stop, and under full compression:

closeup.png

at ride height, the axle is shifted 25mm forward (I like aggressive approach angles). at full bump, the axle is just 16mm forward - I'm assuming everyone is running a larger diameter tire if they're getting full compression on the bump stops, right? (why not have a little extra room)

so, I could have cheated it back about 1/2 inch, but I wanted room for tire diameter growth. 🤷 likewise, since the axle is already arcing rearward as it gets higher than the pivot, dropping the rear mount straight down would create a situation where the axle would be closer to the firewall at full bump - not ideal, IMO.

- and this is irrespective of the climbing behavior of lots of antidive, which this type of suspension has already, stock. I'm weird about unloading the front end when headed north...

Great work. In the real world to run a 37" tire without cutting up fenders you are going to lower the bump stop 2" minimum or more.
So most people are not going to run a 2" lift either, most likely will be a 2.5" to 4" of lift. So the pulling back to the firewall will be minimized by the lowered bump stop.
I am the exception because of the 1" body lift.
So 2" down, 1" forward with a 2" bump stop will arc like stock.

Great work. In the real world to run a 37" tire with out cutting you are going to lower the bump stop 2" minimum or more.
So most people are not going to run a 2" lift either, most likely will be a 2.5" to 4" of lift. So the pulling back to the firewall will be minimized by the lowered bump stop.
I am the exception because of the 1" body lift.
So 2" down, 1" forward with a 2" bump stop will arc like stock.

well, stockish with more room, really. I'm with you, BTW - capitalize on what the factory engineered supsension does well, and lift the body an inch for more room for uptravel with larger diameter tires. (this also keeps the drivetrain/frame weight a bit lower than lifting the extra inch)

The problem is moving the axle 1” forward for a 2” lift (or a 5” lift for that matter). The math doesn’t work.
I think most people are moving the axle forward to fit large tires ( over 37s ) and clear the fire wall with out a 5 to 6" lift, including me 39s and Gary 38s
I'm not sure whats going on with Gary"s springs.
Hears a pictures with the same C97-146VTs with my axle moved forward 11/8" to clear 39s on a low lift 🤷‍♂️ and yes the springs have been painted black.
1626183729382.png

For me this set up works well !

Last edited:
Gary in post 823 second pik. I see what looks to be over a inch of spacers are you still running all those spacers ?
If so what is the measurement hooking to top of the spring tower to the spring bucket ? like in this picture, you can see I'm right at 16"
1626184254642.png

I suspect you are at the same or more ?
Sorry I'm a little late to the game with these posts.

I think most people are moving the axle forward to fit large tires ( over 37s ) and clear the fire wall with out a 5 to 6" lift, including me 39s and Gary 38s
I'm not sure whats going on with Gary"s springs.
Hears a pictures with the same C97-146VTs with my axle moved forward 11/8" to clear 39s on a low lift 🤷‍♂️ and yes the springs have been painted black.
View attachment 2729921
For me this set up works well !
Castor angle adjustment no doubt plays a part in how straight the spring appears to be when installed. Running 37’s and up will require fender adjustments of some type no matter what especially on a 2”-3” lift unless the rig is a mall crawler only.

Castor angle adjustment no doubt plays a part in how straight the spring appears to be when installed. Running 37’s and up will require fender adjustments of some type no matter what especially on a 2”-3” lift unless the rig is a mall crawler only.
finders yes firewall no.

BFH🔨 fixes firewall issues :wtf:
Are you calling the aft portion of the fender well the fire wall? Modding the fire wall should not be necessary. Start that kind of nonsense and you might as well build a buggy.

Geez, I am regretting posting up that banana picture.
It is a very isolated perfect storm self inflicted situation.
It will be corrected with more caster.
Broski has correction for 4" of lift & has a 3" lift. Guessing caster numbers are close to 5* degress.
To answer Broski measurement question, my 146VT coil would sit about 15.25" with "all those spacers"
The red ones sit at 14.75"
These measurements are skewed because we have different caster angles. So saying I have 1.25" less lift can be a wrong assumption.

Both our 146VT coils give a huge difference in lift height. Mine 1.5" & yours 3"
20210713_202433.jpg

20210713_202445.jpg

Last edited:
Well way back in post #55 of this thread I made mention of my love for the orange bead lock rings... Well, I finally made the time to make it happen during this last tire swap.
1626241345022.png

So here is the latest poser shots...
20210713_191752.jpg

20210713_192250.jpg

Screenshot_20210713-194530.jpg

Each pic gives a different color, so here is a better show of color.
20210711_190433.jpg

Last edited:
Those are my Battleborn Beadlocks I've had for a few years now. I Just rattle can painted them. 17x9" 3.5" BS. Got them for $199 on 4th of July sale. Im very happy with them.

Gary I like the way the new tire wheel combo looks, the narrow tread of the mud hogs is a sweet look and and the color on the the bead lock ring is a nice detail.
I'm sure you picked up some performance with the new tires!!

Yeah, I went a little to far with the 38s.
As you & baldilocks & many others have said 37s are the sweet spot for a 80 series.

Yeah, I went a little to far with the 38s.
As you & baldilocks & many others have said 37s are the sweet spot for a 80 series.
Unless it's built to crawl, Ha ha
But ya ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom