Gutting a smog pump w/ pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Older trucks meaning not fj60’s?
Yes, mid and late 70's because they didn't have a whole lot of emissions stuff to begin with, so deleting the emissions didn't have a huge effect on their performance.

Yes, mid and late 70's because they didn't have a whole lot of emissions stuff to begin with, so deleting the emissions didn't have a huge effect on their performance.
Thanks Stumpalama for all your input. Now to decide what to do. Is it possible to save this seized up pump? It’s actually only less than a year old, and seized up already. 🤨 🤔

Can you run a 2F with a devaned SP without desmogging?

Yes, no problem. The air pump adds air to the exhaust, after it exits the combustion chamber. Unlike EGR or HAC, it has no effect on how the engine runs.

Could I still use the original carb and distributor if I desmog motor?

Yes, though they would both work better with a fresh rebuild to remove old dirt & replace wear parts. That's the case with any 35 year old engine management system.

Is it possible to save this seized up pump? It’s actually only less than a year old, and seized up already.
Saving it as an air pump is likely not possible, because it has barfed a vane. But if the rotor is not bent, then it can be gutted as an idler.

Yes, no problem. The air pump adds air to the exhaust, after it exits the combustion chamber. Unlike EGR or HAC, it has no effect on how the engine runs.

Yes, though they would both work better with a fresh rebuild to remove old dirt & replace wear parts. That's the case with any 35 year old engine management system.

Saving it as an air pump is likely not possible, because it has barfed a vane. But if the rotor is not bent, then it can be gutted as an idler.
fj40Jim, thank you for your wisdom in this matter. Those were the words I needed to hear. I will try and devane SP, carb is new already, and distributor is original so I’ll rebuild it or look to get a new one. This sounds like it will do the trick and get me to my full rebuild in the Spring. 🤙🏻

Thanks again fj40Jim for your expertise. SP gutted and cruiser back on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom