Builds Guppie's FJ55 Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
Ok, so decided to start a thread on my new build. I have been into landcruisers for awhile and own a 73 fj40 which has been worked on since I was 17 and bought it (now 33). I have learned alot building it and hope to use some of this knowledge on this new project.

I have always admired the "Pigs", so I decided to find one and build it up. I was fortunate enough to find a very clean 1970 FJ55 out of Arizona. It was a guys project that he had basically taken apart, bought a bunch of parts for (several years worth) and then decided not to build it up. The deal worked out well as it included all the original weatherstripping (oem) and a boatload of other parts, original and aftermarket. So far, I have very little into the project, so this is a good start.

THE PLANS: I plan to keep it toyota. Not a complete specific restoration yet a rebuild with all new parts and some modern upgrades, but fairly close to stock. It will have a 2F stock drivetrain, 2.5 inch ironman lift (already have), stock diffs, PS (minitruck), all terrain bfg tires, Front axle disc (minitruck), Rear chevy discs, original interior with herculined floor (maybe?), bench seats redone to factory specs, what else?, probably forgot something.....

THE USAGE: This is basically a toy and will not be an offroad vehicle. It is not a daily driver and I already have a DD and an FJ40 wheeler. Some minor offroading in the desert with the family (middle willows/anza borrego is my favorite) but beyond that 95% street and to the beach, store, desert, julian trips, etc.

I plan to take my time on this one as there really is no rush. In the past it seems I have always had a reason to RUSH. NOT HERE! For once, I want to enjoy the "journey". That means taking one chunk at a time and walking away for awhile when I need to. I plan to try to do everything in house in my 2 car garage. The only thing that is up in the air now is whether i will do the paint and body work myself. I am leaning towards "yes" as I think it would be a good skill to have for future builds and I would really like to make this a full time hobby restoring vehicles. Plus, in the long run the skill should save me a buttload of $$. I also don't need perfect paint as the truck will be used and not just sit in a garage.

So that's about it for now, I will update this post every so often. If you have any questions, ask away. I know most of the talk here is for the FJ40's but I think we need a little more "pork" in this forum, plus it's the "other white meat".

Here's a pic of what I started with, basically a shell and a pile of parts. The dash area was a pain to take apart and the body bolts and steering linkage was even more fun. 100+ heat in the garage and I am sitting there with a torch and a BFH and some PBblaster, lots of fun!

Noah
FJ5506.jpg

Last edited:
some more pics, after the teardown and the marking of the spots on the body (green paint) that need some work. I went over the whole body last weekend and was happy to find that on ly a few areas had bad rust, the rest of the upper areas of the body are nice and already have had a bunch of body work done. Some bondo, but not bad, not thick, just to smooth out some dents and the metal is good underneath. It seems that the previous owner sent the body out to be worked on before it came to me.

Noah
sandblast001-1.jpg
DSC01625.jpg
sandblast004.jpg

Good to see another project being started. Keep the pics coming, but you already know that.

I agree with the taking of your time for this, kinda wished i had slowed down a bit on mine. But it was a good time, for the most part, just not the sanding.

Alright!!!! Can't wait to watch your FJ55 build.

OINK,

Brian

I'll be watching this threading wishing I had the room (and the Pig) to do a similar build up.

I have to agree I love the keeping it all Toyota. That's what makes a Pig a Pig.

Thanks Guys! Yeah, I am excited about it. I have to do it on a budget, yeah right, :) but it should be fun. I actually feel like a king having a garage and tools. The FJ40 got rebuilt on a slab of concrete, outside, in my apartment parking space. Nothin like a notice from the city that they are gonna tow your junk to get you motivated. Think outside at 3am with floodlights every night working on the cruiser, that sucked, but I was happy with the way it came out. Much nicer to have a garage to do this one though. Not much progress lately, I am a wimp, but it is just too damn hot, and like I said I want to enjoy this build, that means no working on it in a garage that is *110 plus. Anyhow, will post up when I tear into it some more, will probably be another month. Next step will be to power wash it and remove the body from the frame, then frame cleanup and mount rebuilt axles and new suspension kit.

Some pics below of the FJ40 rebuild on theat forementioned slab of concrete, my neighbors loved me! :) screw em.

** PS - for those guys interested in possible metaltech FJ55 rollbar kits see my post in the 55 restoration section! I plan to post it up later today.

Noah

Last edited:
made a little progress / not much

thankfully I was able to get some friends over today to help pull the body off of the project and onto some stands. Powerwashed everything, including the frame. Next step will be to clean up the frame, paint, redo axles and hang the axles and new supsension. To my surprise, everything fit nicely in the garage with plenty of room to maneuver.

Noah
body off frame004.JPG
body off frame002.JPG
body off frame001.JPG

Great Project, congrats.
I plan to do a pig also but I am worried about availability of parts specially body parts, I see your is very clean, but do you thing there will be body parts around if needed?
Also why is this called a pig?

Panama-fj40 said:
Great Project, congrats.
I plan to do a pig also but I am worried about availability of parts specially body parts, I see your is very clean, but do you thing there will be body parts around if needed?
Also why is this called a pig?

Thanks for the post, they are called pigs from what i know because they are heavy and ugly, I think they are awesome looking though. Yes, parts are hard to find, especially body panels. They are around though. Got the frame all cleaned up and will be painting it this weekend. Will post up some pics soon.

Noah

1973Guppie said:
Thanks for the post, they are called pigs from what i know because they are heavy and ugly, I think they are awesome looking though. Noah

not to hijack, but to provide some context to this wonderful build:

Why "Iron Pig"?
"Picture a long, wide mud pit... you know what I'm talking about. The kind of pit filled with stinky, black, chunky mud the consistency of a thick stew... the smell of rotting vegetation is in the air, horseflies and dragonflies buzz overhead, and an old swaybacked cow chews its cud contentedly at the edge of the water, swinging its tail slowly as the morning dew dissipates and the sun dries a thin layer of the mud, deceiving you, beckoning...
"In the middle of this long, wide mud pit, wallowing contentedly, is a rare beast. Its weight draws it deeper into the mud, but somehow it is still moving, slowly, ever so slowly... its form hints at its strength, yet it moves with a certain grace that seems impossible for its bulk... nothing about this beast is delicate, and yet it possesses a strange beauty, a sense of timeless appeal.... you feel slightly repulsed, yet strangely attracted... you can sense its feral nature, its danger, but you can tell that this beast is somehow noble, a true master of its environment...
"Is it a wild boar, or a Cape buffalo? Perhaps a scarred old African bull elephant?...
No, the noble beast that has captivated your attention and perhaps your heart is a Toyota Land Cruiser FJ55, and now you know why those who of us in the know, those of an enlightened nature, those of us who believe call it an "Iron Pig". It is a sign of respect, of admiration, a fitting tribute...
By Henry Cubillan

Sweet build of another Iron Pig!

Umm can we add this quote to the FAQ for future reference?
Wayneraintree said:
not to hijack, but to provide some context to this wonderful build:

Why "Iron Pig"?
"Picture a long, wide mud pit... you know what I'm talking about. The kind of pit filled with stinky, black, chunky mud the consistency of a thick stew... the smell of rotting vegetation is in the air, horseflies and dragonflies buzz overhead, and an old swaybacked cow chews its cud contentedly at the edge of the water, swinging its tail slowly as the morning dew dissipates and the sun dries a thin layer of the mud, deceiving you, beckoning...
"In the middle of this long, wide mud pit, wallowing contentedly, is a rare beast. Its weight draws it deeper into the mud, but somehow it is still moving, slowly, ever so slowly... its form hints at its strength, yet it moves with a certain grace that seems impossible for its bulk... nothing about this beast is delicate, and yet it possesses a strange beauty, a sense of timeless appeal.... you feel slightly repulsed, yet strangely attracted... you can sense its feral nature, its danger, but you can tell that this beast is somehow noble, a true master of its environment...
"Is it a wild boar, or a Cape buffalo? Perhaps a scarred old African bull elephant?...
No, the noble beast that has captivated your attention and perhaps your heart is a Toyota Land Cruiser FJ55, and now you know why those who of us in the know, those of an enlightened nature, those of us who believe call it an "Iron Pig". It is a sign of respect, of admiration, a fitting tribute...
By Henry Cubillan

Sweet build of another Iron Pig!

painting the frame today, got to get the F out there in the garage! Using zerorust paint. finished stripping the frame yesterday, wet sand, tsp, prep step, in that order, came out fairly clean. Was going to shoot it with the new gun I got from harbor freight but think I will just use a paintbrush. Project is going slow, but oh well, gonna take my time like I said. Will update soon once I have a painted frame and rolling chasis. thanks for the comments.

and that pig explanation is just awesome.

Noah

Always a soft spot for a FJ55, you never see those rigs up here....

That is one clean ass starting point, nice body.

Do you think that was the original colour??

Rob

1973Guppie said:
Some final pics of where I am at now. I am going to purchase a pressure washer this week and clean it up before having some friends (hopefully) help pull the cab this Sunday.....

:)

Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom