gun thread....

brian

SILVER Star

thinking about turning to the darkside.
here alate the thoughts of ak's have been running amuck. that and it's been awhile(acouple weeks) since the last purchase.

and i need something SUPER cheap to shoot. can't hardly beat 1200rds for 130ish bucks. i'm paying 100bucks for 400rds of 3006.
so i think i'm going to biuld an ak47. can pick up a parts kit for 100 bucks or so and a semi receiver flat plan for pretty cheap.

it'll still be .30 cal sorta, 7.62x39 really.

it's based on a ww2 weapon, so i'm not stepping to far out of line.

it's either the ak47 or a k98, and i'm not a really a bolt guy. probably end up with a '98 at some point any how.

i'm sorry but ar's do nothing for me, i've shoot a few. i have a .22 my old man gave me, don't need another.

I hate Ak's. That being said, there is nothing really mechanically wrong with them.

Personally I would go with a Russian SKS. Its not a bolt, it shoots the aforementioned ammo, and it fits your timeline. Its also more of a "rifle" than a spray and pray weapon. They fire smoother than an Ak, IMO look better, and are more accurate.

If you are set on an AK, I hear that Arsenal Inc. is the way to go. They are supposed to be the "nicest" AK. Stick to steel magazines, which are cheap enough anyway and clean it well after each outing. The disassembly is very simple.

brian

SILVER Star

i was thinking about an sks, shooting buddy has either a yugo or rusky, fine weapon.
they can be had for dirt cheap, i think the local shop even has a few.

one of my reasonings for an ak.
i was looking for another home build.
i built my belt fed from a parts kit. and it's possible to do the same with an ak.
romanian parts kits are going for 1bill. the romes are some of the better ones, short of the milled russians.

home building adds a uniqueness to it, that really cant' be bought.

dieseldog

She idles just fine . . .
GOLD Star

SKS is dirt simple rifle, cheap, available. Ammo is readily available as you know. That'd be the way I'd go. AK's are everywhere throughout the world for good reason: they work and do so without any attention or much cleaning. Great third world weapon. I just happen to prefer the SKS--and there are MANY ways to home customize an SKS as well.

My first rifle purchase will be an AK-47, most likely Romanian.
I think it's the assault rifle Toyota would have built if Toyota built assault rifles.
It just works.

Yes they can be built at home. They take more skills and tools than an Ar style weapon or some of the others. There is a little more to it. You can find websites to help you, but I would stick to a premade weapon.

brian

SILVER Star

skyshark186 said:
Yes they can be built at home. They take more skills and tools than an Ar style weapon or some of the others. There is a little more to it. You can find websites to help you, but I would stick to a premade weapon.
i work in a weld shop........

Mine is fun as heck. A friend bought an AK and an AR. He almost always just ends up shooting the AK. Neither of us hunt or rob banks or use them for anything other than fun.

It just works.

I have the Norinco version of the AK (mak 90) and it's been a fine gun. Shocked at how well it shoots to be honest. For me, stupid as it sounds I'm just a .22 plinker kinda guy and the AK bores me. Yeah yeah, bang bang bang... I don't know, it's fun to let 40 rounds go in 10 seconds and it is cheap. If I had to be stuck alone for life in this world with all the ammo I could shoot and one gun it would be an SKS though. Great round, excellent peice of s*** gun! $79 SKS won't jam after 10,000 rounds and no cleaning but run 100 rounds through one of my M16s and the damn things worthless!

Folks .. when we talk of "spraying" and "so many rounds a second" they will have to be class3 with a registered sear or a registered reciever, ofcourse, unless you are somthing like a CLEO or a C3 dealer.

The market price for a "spraying" AK is currently well over $10K !! with that being said it is a gun without which all collections are incomplete - period. Ofcourse I mean the semi-auto that is.

My true love is with the HK's.. Anyone here into them ??? I have rented a place in REno to put up my stuff as I cannot have it here in this commie Cali.. Sucks big time..

Folks .. when we talk of "spraying" and "so many rounds a second" they will have to be class3 with a registered sear or a registered reciever, ofcourse, unless you are somthing like a CLEO or a C3 dealer.
Yeah, I don't know about this, when I get empty a 40 round clip from my AK in under 10 seconds using just my finger pulling the trigger really fast I would call this spraying although I don't know how much quicker a full auto could do it in.

Sorry to hear you're in CA, amazing, we're so close and yet so far apart when it comes to gun laws.

With my older age I'm a Single action and .22 fan now...

tcb

definately an HK guy here. their weapons are beautiful, but cost more than my cruiser. more of a sig fan for pistolas, but you just can't beat an HK long rifle if you have an extra 2grr to spend.

But as to the talk above. I own or have owned AR's, SKS, AK's, but my favorite affordable "Assault" rifle is a Ruger Mini-14. Accurate, straight foward and won't jam up if you get a grain of sand in it, ala the AR. Of course if you prefer the 7.62mm, go with the Mini-30.

All you AR haters got differentguns than mine I beat the holy crap out of it, fill it with sand, drop it in dirt, and it doesnt ever misfire. Going on 6k rounds. Boom boom boom.

And there are many many ways to dump roundsthrough a weapon with no full auto. And the current market for a full auto ak is more in the area of 7500, since im picking hairs anyway.

If it goes boom its better than nothing.

brian

SILVER Star

tcb said:
, but my favorite affordable "Assault" rifle is a Ruger Mini-14. Of course if you prefer the 7.62mm, go with the Mini-30.

the only "mini" I *get* will be a mini-gun.

Top Bottom