Gun racks in 40’s, anyone have one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bcsteel

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking to install a small gun rack in my 42 and need some ideas. Anyone have any? Thx guys.

Here is something from the 60 section.

FF737BC7-897D-4620-AAEE-68007685238C.jpeg

you'll have click the image file names below to see other ideas

If I remember correctly this gun rack is called "sky bar" and is available through Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop. It was offered in a single or double firearm setup. I fabricated the mounts that anchor the unit over the door opening. ..........1978HJ45
View attachment 421396View attachment 421397View attachment 421398
Big Sky Rack installed

Picked up a Big Sky Rack (single gun) and installed it today. I installed it behind the front seats, but forward enough that it doesn't interfere (too much) with anyone sitting in rear side bench seats (only one that actually sits there is my dog anyhow!). I installed it there so it wouldn't interfere with visors, plus if I add another gun I'd have room. Installation was fairly straightforward, it includes the mounting hardware. A few notes for those interested:

1) If mounted in front of the roof pillars, you'll have to shim the mounting flanges (or possibly bend them) as the roof converges going forward so the angle is not 90-deg at the mount. Not sure what this would take as this is not the area I mounted it.
2) Mounting it aft of the roof pillars (which is what I did) forces the extension to exceed the point where the retaining screw holds the extension in place (to prevent rattles). It left about 4 inches of insertion where the retaining screw is probably around 8 inches. I just drilled through both tubes (in two places, one on top and one side) and installed small bolts which makes the install rigid. Test drive through cattle pasture ensured it was solid.
3) Plenty of clearance above the rack/gun where I installed it, in fact I wish I could have it a bit higher but I also have plenty of clearance for my/passengers heads (it's slightly behind anyhow). Easy to access gun, and the install was rigid. We'll see after a few hundred bouncy miles. I'm going to keep a watch on the self-tapping mounting screws, if they loosen up it will be easy to use bolts where I mounted it.
View attachment 424893View attachment 424894View attachment 424895
I use my rig for hunting, and needed a way to carry scoped rifles securely yet keep them handy. I ordered a set of ATV gun rack mounts on-line ( I don't remember where or what brand ) and used them to build this with ordinary pipe. The only points of attachment are the seat mounts (not stock in my rig) and the roll bar. These gun mounts were designed to be used horizontally, but work very well for me. The buttstock of the rifles rests on the lower horizontal bar, and the guns are put in "scopes rearward". These mounts have "fingers" inside the cradles and absolutely hold the guns steady without banging them around, even on rough terrain.
View attachment 575625View attachment 575626
View attachment 2025499

Before we cleaned her up.
I did this and have used it on several hunts
Works fantastic
View attachment 2025628

View attachment 2025627

I had a Big Sky (1 gun), in the ceiling, above the dash. I mounted a 1’ length of 1.5” angle aluminum above each door. Laid the rack onto the angle and bolted it down. I drilled extra holes to make it tight.

Nary a sound from the rack.

The rack had three mount-points, the middle point had a Velcro-fastened strap, with a metal D-ring. I snugged it down and nary a rattle or a concern of my AR or Remington Express falling

I found myself leaving 44 too much to leave a weapon exposed, so I removed it and mounted it in my trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom