1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gun Haters, Sorry guys but..............

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by flintknapper, Aug 15, 2005.

1. flintknapper

flintknapper

A few more people have changed their minds.

A young lady that attends our church just graduated from the local university here.

She is from the island of Nevis in the West Indies and 32 members of her family/relatives had flown in to attend her graduation and to celebrate the event.

A couple of weeks ago she asked me if she could bring her family out to the ranch to learn how to "skeet shoot"... and possibly look at some pistol basics.

I told her I would be pleased to accommodate them and that I would provide lunch as well.

The group ranged in age from 8 yrs. old to about 60...with most being in their in mid to late 20's. None had ever handled a firearm of any type... but were most eager to participate (with the exception of two).

Two of the ladies indicated that they did not want to shoot...and one of them flatly stated that she did not like guns but would remain with the family as a spectator. I told her with all sincerity that I respected her position and that if at any time she should change her mind and wish to join us....to please let me know.

I'm pretty hardline when it comes to gun safety...and after laying down the law and demonstrating some of the basics we began shooting. About an hour into the skeet shoot during a "water break" both of the ladies that expressed "reservations" approached me and said they would "give it a try".

Before starting, I told both of them privately...that it was not my intention to try to sway their beliefs about guns, gun owners, or the use of guns for either good or bad. I told both.. that I would provide the firearms, the ammo, the instruction, and my friendship...and let them decide at the end of the day how the recreational use of firearms fits into their thinking.

On their Island.. it is illegal to own a firearm unless you own a business, can prove you have a need, and become licensed first. I was not surprised to see the young men in the group readily accept an invitation to shoot, but even for them...I believe it remained more a "novelty" than anything else. However, in the case of the one woman...(she told me before leaving) she changed her mind about what she thought guns "and the people that use them" were all about.

For me....this made it all worthwhile. No, she is not a "gun advocate" now by any means....and I wouldn't want her to be (based on one experience). I was proud to see her display intellectual honesty, and put aside preconceived notions though.

I'm certain that some here are going to point out the "bad things" that some people choose to do with firearms. Well, I am well aware of those too...so I can spare you the trouble.

But, if you look across America...I think you'll find the vast majority of firearms owners using them legally and responsibly (without the need for over 22,000 gun laws).

Anyway.....all went well here, and all had an enjoyable time. Just thought I'd share this, and take a good natured jab at some of the anti's.

Cheers guys!

2. dclee

dclee

Are there any antis on this forum? Seems like Cruisers and guns are a match made in Heaven! :cheers:

Seriously, good call on the gun safety. It's important to smash people's myths and perceptions of _responsible_ firearms ownership. Most people who are anti, I've found, have simply never tried it or been in a stituation where they needed it. They just blindly believe what they observe from the biased media in this country, so they never see the other side. We need to show them the other side as often as we can!

3. Fireman

Fireman SILVER Star

4. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry Derek and Flint...me no like guns...though I don't mind that others have them...they're just not for me...I guess I'm not anti...just complacent about them. :flipoff2:

5. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

I suffer from small arms envy ... :D

6. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    you asked....i hate guns.

7. flintknapper

flintknapper

If you really want "small arms" you'll have to stop working out..or get really sick for awhile.

8. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    i hate guns....

they make me spend money on them... :)...
    sorry bastards..

9. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

Great personal experience Flint.

I would have to agree once again with Noah on this one.

I've always found it comical and very sad that one of California's biggest gun opponents Diane Feinstein had a CCW & carried a concealed weapon with her during her time as both a city Supervisor & as mayor of San Francisco. Of course during the entire time she was always pushing hard for more gun laws.
    I can't see why she would have had need for a CCW since SFPD provided her with 24hr security and her own personal chauffer & car. I mean the SLA and Black Panthers were pretty much said and done by the late 70's, so what did she have to fear?

I fully respect others views & beliefs & would never try to change them in an effort to "show them the light" or "it's my way or the highway."

The way Flint handled it was beautiful and he should be commended.

10. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    in the words of Junk "here is your f***en cookie"

11. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't mind guns, but I advocate their restriction, and hate gun nuts.

Sounds like a nice day. I spent some time in St. Kitts (as in St. Kitts & Nevis) trapping monkies for McGill university's research centre down there... Great place.

12. freightdog

freightdog

I love huntin -

Love guns -

wish I had the money to collect guns and cruisers...

13. PUPTLAM

PUPTLAM

Media:
    Albums:
    By no means a gun freak here. I think they are fun to target shoot and that responsible people should go nuts with them.
    Urban teens should not have guns. Drunk people should not have guns, I live by this one!
    I actually own a 12 ga. but have only shot it a few times. Its home protection.
    If people would use guns for sport and protection instead as an extention of their manhood, We could get rid of about 21,999 gun laws. Just my 2 cents.

14. mabrodis

mabrodis

It is fun to teach people about guns and the right way to handle and shoot...then people realize a properly owned gun is about as dangerous as a garden rake...actually less, a gun won't flip up and wack you... :D

15. Hossdog

Hossdog

Some of my fondest memories have been with a gun in hand. Just sittin' under a tree watching the sun rise in the Rockies with my boyz......enjoying nature and comraderie. Guess wheelin' is the closest thing to that....maybe we have something in common with gun haters. I mean, I hate Birkenstocks, tie-dye and VW's......we square?

16. Hossdog

Hossdog

Some of my fondest memories have been with a gun in hand. Just sittin' under a tree watching the sun rise in the Rockies with my boyz......enjoying nature and comraderie. Guess wheelin' is the closest thing to that....maybe we have something in common with gun haters. I mean, I hate Birkenstocks, tie-dye and VW's......we square? :flipoff2:

17. SizzleChest

SizzleChest

I have no use for guns, kinda like Fords.

18. Shahram

Shahram I ain't got herpes no more.

All the greatest examples of "liberal" revolution have come as the result of insurrectional violence. Why don't American liberals understand that? My advice to liberals is this: Buy a gun. Learn how to use it. Then grow some balls and when the time comes, be ready to pull the trigger. I'd respect a liberal movement that said, "Pot is gonna be legal....or we're gonna f***in' shoot some people, then smoke some pot."

When it comes to "liberals", I'll take Che over Michael Moore any day.

19. Stone

Stone Moderator

I like some guns. :D

[​IMG]

20. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh... so thats how you got rid of the mother in law Stoney?!?!