Gull-wing aka lift-up side cargo window replacements (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here in Oz a few places seem to make gull-wing lift-up replacement opening panels to fit in place of the fixed or sliding side cargo windows - Emu Wing, Cruiser Company, and perhaps one other I can't remember.

Emu Wing is available in both metal and glass versions. They are about A$1500 for a pair of metal ones, and about A$1900 for a pair of glass ones.

Cruiser Company ones are only available in metal and cost about $1000 for a pair.

Both company's metal versions are available in powder-coated black only. Given that around (or possibly more) than 50 percent of 80's are white (Toyota colour 045) it would be awesome to have them available in white too which would be helpful for heat rejection.

Out of interest, how easy or difficult is it to 're-paint' a black powder-coated aluminium panel to make it white?

For comparison, Yodateq in the USA makes these:

Last edited:
They may be able to paint white for you, or ship unpainted.

There are also cheaper alternatives

$435 shipped

II can make these in white acrylic.

Not in stock for awhile

The design of the Cruiser Co vs Emu Wing ones is quite different. No 'molle' panels but that's not a necessity.

I haven't seen an 80 in person that has either of the types fitted but I'm angling towards Cruiser Co ones.

Last edited:
A few people have privately suggested the Yodateq gullwings, though I note on their site it says 'The yodaTEQ Gull Wing Hatch System installs utilizing your existing Toyota Factory Rubber Window weatherstrip, aluminum frame and internal run channel'. So does that mean they cannot be fitted to 80's without the sliding (opening) factory cargo side windows like a DX/pov-pack that has fixed glass and a rubber strip seal with no other parts?

They're also a lot pricier - US$1575 for a left/right pair that works out to around $2500 to $3000 here once currency conversion and freight are included.

But I do note they use a triple hinge at the top not a double hinge or a piano type hinge.

Anyone in Oz have experience with fitting any of the imported (not made in Oz) gullwings to their 80?

After some extensive cross-referencing and watching plenty of u chewb vids I've pretty much settled on the Emu Wing gull-wings (solid metal not glass) as my choice because they require no drilling or metal bodywork modification (except for addressing all the rust / etc. when existing windows get removed), and are made in Australia therefore there isn't an excessive freight plus customs duty slug which there would be to import a set of the Yotateq ones.

Also I don't have sliding cargo windows on my 80 and the Yotateq ones require those to re-use the frames.

Now to acquire the $$$ necessary. :cool:

The only concern I have is that dealing with the rust around the openings when existsing fixed glass windows come out could become a nightmare, but there some good auto body shops very close-by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom