Guess the motor / is it a big problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey ya'll,

can any of you guess which motor of a 60/61/62 Land Cruiser it is? Any information on the model? Think it doesn't have a turbo, seller said it is a 3.5 Diesel 6 cylinder, 5 speed manual transmission. But I've never heard of a 3.5 Diesel in a 60/61/62. Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the motor from above yet.

Is the oil leak a big problem or just a common thing to fix? Reads 155000km, but don't believe it.

motor.jpg

Looks like a 2H to me. 4000cc 6cyl, oilpan skidpate is not standard (?)
They used gasket sealer something, I would not trust it to much when body has rust and engine ok they fix the body, if engine is bad and body oke they fix the engine.

So the part out scenario is not always realistic, if this has bad engine and bad body both are sold as good. The chassis looks nice but the front is mostly far better than rear.
If they have compression numbers?, maybe, but any 2H can sell within a few hundred km, here they are about 2000 euro now.
The leak can also come from front above waterpump, don't know how that is called but next to injector pump is a nasty thing to replace (but if it is out of the engine bay maybe a bit easier (special tools, force, timing, fan)

here is a 2H with 250k ≥ 2H motor toyota landcruiser HJ60 - Motor en Toebehoren - Marktplaats.nl - https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/auto-onderdelen/motor-en-toebehoren/m1646934767-2h-motor-toyota-landcruiser-hj60.html?previousPage=lr

the relief valve is visible:

2_6bbe94272584678bb8a4cb76ff668add.jpg

Maybe the copper seal is leaking:

2_72379d3df671d9cae51f5e446df903e3.jpg

Seal behind this pulley is not easy:
2_0fb9e8a8e2c823000137144db664828a.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I would not trust that pan with that much sealant on it. Mike

Ask the seller to provide you a clear close up picture of the firewall tag including the vin. With the tag #s you should be able to determine the original engine, model, transmission, paint color, trim package etc.
Ask the seller for more pictures of the engine. Can't tell a lot from looking at an oil pan.
Ask the seller what has been modified on the vehicle ..for example... a different engine installed.

Thank you guys for your replies. That already helped a lot. Body seems to be in good shape, tranny as well, steering is a little loose, brakes work just fine, but pedal is a little loose as well. I just received a photo from the seller showing the motor.
Parts changed are the starter motor and some hydraulic reservoir can, nothing special. Seller claims it to be a 3.5 Diesel with 6 cylinders and a 5 speed manual transmission. Original Toyota engine according to seller.

I have never heard of a 3.5 in a 61/62 (has the square headlights). It is a blue 1984 Land Cruiser.

motortoyota.jpg

this is 2H, the hydrolic fluid for power steering is on top of fuel filter (should be below)
Steering has 4 cm play new from factory, there is a spring in the steering system and 5 tie rods (always replace, dangerous to trust)

If the oilpan is leaking because it is not straight (in line, flat!) anymore: those are very expensive to replace.

2_2d6e03d3f804eda854256781f2d41eb8.jpg

left side behind air filter is the hydrolic fluid, also with a T sign cap like your picture.
2_64d107ce4962df37f3fd9460e2132e24.jpg

2_ca1e467351157bd4fadd595a102a2c6c.jpg

But the thermostat hoses (radiator) are different, maybe for the air conditioning compressor, as long as thermostat hot out goes top radiator in. (I think)
74.8 degrees celcius, warm engine:
2_4d6388b10625df208178295ee5320f62.jpg

this is a almost new 2H
2_5d0eef403a3befcc7fcd480c232088bf.jpg

2_174a62f130f8edaea73f6fe0cf90878e.jpg

Last edited:
Seller might be thinking the engine is a 3B which is 3.4 liter displacement. But that’s a 2H as already pointed out. If I were you I wouldn’t argue with seller and just let them think it’s whatever it is.

Seller might be thinking the engine is a 3B which is 3.4 liter displacement. But that’s a 2H as already pointed out. If I were you I wouldn’t argue with seller and just let them think it’s whatever it is.
"I KNOW WHAT I HAVE, NO LOWBALLERS. Anyway, this Jeep has a 4.0L V6...."

Agreed on letting them be wrong if you know better and like their asking price.

Yeah that's what I thought... 2H motor.. was just confused by the seller and wanted certainty.

Thanks so much guys for the quick and knowledgeable support! That helps a lot! So does this look like a good engine to you? Can you guess the mileage? Odometre reads 155.000km / 96.000mi but as I am based in South America I do not believe it.

Would you buy it and is this motor still a lot of work?

Last edited:
this is 2H, the hydrolic fluid for power steering is on top of fuel filter (should be below)

If the oilpan is leaking because it is not straight (in line, flat!) anymore: those are very expensive to replace.

Thanks so much for your profound advice and excellent photos. So do you have any idea why the would change the location of the hydrolic fluid container? And seems like you would not recommend buying this car due to the oilpan leaking, am I right?

More important than the oil leak is being able to read people. Meet this person. Try to get to understand his character a bit. Find out what is motivating him/her to sell. Ask about the oil leak. How much does it leak? Has he tried to clean up around the leak to pin point it? It could be a rear main seal or front seal leak which is much harder repair than an oil pan gasket. But that would show more at the ends not the side. It could be from a side plate or other areas. But small oil leaks can be lived with for years. Just make sure to check and top your oil regularly. If the asking price is good I wouldn't let a small repair keep me away. How does it drive? 4x4 work? Is the suspension worn? flat leaf springs, leaf spring bushings cracked? How about rust under the floor also rust inside the rear of the frame? I've heard some drama about the BEB...big end bearing issues with diesels, otherwise they are very solid motors and can last a very long time with proper care.

I would say it is a H series diesel.
6 cyl 3,5 L.
They changed the valve cover for a 2H model.
H engine have the thermostat hose pointing to the driver's side instead of 2H to passenger side.
Just my 2cents.

Nice , I did find a picture with radiator hose left (coaster bus) and thought some markets had it on other side (because when buying new radiator and hoses from australia that option came up)
1972: HJ45 launched with the H, 3.6-litre
H3.671 kW (95 hp)216 N⋅m (159 lb⋅ft)1972–1980

2H4.078 kW (105 hp)240 N⋅m (177 lb⋅ft)1980–1984

But I think why I thought was a airco compressor is a H part
21-1-jpg.1619632

So the power steering fluid belongs right where it is :cheers:
a gasoline engine, o_O 🥴🤮
3.%20whats-the-best-toyota-engine-for-my-classic-land-cruiser-build.jpg

it is a H, not supposed to be in there? (I thought even these H were sold in 60, ) still worth it?

I think if it drives and sounds like a diesel why not buy it?, are there many other options?

better pictures:

Last edited:
It's 100% a 2H engine but its unlikely to be the original engine in this vehicle. The thermostat cover has been rotated to accept the top hose coming in from the left hand side of the vehicle, this is not standard, all HJ60s had radiators that had top hoses on the right hand side of the vehicle. This vehicle may have been a BJ60 originally with the 4 Cyl 3B engine.

So does this look like a good engine to you?

Its nearly impossible to assess the health of that engine visually.

If you're asking in general if the 2H is a "good" engine.. well, I think they're superb. Slow as a wet week but ultra reliable when well maintained and very well suited to what I need (long outback trips on remote tracks). If you live in a hilly area, you'll probably hate the 2H, they'll climb any hill but its often a slow trip up.

Short of a compression test which is not really practical when purchasing the best thing to check is the amount of blowby that 2H engine has.. below are links to two videos showing very bad blowby and almost non existent blowby. You really want to be towards the minimal amount, but in reality any older 2H is going to lie somewhere between these two videos.

The oil leak may be the front main seal, and it does appear the sump has been off at some point so the engine has some history but its anyone's guess what it is. There's also some hellishly dodgy plumbing going on in that vehicle for cabin heater.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom